Expert Mode Recursive Fully-Automated Lunar Event Autofarm

Welp, this solved my problem, good suggestion on the hoik track vs the delay between pillars. I'm not sure what's going on, but the dragon certainly doesn't seem to be having trouble killing things in a timely fashion, just with not clearing the pillars fast enough. It's doing ~ 1.1k damage per hit, averaging around 6k or 7k while eating things. Maybe that's lower than it needs to be but, heck, this'll do as far as I'm concerned.

It brings me back up to close to 500 health after each pillar, which is enough that I no longer have any problems with dying during my test runs. I rerouted some wires, notably the green one, and added the extra teleporter that drops me onto the hoik trigger and runs me to the far end, then on to the next farm. I should probably add an extra set of green triggers above that bottom right teleporter platform, just for safety, but it works pretty fine so far.

Looking good - the hoik along the ground makes a lot of sense since so many hearts get dropped there, and the delay before going to the next farm is minimal. You might end up getting hit by hallow mobs along the way, but the hearts you collect will most likely outheal that damage greatly. This is a nice alternative to equipping health regen items.

I'm curious, by the way: the layer of pearlstone under the spawn area, deliberate, I assume, because it mostly spawns flying things that avoid triggering the timer reset, once the pillar is dead?

I'm curious, by the way: the layer of pearlstone under the spawn area, deliberate, I assume, because it mostly spawns flying things that avoid triggering the timer reset, once the pillar is dead?

Yes. Of the three hallow spawns, only one can trigger the plates (the unicorn). The reason why there's a gap between the floor and the pressure plates above is to make sure the two hallow fliers pass by underneath and don't trigger the plates.

Why are pillars not spawning to the left of the farm where the mobs actually spawn, that looks like a pretty big open space to happen

It works perfectly, but the Nebula Pillar keeps sending some sort of glowing orb through the wall to take away half my health, and it sends them so often that I end up dying.

It works perfectly, but the Nebula Pillar keeps sending some sort of glowing orb through the wall to take away half my health, and it sends them so often that I end up dying.

Those are being fired from the evolution beasts. Try wearing a cross necklace (or a star veil) and see if the problem persists. (You shouldn't be able to get damaged at all as long as you are in the hoik + teleporter thing that constantly damages you.)

I just tested this on the 13.2 world or something (dont remember exactly which), and some Vortex Fragments ended up beneath the pickup points.

This is probably a stupid question, actually, I have three... So I noticed a few blue wires traveling off the screenshot, I would assume that it just connects the teleporters but want to be sure before sinking hours into this build so I don't mess it up. Also, how did you get the pillars to spawn directly in the same spot every time, mine seem to spawn randomly. Finally, how are your pillars spawning underground?

This is probably a stupid question, actually, I have three... So I noticed a few blue wires traveling off the screenshot, I would assume that it just connects the teleporters but want to be sure before sinking hours into this build so I don't mess it up.

Yes they connect to the next arena. However, its been a while since I posted this farm and I haven't checked whether it still works properly after all the updates after 1.3.1. You might want to download the world and do some test runs there to make sure everything is working OK before building one in your own world.

Also, how did you get the pillars to spawn directly in the same spot every time, mine seem to spawn randomly. Finally, how are your pillars spawning underground?

The pillars are forced to spawn in a very specific location by blocking the spawns elsewhere in a nearby area. The spawns are blocked by constructing long horizontal single-block-thick lines separated by 34 tiles. There is some good wiki info regarding pillar spawn mechanics that I used to force the spawns in specific locations.

The spawns by the way are always above 0 altitude, so they aren't actually underground even though it seems that way from the pics and video.

I watched the video and I am so damn speechless. I kept grinning from ear to ear, seeing the awesomeness happening in front of me and knowing there are people like you out there who have all Terraria's mechanics mapped out inside their head, abuse the heck out of them and basically become Terraria Gods among men.

I, sir, salute you.

Also, you have a nice youtube voice.

I've tried it out a few times, but I have to give some criticism here; the Pillars/Moon Lord auto-farm is incredibly easy to break without me actually trying to break anything.
Teleporters teleporting me out too soon (at one of the pillars and at the Moon Lord arena, got back at the start with my pants down) or not teleporting me at all (at one of the pillars, got stuck warping around).
And the Moon Lord killed me once in that arena. Probably unlucky. I also got killed at one of the pillars. Dunno how, I was AFK.

I wonder how messed up the whole timer thing is after something goes wrong. Does it need resetting? Edit: Silly me, quitting the map resets all timers to off.

Still a great thing you made though. :)

Last edited:
I've tried it out a few times, but I have to give some criticism here; the Pillars/Moon Lord auto-farm is incredibly easy to break without me actually trying to break anything.
Teleporters teleporting me out too soon (at one of the pillars and at the Moon Lord arena, got back at the start with my pants down) or not teleporting me at all (at one of the pillars, got stuck warping around).
And the Moon Lord killed me once in that arena. Probably unlucky. I also got killed at one of the pillars. Dunno how, I was AFK

I'm not sure if any of the updates made the playthrough more difficult, but even when I constructed the entire world there was a non-0 chance of failure at several junctures. First, as you discovered, it is possible to die at the moment the Moon Lord spawns in - the Moon Lord will spawn outside of the arena and then move inside it, and in that time its possible that one of his hands will clip the player. From testing the likelihood was small, but there was still that chance of bricking the run.

The pillar farms, however, tended to be fairly consistent at the time of construction, but perhaps one of the updates changed that. I'm not sure why you experienced failures of being teleported out upon beating a pillar, since the mechanism involves mobs resetting a timer. If no mobs are around and the timer is allowed to go off, the player is guaranteed to teleport. Nevertheless, there's a chance of bricking the run at one of the pillars (don't remember which one) by teleporting out too soon (due to a pause in mob spawns), but from testing the chance of that was pretty low too.

Lastly, there's a chance of bricking the run with a bad Pantera spawn - if the beak hits the player, the run ends.

All in all, I estimated the chance of a bricked run at around 10%, but again that might have changed through one of the updates. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do to lower that chance, especially with the Moon Lord arena - that arena was a major challenge to get working fairly consistently. I haven't touched Terraria in a long while now, but when I return to the game I'll have another look at this playthrough to see if it can be improved, especially after all the new items were introduced in the updates I missed!

I went through a few while watching and it went fine. Every time I went AFK the game knew about it and let things fail. /conspiracy
I wouldn't worry about it though; it's without question an amazing thing you made and in a chaotic game like Terraria anything can go wrong at any time.
I reckon it's quite commendable of you to make sure it only rarely happens. :)

@DicemanX I know this thread is a bit old but I had a couple questions about the cultist detection and kill chamber at the beginning.

Is that part of the arena constructed around what used to be your dungeon entrance? I don't see anything that looks like dungeon blocks so does that mean the cultists will spawn even if the original dungeon entrance is gone?

How do you get them to drop? Is it as simple as removing 1 block layer from their original spawn surface so they appear and fall?

Last question is about building the pillar arenas. I read that you blocked all the y-coordinate spawn locations so each pillar would have to spawn at its default height, so they always appear in your arenas. I know the default x-coordinates are set based on world size; I read the thread that gave those numbers. Are the y-coordinates likewise always the same based on world size? Is there a way to figure this out ahead of time or do I just have to spawn the pillars and see where they end up, then go back and build there?

If you have time to answer these I appreciate it! Your builds are amazing and I'm really excited to try this one.

Back
Top Bottom