PC Extremely Compact RAM

Programmatic

Steampunker
I've been experimenting with storage devices for a while, and I've come up with what might be the most compact RAM chip possible. The chip I made uses a 12-bit input to select one of 4096 different 8-bit values to read from or write to. Each memory cell uses an AND gate to read and a faulty lamp gate to write, and the active byte is selected using a large multiplexer.

Here is the RAM chip in action. I couldn't show you the whole thing because of its massive size, but it's mostly just a lot of repeated components. The 12 inputs on the left are to select a byte, and the 8 inputs on the right are used to interact with the active byte:

Eventually, I plan on using this chip as part of a programmable computer, so I'll give updates on it once I make more progress.

Ooh, interesting. I don't really understand how you people "store" things in logic gates but I haven't been able to use them yet so eh.

If my computer IRL didn't suck so much and could handle running Terraria I would be trying to make my own computer in the game. That does look like a very compact set up for RAM. You should post screen shots so we can see the whole thing. If I can ever get a better computer IRL I might need to make a RAM setup like this for the next mini-game I make like the Duck Hunt game I made when the wiring update was added. I have many more ideas for fun mini-game and some for adventure maps. But my computer sucks too much to run things. Each update has just made it run slower and slower. `:cry:

@ChippyGaming It's not that hard to understand when you break it all down to it's basic functions. If you need any help with wiring stuff you can always ask me. Just send me a screen shot and tell me what it is you are trying to do. `;)

If my computer IRL didn't suck so much and could handle running Terraria I would be trying to make my own computer in the game. That does look like a very compact set up for RAM. You should post screen shots so we can see the whole thing. If I can ever get a better computer IRL I might need to make a RAM setup like this for the next mini-game I make like the Duck Hunt game I made when the wiring update was added. I have many more ideas for fun mini-game and some for adventure maps. But my computer sucks too much to run things. Each update has just made it run slower and slower. `:cry:

@ChippyGaming It's not that hard to understand when you break it all down to it's basic functions. If you need any help with wiring stuff you can always ask me. Just send me a screen shot and tell me what it is you are trying to do. `;)

Here's a closeup of 16 bytes of RAM:

PHDqcPh.png
8fXJGrd.png

And here's a VERY large image of the entire device:

2vStzy5.png

HWHuyqD.jpg

That's a lot of RAM... Very, very tasty RAM. `:p If only there was a way in Terraria to make circuits that contained a set of logic gates and wiring in them to make things like this much smaller. A computer in Terraria still just takes up the whole map.

Back
Top Bottom