Expert Solo the final boss with any class, no arena

Evan20000

Terrarian
It occurred to me I should crosspost this here from the other thread so that it doesn't get buried within a day or two. If you guys have any questions/feedback, fire away.

I couldn't sleep tonight so I made you guys something I hope helps. If you guys found this informative, let me know; I'm willing to make more of them for other aspects of the game. I don't know if this is the optimal strategy for this boss, but it's the one I've had the most luck with. You don't need an arena or many potions at all, but you can add them if you feel they'll help.

My accessories were:
Menacing Wings (you can actually swap these out for whatever)
Menacing Celestial Stone
Menacing Celestial Shell
Warding Ankh Shield
Menacing Worm Scarf
Menacing Frozen Shell

I would swap out the Frozen Shell with a Paladin Shield if you have one (I didn't) or that defense boosting item if you rolled a Crimson World. You could also use a third sun/moon stone which is probably the best bet. My loadout is far from optimal, honestly.

Liked by Yoraiz0r *Le gaspe* YOU IN THE BIG LEAGUES NOW! :)

seriously though this is a good tier guide, and not having an optimal setup isn't gonna stop everyone
[DOUBLEPOST=1436611073,1436610601][/DOUBLEPOST]
Liked by Yoraiz0r *Le gaspe* YOU IN THE BIG LEAGUES NOW! :)

seriously though this is a good tier guide, and not having an optimal setup isn't gonna stop everyone
Pirates are invading from the West ~:naughty: so immediately after solo murdering the moon lord you then die to pirate captains right?

I'm glad you guys are finding it useful. I feel like most of the reasons people are having trouble with this boss is that they either A, stay between his hands for prolonged periods or B, kill the head last and I'm doing my best to hopefully illuminate that.

Pirates are invading from the West ~:naughty: so immediately after solo murdering the moon lord you then die to pirate captains right?

Hahah, I just mowed them all down with my SDMG before they even got onscreen for the most part and enjoyed my easy 1 plat in drops plus gold furniture. :D

SCUUUUUUUUUUM! ~:mad:They'll tear out yer gibblets, an hang ya from third maaaaaaast!

On a side note he really isn't all that hard despite the massive number of threads demanding nerfs on him everywhere...(BRING LIFESTEAL BACK)(WHY CANT I JUST SPAM THE NURSE AND NEVER LOSE) I don't see the problem, and the moment I learned to dodge the 6-eye attack the fight got tremendously easier

seriously though rod of discord helps a ton here since it can instantly get you out of the way when you screw up

l do both and die horribly . So I should change my arena to be more mobile... I like having the campfire buff and the heart lamp buff. Should I just have them on single blocks in the sky?

If you want, but reaping the benefit of them requires you to linger near them which is contradictory to the strategy as a whole. You're much better off just stacking accessories with warding that increase life regen, but I don't think that's a good idea when you could just optimize your defense.

EDIT: If you have access to it, Titanium Melee set should make this fight immensely easier. I unfortunately rolled an Adamantite world, so this wasn't an option for me.

Last edited:
If you want, but reaping the benefit of them requires you to linger near them which is contradictory to the strategy as a whole. You're much better off just stacking accessories with warding that increase life regen, but I don't think that's a good idea when you could just optimize your defense.

EDIT: If you have access to it, Titanium Melee set should make this fight immensely easier. I unfortunately rolled an Adamantite world, so this wasn't an option for me.
I have over a 150+ heart crystals that I can turn into heart lanterns and I can make as many campfires as needed... Gathering gold to reforge items takes a long time... It might take 50 tries at 20 gold a try :( Right now I have 81 defense, 84 when werewolf. I can increase my regen more with that ring that reduces potion sickness and increases regen... I'm thinking of using the beetle shell instead of the beetle scail... The defense one... To make my defense 93... Of course I use iron skin and the well fed buff... I have the flying saucer so flight is easy... I have the rod of discord...

I have no trouble with 80 defense as a Ranger. I feel like 80 is your Ranger/Mage target and 110 is your melee target. Past that, it may be a methodology error. Next time you attempt it, record it so it's easier to pinpoint what part of the fight goes pear-shaped.

I'm pretty sure that using ichor bullets for at least the first part of the fight is way better than using chlorophite to hit what you actually want to hit and do more damage at the same time.

I was unlucky enough to roll a Corruption World which is by all means worse for Expert Mode.

Additionally, the Vortex Beater has quite a large spread meaning my effective DPS is significantly smaller and the homing projectiles will still target the hands. :(

Chlorophite bullets are fast enough that if you aim slightly above Moon Lord's head, most of your salvo will find their intended target, although the homing projectiles from the beater will still go wherever they want. Because of this, I feel chain gun is a much better option, like I said in the video description.

I was unlucky enough to roll a Corruption World which is by all means worse for Expert Mode.

But the EoW's boss drop is a flat 17% damage reduction. Thats alot of effective defense right there. And it can be reforged to warding as well. Wouldn't that work out better for expert endgame than most other things?

It's extremely good, but there's plenty of viable alternatives in Crimson. Namely the +7 defense knuckles or whatever those things are. Being able to run a second Paladin Shield (basically) if you so desire is a very nice thing to have. The only other thing Corruption has going for it off the top of my head is the Dart Rifle. I can't say how the Dart Pistol compares, but the Rifle is absolutely spectacular.

The loss of Ichor Flasks and Ichor projectiles is too huge to ignore though. Also Vamp Knives, but those have been bad for a while now.

Just finished up my Melee and Mage characters; can confirm this works with both of them. Melee is the class that has the easiest time with this boss imo.

I'll need to see if this works with a Summoner character on my next playthrough.

Is rod of discord or master ninja gear optimal with the UFO mount?
So if you're using Shrimpy Truffle instead of the UFO mount, you don't need RoD/Ninja gear/Titanium Armor Set Bonus because you can just outrun the laser when you're under half health. Otherwise, yes, you will need one of the three items mentioned in the video with the UFO mount. It's definitely possible without it, but you're forced to cross over the top eye every time to avoid it, which isn't feasible if you stupidly kill the hands first like I did in this video. Basically the Rod of Discord and Ninja Gear are failsafes if you mess up your positioning/kill order. Defensive Beetle Armor with Worm Scarf+Resistance Potion can outright tank the laser assuming you're not getting hit by much else (It will only hit for just over 100, which is managable).

Back
Top Bottom