Expert Mode Ultimate AFK Arena for Pumpkin Moon + Frost Moon + All Invasions + Bosses

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
A fellow T-MEC member, @Thiner, proposed a new method for preventing damage from mobs and bosses in this thread:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/a-new-type-of-invulnerability-machine.27586/

@ZeroGravitas, @z26, @Bahamut2001, and @stefnotch worked out many of the details regarding using fall damage as a way of blocking other sources of damage. The video below showcases the arena in action using Bahamut2001's version of the invulnerability machine. The arena can be used to farm AFK the following:

Pumpkin Moon
Frost Moon
Martian Invasion
Pirate Invasion
Goblin Invasion
All Bosses (except for Wall of Flesh, Skeletron, and Cultist/Moon Lord)

The arena is also capable of generating up to 80 platinum per Pumpkin Moon event provided that the strongest version of the Stardust Dragon is used in the farming.

Video 1:

Video 2:

Schematics:

5tEM1U3.png

lKPX8uv.png

Explanation:

The player takes fall damage when dropped from a height of at least 26 tiles. 25 or more defense is required to reduce fall damage to 1, and the damage grants invulnerability for 20 game ticks (1/3rd of a second if the game is running at 60 FPS). To accelerate the fall, a down hoik track is used, and the player gets teleported back to the top to repeat the process. The player's life loss is greatly minimized by using honey, a Heart Lantern, and a Campfire. Mobs and bosses periodically drop hearts to keep the player's life at max, although a Regeration Potion almost entirely stops lifeloss (completely unnecessary though).

The spawn surface is on the far left, consisting of a series of teleporters which teleport spawned mobs into a teleporter right next to the player hoik track. The reason for this set-up is to ensure that the Stardust Dragon doesn't wander too far, and to ensure that the player grabs the items, hearts, and money dropped by those mobs.

As shown in the video, the player teleporter connects to a separate Moon Lord arena on the left edge of the world, Plantera spawner below ground, and a martian Probe spawner in space.

The player can also summon a merchant to sell of loot after farming. The merchant is necessary to initiate the Pirate, Goblin, and Martian Invasions (all those events need at least 1 NPC to be nearby).

World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBZGF6bC1NMno5OFU/view

Last edited:
In before fall damage is nerfer by separating it from enemy damage.

This arena is amazing! Well done, and thanks for the download link.

Very nice use of the fall based invulnerability machine idea. Neat layout for setting up for the various bosses and invasions, etc too, as always, and good video explanation of it all. :happy:

The 'flying' lava in your camera mode captures above puzzled me for a while. I wasn't 100% that it wasn't just decorative ruby gemspark walls, even watching the 1st half of your video. Obviously the (grey painted) bubble blocks (?) holding the lava have not rendered in the in-game capture. That's a bug I've seen elsewhere, I think, in someone else's build posted to reddit, a while back (don't think that was bubble block though...). You got a couple of stray actuator there too (tut, tut). ;)

Very nice use of the fall based invulnerability machine idea. Neat layout for setting up for the various bosses and invasions, etc too, as always, and good video explanation of it all. :happy:

The 'flying' lava in your camera mode captures above puzzled me for a while. I wasn't 100% that it wasn't just decorative ruby gemspark walls, even watching the 1st half of your video. Obviously the (grey painted) bubble blocks (?) holding the lava have not rendered in the in-game capture. That's a bug I've seen elsewhere, I think, in someone else's build posted to reddit, a while back (don't think that was bubble block though...). You got a couple of stray actuator there too (tut, tut). ;)

Wow, didn't notice the lack of bubble block rendering at all! The bubble blocks can be seen in the video, but it's strange that they seem to all be missing in the pics. And yeah I'll have to remove those actuators - forgot about those since I originally had a "pit" that would trap spawned enemies to give me peace of mind while I sold off loot after an event. I then hit upon the idea of the lava above the spawn surface and removed the extra actuated blocks and forgot about removing the actuators too. I'll update the pics to ensure the bubble blocks show up and the actuators are removed.

Amazing, as always. I have four questions, if you don't mind:

1) What altitude is the farm built at?
2) Is there anything stopping you from using a king/queen statue to summon an NPC to sell the drops at the end, as opposed to using teleporters?
3) If a mob spawns on a teleporter and goes into the chamber (as planned), is there not a chance it will be teleported back out onto the spawn platform by another mob that has just spawned? A while ago, you said I shouldn't use teleporters on my pumpkin moon farm as it the mobs might send each other in and out of the grinder.
4) Would flame traps in the wall of the "fall chamber" ( is there a proper word for this?) help kill the pumkings a little bit faster?

Thanks again, I'm always inspired after looking at one of your contraptions!

Amazing, as always. I have four questions, if you don't mind:

1) What altitude is the farm built at?

Just above 0 altitude, so that I can spawn Plantera bulbs in the area below the arena.

2) Is there anything stopping you from using a king/queen statue to summon an NPC to sell the drops at the end, as opposed to using teleporters?

The statues would work OK as well, but they don't guarantee that a merchant will be summoned. There's also a 5 second cooldown each time you activate the statue, and if you spawn a lot of non-merchants before you finally get a merchant, it might be hard to click on the merchant.

3) If a mob spawns on a teleporter and goes into the chamber (as planned), is there not a chance it will be teleported back out onto the spawn platform by another mob that has just spawned? A while ago, you said I shouldn't use teleporters on my pumpkin moon farm as it the mobs might send each other in and out of the grinder.

Yes, there's a chance of a back-teleport, but it's minimized by having hoik teeth over the destination teleporter to eject the mobs. I forgot why I advised you to not use teleporters, but there must have been a good reason, because I've used the teleporter approach in AFK Moon arenas before. There are some situations where the teleporters are not necessary.

4) Would flame traps in the wall of the "fall chamber" ( is there a proper word for this?) help kill the pumkings a little bit faster?

I'm still not sure if traps interfere with the Stardust Dragon. It doesn't seem to be the case, but the traps are now so weak compared to the Stardust Dragon that they are arguably not worth the effort. The Dragon does 1000-2000 damage per hit, whereas the traps would only to a maximum of 40-60 per hit, usually much less due to mob and boss defense. If the traps were to interfere with the Dragon in any game frame, that would be a serious loss of DPS.

Thanks again, I'm always inspired after looking at one of your contraptions!

I'm glad they inspire you to build! I have plenty more builds on the way as well :).

I don't get the purpose of the two slime statues and the bird statue in the bottom left near the bed...? They do not appear to be hooked up to anything but each other and the teleporter near the bedroom?

I don't get the purpose of the two slime statues and the bird statue in the bottom left near the bed...?
The slime statues are for the nebula armor buffs and the bat (not bird) statue is for the feral bite debuff that bats give you. (increases damage by 20% , but lowers health regen and inflicts other random debuffs) He gets those buffs, swaps armor, then summons his dragon to give it the increased damage.

It is explained in the video not long before he starts the actual event, if you want to hear dicemanx explain it.

The slime statues are for the nebula armor buffs and the bat (not bird) statue is for the feral bite debuff that bats give you. (increases damage by 20% , but lowers health regen and inflicts other random debuffs) He gets those buffs, swaps armor, then summons his dragon to give it the increased damage.

It is explained in the video not long before he starts the actual event, if you want to hear dicemanx explain it.

Oh. I wasn't able to watch the video due to something else I was doing at the time, lol.

No problem. If I hadn't have watched it, I'd be confused about the bat statue too. I read about the new debuff they gave bats in the patch notes and promptly forgot about it after. lol

I added a second video - check it out in the opening post (video #2). In the new video I showcase the Frost Moon event (final wave time of 11:48pm) and a Martian Madness event (9 Martian Saucers).

I also showcase the free cam mode designed by five--three which will be featured in a T-MEC community mod being worked on by five--three, stefnotch, and FSG Gaming. Here's a link to the thread:

http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/mefbaea.32598/

Oh. I wasn't able to watch the video due to something else I was doing at the time, lol.

I decided to put up a guide for the dragon summoning protocol here:
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/summoning-the-strongest-possible-stardust-dragon.33363/

Thanks for the info! I was hoping I'd see a farm like this soon; we're getting Fishron on console soon so I'm building an all-boss farm in anticipation. Can fishron be summoned underground? If I'm far enough east/west?

If not, you mentioned at one point that the small body of liquid needs to be connected to a larger one in order summon him. Does the connection need to be horizontal? I've done a quick MS Paint drawing (we don't have tEdit) that shows where I would like to build a "fishing hole" (in the red circle) that's connected to the ocean. Would this work? Or is there an issue with altitude?

Fishing hole.png

Thanks for the info! I was hoping I'd see a farm like this soon; we're getting Fishron on console soon so I'm building an all-boss farm in anticipation. Can fishron be summoned underground? If I'm far enough east/west?

Fishron can be summoned underground all the way down to the cavern layer. I'm sure you could also summon him in the underworld from lava. It seems the only positional requirement is that you need to be close enough to the world's edge to be in the ocean biome if you were on the surface.

If not, you mentioned at one point that the small body of liquid needs to be connected to a larger one in order summon him. Does the connection need to be horizontal? I've done a quick MS Paint drawing (we don't have tEdit) that shows where I would like to build a "fishing hole" (in the red circle) that's connected to the ocean. Would this work? Or is there an issue with altitude?

From what I've observed the body of water follows the same rules as it does for general fishing:

http://terraria.wiki.gg/Fishing

The only area that counts is the area below the liquid's surface, and it needs to be 1000 tiles in size or greater to be able to fish up Fishron.

@DicemanX How do i use this arena for invasions? i am forced to teleport back to the base in order for invasions to start. ive tried setting spawn point with that bed near the bat statue in the arena/farm but it wont allow me to set a spawn point there.

@DicemanX How do i use this arena for invasions? i am forced to teleport back to the base in order for invasions to start. ive tried setting spawn point with that bed near the bat statue in the arena/farm but it wont allow me to set a spawn point there.

The goblin/pirate/martian invasions can be triggered by teleporting in the NPC. You don't have to go back to home base.

@DicemanX Do you know how rare the Brain Scrambler/Scutlix mount is? i mean imust have farmed the martian madness 50+ times. and i cant seem to get it. haha. is it still available as a drop?

Back
Top Bottom