Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 8/8.1
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
A very basic hoik track used to automatically collect fallen stars at night, doesn't work anymore since the 1.4 update (worked fine for 1.3.5.3). It seems to be a known thing according to the Fallen Star page in the official terraria wiki, as it says, In versions prior to 1.4.0.1 Hoiks can be used to rapidly pipe the stars to a desirable location, since they automatically mount them upon contact. However, it also seems that hoik shouldn't be affected in any way, according to the official 1.4 changelog, What major update would be complete without a plethora of bug fixes? We took the time to address a handful of common exploits as well - don't worry, your Hoiks are safe!

Personal conclusion; unable to find any concrete evidence that proves this isn't a bug, reporting it as a bug.

20200522100541_1.jpg

Hoiks, as a whole, are being protected from being "fixed", but hoiking concerns do not take priority over other normal functionality bug fixes, and Falling stars had some collision issues that needed to be addressed.

So while the hoik should still be functional, some of its functionality may be impacted. This is the problem with keeping hoiks intact; they are extremely buggy by nature, and they have dozens of side effect bugs. Sometimes those have to be fixed, and hoik will be impacted to a degree.

I'm the fellow who wrote that wiki edit. I found this post while looking around for any potential new star farm designs but it seems anything automated is locked behind skeletron now.

I discovered they don't work the hard way after hoiking several hundred tiles at high altitude. I couldn't test a version earlier that 1.4.0.1 so that's what I wrote.

I'm the fellow who wrote that wiki edit. I found this post while looking around for any potential new star farm designs but it seems anything automated is locked behind skeletron now.

I discovered they don't work the hard way after hoiking several hundred tiles at high altitude. I couldn't test a version earlier that 1.4.0.1 so that's what I wrote.

Falling stars used to embed themselves half into blocks but that seems to be a bug that's fixed as of 1.4. Can confirm that actuators > mechanic > skeletron is needed for any form of early automation now, I haven't had any luck with an alternate pre skeletron design, unfortunately.

I feel your pain, I myself built a bridge 2k tiles long, excited to finally use the star canon since master mode made it a viable option rather than an overkill. But I got disappointment raining on me instead of fallen stars.

I feel your pain, I myself built a bridge 2k tiles long, excited to finally use the star canon since master mode made it a viable option rather than an overkill. But I got disappointment raining on me instead of fallen stars.
Get the treasure magnet and build a minecart above the bridge (or below, if you built a solid one.. I used platforms) at the max magnet range (so that mobs can't get to you before you pass over them). Use your ocean pylon teleport and ride the minecart to the other end such that you get there just as 4:30 arrives.

I was getting from 50 to 300 stars a night on my large world, depending on meteor showers.

honestly that seems like the best option for now. It will miss a few stars but not too many and honestly with the sleeping mechanic its not as bad as I thought.
A fully automated system might be simpler after it's set up but this is probably more convenient than hammering thousands of blocks 4 times each

Back
Top Bottom