Eye Of Cthulu expert mode melee.

thecoolkni

Terrarian
I recently started an expert mode warrior playthrough, And I'm wondering how one kills the EoC Expert using only melee weapons. Should I go for projectile melee weapons, Like the Enchanted Sword Or the Ice Blade, Or are there other weapons? Thanks, in advance.

Note: My character is hardcore, so lay off on the extremeness, please.:D

You can use a Rally yoyo or demonite/crimtane yoyo by mining/bombing demonite/crimtane underground or from partial defeat of the world's evil's boss. For my first expert EoC, I used the Starfury, so there's that too.

Enchanted Sword and Ice Blade seem OK. Yoyo's are good at closer distances, though some higher tier yoyos have more range and can be devastating when used properly. Starfury is by far the best early game melee weapon and serves well till hardmode. Long horizontal arena, hermes and rocket ( spectre if you can get the latter ) boots are recommended. As always you should use potions to make the fight easier ( EoC starts to be very, very, very nasty below around 10-5% hp ) and heart lanterns + campfires in case you got hit, which can happen if you try to switch directions.

You can use a Rally yoyo or demonite/crimtane yoyo by mining/bombing demonite/crimtane underground or from partial defeat of the world's evil's boss. For my first expert EoC, I used the Starfury, so there's that too.
A Rally Yoyo is a good idea, the EoC will hit the yoyo with its mad dash attack and will get hurt quite a bit. Thanks again.
[DOUBLEPOST=1439323974,1439323760][/DOUBLEPOST]
Enchanted Sword and Ice Blade seem OK. Yoyo's are good at closer distances, though some higher tier yoyos have more range and can be devastating when used properly. Starfury is by far the best early game melee weapon and serves well till hardmode. Long horizontal arena, hermes and rocket ( spectre if you can get the latter ) boots are recommended. As always you should use potions to make the fight easier ( EoC starts to be very, very, very nasty below around 10-5% hp ) and heart lanterns + campfires in case you got hit, which can happen if you try to switch directions.
I'm a bit skeptical about using the Starfury because,

1: It isn't very easy to obtain for a hardcore player

2: The EoC will dodge the stars, especially in its second form.

Imo Amazon is better, it's fairly easier to obtain if you know how to farm underground jungle monsters, provides more damage and longer flight time.

I recently started an expert mode warrior playthrough, And I'm wondering how one kills the EoC Expert using only melee weapons. Should I go for projectile melee weapons, Like the Enchanted Sword Or the Ice Blade, Or are there other weapons? Thanks, in advance.

Note: My character is hardcore, so lay off on the extremeness, please.:D
Get a starfury and decent yoyo :P and then build a good arena with campfires and wooden platforms

Imo Amazon is better, it's fairly easier to obtain if you know how to farm underground jungle monsters, provides more damage and longer flight time.
I'll try for it, I don't know if I can though.:p

EDIT: It's actually really easy to craft, I didn't know.

Last edited:
You can easily get starfury if you have meteorite in your world and destroy like 2 shadow orbs with explosives. If you are lucky, you will get a musket and then Arms Dealer is going to appear. You buy bunch of musket bullets from him, upgrade them to meteorite bullets, run across the world and spam with musket, it will bounce once it hits the floating island. Else you might try your luck in finding water bolt on surface and do basically the same.

You can easily get starfury if you have meteorite in your world and destroy like 2 shadow orbs with explosives. If you are lucky, you will get a musket and then Arms Dealer is going to appear. You buy bunch of musket bullets from him, upgrade them to meteorite bullets, run across the world and spam with musket, it will bounce once it hits the floating island. Else you might try your luck in finding water bolt on surface and do basically the same.

Getting a musket from destroying two shadow orbs isn't lucky, when the first shadow orb you destroy in a world will always drop a musket.

One option that worked well for me even on my mage character was simply to dash along a long, horizontal arena while throwing an enchanted boomerang behind me, resulting in the boomerang repeatedly drilling EoC every time that it dashed at me. Obviously, this sort of tactic could work equally well with any boomerang-type weapon, but the higher the damage, the better, ofc. :dryadsmile:

Granted, this basically relies on the availability of hermes boots or better, some sort of double jump, and preferably some swiftness potions as well.

Getting a musket from destroying two shadow orbs isn't lucky, when the first shadow orb you destroy in a world will always drop a musket.

Yeah, completely forgot about that one. I think I've had Shadow Orb in mind and mentioned Musket, these drop pretty randomly. Also the last world I played had Crimson and The Undertaker didn't seem to drop first as opposed to musket.

Obviously, this sort of tactic could work equally well with any boomerang-type weapon, but the higher the damage, the better, ofc. :dryadsmile:

Thorn Chakram OP.

Maybe using Molten Armor, Fiery Greatsword(you can get a Reaver Shark very early) and all Warding Accessories can be useful.
Just a small joke.

Spears are good against some enemies, but it may be ridiculous to attack him without good armor. I recommend a yo-yo or a boomerang (Ice Boomerang/Thorn Chackram) that deals decent damage. Flails may be fine too (Ball O' Hurt/Meatball).

Still, his 2nd form may be hard to hit and I recommend high velocity weapons for this. I was usually using a Space Gun for this.

One option that worked well for me even on my mage character was simply to dash along a long, horizontal arena while throwing an enchanted boomerang behind me, resulting in the boomerang repeatedly drilling EoC every time that it dashed at me. Obviously, this sort of tactic could work equally well with any boomerang-type weapon, but the higher the damage, the better, ofc. :dryadsmile:
I think this strategy would work with a yoyo and (possibly) a flail as well.

With very high defence and the main buffs (well fed, ironskin, regen) with camplanterns, you won't have to worry about surviving too much. So, considering that part of the preparation, most projectile melee weapons should work.

With very high defence and the main buffs (well fed, ironskin, regen) with camplanterns, you won't have to worry about surviving too much. So, considering that part of the preparation, most projectile melee weapons should work.
Thanks, I think I've been overthinking the whole thing.

I think this strategy would work with a yoyo and (possibly) a flail as well.
Indeed it could. :dryadgrin: The only differences being range differences, and the weapon behavior, ofc. The one thing that made boomerang weapons stand out for this was their returning behavior after being thrown behind the character while running, as running away from a returning boomerang leads to it being in the air for an exceptionally long time, and also allows you to deal damage from a safer distance than most other melee weapons.

That being said, holding a yo-yo or flail out behind oneself while running would work fine as well, with the only real downside being a loss of range as compared to the boomerang weapons. Of course, since I was doing this with a mage character which is inherently squishy, I cared about having the extra range of the boomerang. With more defense, it may not matter so much. :dryadhappy:

Back
Top Bottom