F.lux, a program that makes night gaming less unhealthy for your eyes

Do you do midnight gaming?

• I'm all nocturnal

Votes: 20 90.9%
  • Sleeping is better!

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
Thanks for the download! Definitely going to get it.

Also like the fact that I can disable it if I want to use programs like Paint.Net. Also, mind if I post this on another forum to help spread it?

http://www.bluelightexposed.com/#where-is-blue-light-found

"Our eyes' natural filters do not provide sufficient protection against blue light rays from the sun, let alone the blue light emanating from these devices or from blue light emitted from fluorescent-light tubes. Prolonged exposure to blue light may cause retinal damage and contribute to age-related macular degeneration, which can lead to loss of vision."

"There's growing medical evidence that blue light exposure may cause permanent eye damage; contribute to the destruction of the cells in the center of the retina; and play a role in causing age-related macular degeneration, which can lead to vision loss."

I see a lot of 'can's and 'may's on that web-page in general. And finding conflicting evidence isn't that hard.

Not saying by any means staring at a computer screen at night is healthy, but I think its detrimental effects are being exaggerated a tad, as with so many things these days (sunlight, soot, carbohydrates, red meat, being alive in general).

My eyes have just lost 'soreness' that they used to have before I was using f.lux
I've been using f.lux ever since it was out for about a month (and that's a long time)
Really, anything after 10 PM would hurt my eyes, now it doesn't anymore.

This is actually really cool. It stops eye strain for me also

One question if i close the popup thing will it not run?
(Nvm, it seems to run in the backround)

My eyes have just lost 'soreness' that they used to have before I was using f.lux
I've been using f.lux ever since it was out for about a month (and that's a long time)
Really, anything after 10 PM would hurt my eyes, now it doesn't anymore.
Don't you lower the screen brightness at night?

It's an interesting concept. I tried it some time ago, but for the kind of work I do on the computer, having things discolored really isn't acceptable. If there were a similar program that only changed the brightness without messing with color it might be worth giving a try.

I got used to it and actually prefer the 4200k setting to daylight mode

Since I am supernocturnal, I tend to still be awake when daylight mode re-activates...and I get blinded by it every time

Good, now find a program that lowers "red light" and "orange light" and "green light" and "white light" and "yellow light" and ll those other "kinds" of light which also :red: up your vision at night, and that site conveniently decides to ignore.

Not that I disagree with that practice, it's usual in business. "If you want to sell something, tell your customers what it does, not what it doesn't." Yes, the program is free, but there's ways to make the customer pay a fee. "What the customer doesn't know can't hurt them."

Know what really saves your eyes? Not gaming at night. It's free and 100% certain to not contain hidden malicious software.

Edit: In case you didn't notice, I used ":red:" up there. Just saving you the chore of finding a way to invalidate my post.

Good, now find a program that lowers "red light" and "orange light" and "green light" and "white light" and "yellow light" and ll those other "kinds" of light which also :red: up your vision at night, and that site conveniently decides to ignore.

Not that I disagree with that practice, it's usual in business. "If you want to sell something, tell your customers what it does, not what it doesn't." Yes, the program is free, but there's ways to make the customer pay a fee. "What the customer doesn't know can't hurt them."

Know what really saves your eyes? Not gaming at night. It's free and 100% certain to not contain hidden malicious software.

Edit: In case you didn't notice, I used ":red:" up there. Just saving you the chore of finding a way to invalidate my post.
The amount of light and it's source in a room are what matter, not time of day.
I keep a standard light level through day and night (as dark as possible), as do many people. Instead of changing the display tint, it's often better to just keep the monitor dim.

It's pretty good for a free program. Using it helps me fall asleep quicker after using my computer

Yeah :red: light. Photons? More like pho-tons of overrated trash
[DOUBLEPOST=1438313766,1438313452][/DOUBLEPOST]Wait, photons are massless.
:red:

I've been using this for over a year and can attest to it working. And I'm a natural sceptic. It's not brightness per se, that's the problem, it's the intensity of the light. (In particular, as previously stated: the white/blue colours.) Try it yourself: At night with the lights off, try looking at a device that has a blue light (e.g. a power light). You'll probably see a halo around the light and it will seem uncomfortably bright. Then try looking at a device with a red, orange or green light. There won't be a halo, and it won't seem as bright / bothering. An easy test with most modern day devices: a laptop power light (usually blue) compared to the power board it's plugged into to (usually has a red/orange power light).

F.lux really does help reduce the intensity of the light. The red/orange tint takes a little bit to get used to, but it's softer and you really can notice the difference and it really does help your eyes relax later at night. Rather than trying to say it's wrong, try it for a week or two and see how it goes. I know it helps me and I know I can feel the difference between a device with f.lux and a device without. And even if it's just pseudoscience / the placebo effect, who cares? It helps, so it doesn't matter.

I advise changing the default setting to change the temperature more gradually. It's better to use the longer period (60m) instead of the shorter one (20s) to gradually change the temperature. Also note that some fullscreen games will interfere with f.lux and prevent it working.

> And even if it's just pseudoscience / the placebo effect, who cares? It helps, so it doesn't matter.

What.

Explain yourself.

I as a potential customer am confused.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom