tModLoader Experience and Classes

Are the new class advancement requirements reasonable?

• Yes! Major changes are NOT needed.

Votes: 19 76.0%
  • The Monster/Boss Orb requirements are reasonable, but not the other requirements.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The other requirements are reasonable, but not the Monster/Boss Orb requirements.

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • No! Major changes are needed.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Been trying to update from 1.2.8 to 1.3.1, but every time I open a world the game crashes. Going back to 1.2.8 makes things behave again.
I'll be releasing an update tonight with some fixes, which will hopefully include this. In the meantime, the workaround is some combination of:
  1. If you just enabled the mod, restart the game (not just reload mods)
  2. After restarting the game, enter any world on a fresh character
  3. Enter the world on your main character

EDIT: The bug fix update is out now.

Last edited:
Could you consider making a hotkey option to toggle the experience bar visibility? It'd be nice to be able to just pop it on and off when you want to check. Thank you for your good work.

Could you consider making a hotkey option to toggle the experience bar visibility? It'd be nice to be able to just pop it on and off when you want to check. Thank you for your good work.
Do you mean the xp bar itself (toggled with /expuibar) or the whole UI (toggled with /expui)?

If you mean the bar, would you prefer to have the bar show when you mouse-over the UI?
If you mean the UI, would you prefer to have it always show in the inventory screen?

I can absolutely add a hotkey, but I'm also going to try to keep the number of hotkeys to a minimum.

On the topic of hotkeys, there are current two sets of hotkeys for using abilities (the first abilities will be added very soon). If one set is vastly preferred, then I'll remove the other to cut down on keys.

Hotkey Setup #1:
Press a main key plus one of 4 modifiers to use an abilities. Example:
Shift+Q = Ability 1
Ctrl+Q = Ability 2
*can have one ability on a single key if a modifier key is assigned to the same key as main (e.g., Q+Q)

Hotkey Setup #2:
4 hotkeys for the 4 ability slots. Example:
Q = Ability 1
E = Ability 2

Edit: Still on the topic of hotkeys, I added a hotkey to "accept" when a Saint resurrects you to prevent Saints from being able to grief others by warping them back into harms way without consent. Would you prefer another non-intrusive way of "accepting" such as clicking on the XP UI?

I meant the UI. Putting it in the inventory screen would probably be a good idea if you want to cut down on hot keys. As far as the resurrecting I don't mind a hotkey. It'd be a quick way to get back into the action.

Thank you.

Thanks for the feedback. The command is /expuiinv (defaults to on) and will be available in the next update.

Given the number of settings and that fact that they are mostly on/off, I'll be adding a settings ui with toggle buttons at some point and removing the commands. The number of commands has gotten out of hand.

Hi, may I know what the current drop rate for the Orbs are now? Because in a multiplayer game I am playing with my friends it doesn't seem to spawning from both normal mobs and bosses. Also, when I looked it up on the bestiary on the recipe browser mod, it doesn't seem to be dropped by any mobs. Sorry if this is asked before, couldn't find the answer elsewhere.

Hi, may I know what the current drop rate for the Orbs are now? Because in a multiplayer game I am playing with my friends it doesn't seem to spawning from both normal mobs and bosses. Also, when I looked it up on the bestiary on the recipe browser mod, it doesn't seem to be dropped by any mobs. Sorry if this is asked before, couldn't find the answer elsewhere.
In v1.3.2, the rates are:
Ascension: expert 0.5% from all monsters that give xp, normal 0.3% from all monsters that give xp
Boss: 5% up to 50% depending on the xp of the boss relative to the current value of the orb at your level

In the upcoming v1.3.3 the rates are increased to:
Ascension: 0.7% and 0.6%
Boss: same except that the rate is increased up to triple at low level because it was too punishing in early game

With the change to instanced loot, the orbs no longer show in recipe browser but all bosses qualify for Boss Orbs and all monsters that give xp qualify for Ascension.

It seems as though the throwing class is still falling behind all of the other classes? Is it just me? Or should I multiclass to help aid the throwing damage? I'm using ninja as my choice of course.
My understanding is that it's still somewhat under-tuned with vanilla throwing weapons, but it's in a good place if you use mod throwing weapons.

Hi, i've been trying out the Assassin class for a few days, and i've noticed something i don't know if it's intentional. Spears don't seem to benefit from Opener Attacks. Again, i don't know if that's intentional or not, but spears do seem to complement this class' fighting style really well.
Similarly, i see why beam weapons and boomerangs don't benefit from Opener Attacks as well (i'm pretty sure these ones are intentional), however playing in Expert Mode i do wish they benefited from a weaker version of it, similarly to how yoyos do... Anyhow, loving your mod so far!

Hello, I have been enjoying this mod so far. I have been playing the Cleric/Saint class and it seems well-fleshed out so far when combined with the large content mods like Thorium/Calamity/Tremor/Spirit.

However, I have run into a glaring problem, and it is the damage aura. I am currently at level 34 pre-hardmode, and the aura hits like a truck, making invasions and segmented bosses like Eater of Worlds too easy.

It seems that the damage aura is always 2x the healing aura. I suggest making it the same value as the healing aura, or even half the healing aura, because as it is right now, there is a sharp up-curve where the damage just keeps on going and going and going until all you need to do is sit and win.

Thing is with the damage aura... While using calamity it eventually starts being trivial.. the damage it deals is basically nothing for hardmode calamity, Pre hardmode its almost a bit too good yes.. But i think its hard balancing it for both pre hardmode and hardmode

Hello, I have been enjoying this mod so far. I have been playing the Cleric/Saint class and it seems well-fleshed out so far when combined with the large content mods like Thorium/Calamity/Tremor/Spirit.

However, I have run into a glaring problem, and it is the damage aura. I am currently at level 34 pre-hardmode, and the aura hits like a truck, making invasions and segmented bosses like Eater of Worlds too easy.

It seems that the damage aura is always 2x the healing aura. I suggest making it the same value as the healing aura, or even half the healing aura, because as it is right now, there is a sharp up-curve where the damage just keeps on going and going and going until all you need to do is sit and win.
Damage aura will be removed when the new cleric abilities are adding (soon). The new heal skill will be usable as an attack, but is a much smaller AOE and the scaling is much less linear.

Hello i have been playing this mod in multiplaer with a friend, and i realise, when i drop and assension orb to the ground, it gives me the exp, even if i regrab it and drop it again, it gives me exp. i dont think this is intendeed, and it happens only near the spawn zone, if i go far enough, it does not happend.

i hope my friend doesnt realise this or he will exploit it so bad.

sorry if my english is bad, not my first lenguage.

Hello i have been playing this mod in multiplaer with a friend, and i realise, when i drop and assension orb to the ground, it gives me the exp, even if i regrab it and drop it again, it gives me exp. i dont think this is intendeed, and it happens only near the spawn zone, if i go far enough, it does not happend.

i hope my friend doesnt realise this or he will exploit it so bad.

sorry if my english is bad, not my first lenguage.
I am not able to reproduce this. Is it possible that you have another mod that is changing what happens when items are dropped?

I did a class of clergyman but I can not heal using the skills, after using any of the abilities the following appears placeholder and the bar that was complete empties and starts to fill up again I need help with this please

So i'm trying out the Saint class, and i have to admit, i'm rather enjoying it. I did wish, however, that there were a more melee-focused support class, similar to a Paladin. This is, of course, my bias as a D&D player, but i rather like the idea of the stalwart knight who can equally support his/her allies and hold his/her own in melee combat.
Basically, what i have in mid when i say this is a class that has the ability to tank above all else (of course, i don't expect it to tank as well as the Tank class), but who also has a minor healing skill - Either an aura of Health Regen that is active all the time, or something related to his combat ability.
Basically what i thought would be a good idea for this would be something akin to Divine Smite. Every melee hit having a chance to trigger a random bonus:
-A buff that absorbs a portion of incoming damage for the next X attacks taken (either in an aura or self version);
-A Health Regeneration aura for X seconds, or Healing Burst in a aura;
-A bonus to damage based on class level;
-A random Debuff applied to the hit enemy;
All of these tied to a cooldown, of course, so attack speed doesn't make you immortal.

So i'm trying out the Saint class, and i have to admit, i'm rather enjoying it. I did wish, however, that there were a more melee-focused support class, similar to a Paladin. This is, of course, my bias as a D&D player, but i rather like the idea of the stalwart knight who can equally support his/her allies and hold his/her own in melee combat.
Basically, what i have in mid when i say this is a class that has the ability to tank above all else (of course, i don't expect it to tank as well as the Tank class), but who also has a minor healing skill - Either an aura of Health Regen that is active all the time, or something related to his combat ability.
Basically what i thought would be a good idea for this would be something akin to Divine Smite. Every melee hit having a chance to trigger a random bonus:
-A buff that absorbs a portion of incoming damage for the next X attacks taken (either in an aura or self version);
-A Health Regeneration aura for X seconds, or Healing Burst in a aura;
-A bonus to damage based on class level;
-A random Debuff applied to the hit enemy;
All of these tied to a cooldown, of course, so attack speed doesn't make you immortal.
Thanks for the ideas. I'll keep these in mind during the reworks.

I need to know how I can heal the cleric's abilities.
Not yet implemented. See changelog or discord for more details.

Back
Top Bottom