Video Eye of Cthulhu, Expert Mode

FlakMaster

The Destroyer
I will be posting up my boss fights on my current playthrough as a guide for preparation and engagement, but also to spark discussion on the bosses themselves. First on the list is the Eye of Cthulhu. Undoubtedly, most will not have an issue with this, but it is the first boss I encountered.

First thoughts? Pretty simple. It's something you can't guarantee to avoid, so it's best to be able to recover from hits. I did get hit quite a lot overall, but that is mainly because there were a lot of enemies to avoid easily. The latter EoC is a better reference to take after. This son-of-a-:red: is not very complicated to engage, just hilariously evasive at its final moments.

Gear set-up is pretty simple. Gold Armour, Flurry Boots and Blizzard in a Bottle with a combination of ironskin potion, regeneration (regen pot, campfire, well fed, heart lantern) are key things to point out. Snowball Cannon is now super powerful, with it shooting high-velocity projectiles and has ammunition that is very easy to acquire. I daresay that the Snowman Cannon was buffed a little too much, as it out-performs Platinum Bow + Frostburn arrows in the ease of use (high velocity and knockback) while still being comparable in DPS. Oh, and it has autouse too.

I think the biggest factor which assisted me is the insane regen that is accessible very early in the game. As you might be able to see from the video, most of the hits I were suffering I quickly recovered from. And I did get hit quite a fair amount. I'm pretty sure, despite my perhaps lack of evasiveness, I did not dip below 200 health. Despite this being the first boss, I am feeling like the regeneration I got was a little too powerful.

Anyway, one boss ticked off. I will be sure to repeat this procedure for the Eater of Worlds (Woo, I got Corruption :happy:)

I did EoC without preparation at all, it just spawned one night, I had about 200 HP.
My gear was mismatched, part silver part lead part ancient shadow greaves.
Did it with Enchanted Sword and boomstick with regular bullets. '-'
I did heal with the nurse I think 2 times though.
I had no heart crystal or fire set up.

240 health, Platinum Bow, Fire Arrows, nothing else.

I got EOC down to 200 health before morning, if I had an archery potion I would've probably gotten him down. Was still a really fun fight no matter what.

240 health, Platinum Bow, Fire Arrows, nothing else.

I got EOC down to 200 health before morning, if I had an archery potion I would've probably gotten him down. Was still a really fun fight no matter what.

Did you start the fight at the start of the night or...?

Also, what armour did you have? Because I would have thought facing the EoC during its last super mobile stage would do nothing but whittle your health away.

Did you start the fight at the start of the night or...?

Start of the night, it spawned on it's own. I'm pretty sure if I spawned it myself it would've gone down but.

I also had Tungston armor. I think it's also worth mentioning my boyfriend and best friend were also there, and EOC was targeting them too, but.

Oh, I see. That'll add a bit of health on to it.

That, and multiplayer can have its issues in terms of proper mob synching.

You can get two of the same by having a natural one spawn as well as one you summoned with their summoning item. Works for mechanicals too.

What I think is interesting is the Nurse NPC. For a lot of battles, especially in multiplayer, she's a rather OP tool to use in battle. She can heal herself quickly, which means you don't have to mind damaging her a little. My friend and I simply moved her into the arena for each boss fight we had to do, except for Wall of Flesh. While one of us was low, the other would aggro the boss and we could trade places and heal this way. The Nurse never died once.

That's quite a decent tactic for the early bosses, but I definitely wouldn't rely on that when you get to the likes of the Destroyer :p

Full tungsten armor with tungsten bow with fire arrows and jester arrows too. I almost forgot about my potions. Regeneration, iron skin, and archery potions.

Only used fossil armor and bone javelins with bone knives with 140 health
The magic carpet helped alot in that fight even though me and Cthulhu killed each other (I threw alot of javelins at him he used that crazy charge killed me tried to fly away and exploded due to the DPS of the javelins)

Only used fossil armor and bone javelins with bone knives with 140 health
The magic carpet helped alot in that fight even though me and Cthulhu killed each other (I threw alot of javelins at him he used that crazy charge killed me tried to fly away and exploded due to the DPS of the javelins)

I miss pyramids :/

You can get two of the same by having a natural one spawn as well as one you summoned with their summoning item. Works for mechanicals too.
What about smashing a 3rd Orb/Heart and Worm Food/Bloody Spine?
Or Old Man and Clothier Vood- Oh... Right.
Or finishing LE and the Sigil? (Two moon lords? Oh heck no!)
Or... Uh...
I listed off all the bosses with summoning items...

What about smashing a 3rd Orb/Heart and Worm Food/Bloody Spine?
Or Old Man and Clothier Vood- Oh... Right.
Or finishing LE and the Sigil? (Two moon lords? Oh heck no!)
Or... Uh...
I listed off all the bosses with summoning items...

First wouldn't work because EoW/BoC immediately spawns instead of giving a short 'warning time' before spawning. Third won't work as you cannot use the sigil while the lunar events are taking place.

Back
Top Bottom