Other Game Fallout Series

The institute is correct in that any synth that escapes runs the risk of becoming a belligerent, hostile rogue, but...

...that only provides more evidence that they are sentient.

Humans are equally, if not more, likely to become violent. Nick is a direct implantation of a human's memories, nothing more needs saying. They are creating sentience and playing with it. Sure. bad synths need subduing, but so do bad humans. Free will should give both humans this choice, and synths - and both should bear the same consequences.

As such, making sentience and keeping it indefinitely in servitude, for safety or labor, is slavery or preemptive incarceration.

I'm going to apologize to my toaster right now.

EDIT: On second thought, :red: that guy.

I'm having a hard time deciding... IDK if anyone r above read through all the logs in all the terminals... But I read everything. If you go to the biotechnology wing they have the synthetic gorillas. I found a terminal that explained several incidents of random extreme aggression (another log suggests they may have overheard scientists arguing nearby each time) that destroyed their synthetic handlers. And they are taking precautions and looking into ways to alter the programming or improve it although they don't think they can fix it in current models. When you enter and meet "Father" you are greeted with synthetic Shaun first. When father turns him off, he says they are working on synthetic extreme emotion comprehension. So I believe the danger factor is known and they are working on it. I haven't made the decision yet, Bethesda really threw me through a loop here. However I'm finding it hard not to put faith in someone I spent the whole game looking for.

*Mild spoilers*

Firstly, I am very disappointed in the story so far. Bethesda could have done more with this than force a player to pick a side. Why not allow to unite them or at least create some form of uneasy peace? Instead they created three factions who are ridiculously fanatical and can't be swayed from hating one another.
I finished the Institute quest line last night. Kept earlier savegames because I want to see all endings. This ending disappointed me though.

Anyway, the G3 synths... in my opinion they're not that different from us humans. Yes, technically they're completely made by humans, but it should be very clear for people to see that they do think, have emotions, morals, just like us. Yes, they're programmed to behave this way, but if they can compute hate and love, despair and courage, is it really that much different from the 'programmed' chemical processes inside our own heads?

During the Institute storyline you're asked to return a synth who became a raider leader and is made an example by Father why letting synths loose in the world is a dangerous thing. But they're not all like that. You meet plenty of synths that behave like normal people, good people. Synths that fight against bad people.
Again, this shows how close to human they are. One synth becomes a raider, another synth becomes a farmer. Why judge all synths because one synth decided to go bad? We don't judge every single human out there when a couple of human raiders do miserable things. And we don't judge the ghouls for their feral cousins' behaviour. I don't, at least.

With that in mind...

Brotherhood:
-----------------
Maxson is a scary son of a :red:, out to kill all mutants, synths and ghouls, whether they're feral or not. I can understand why there's hate for mutants, because a good mutant is hard to find. But they have no right to kill normal ghouls, they're people like you and me. Just... uglier and with long lifespans. It's outright murder.
The hate for synths; even when one of their own turns out to be one, Maxson keeps on spouting his hatred for them, completely disregarding the fact that this particular synth has done so much for the Brotherhood. It's first hand proof that not all synths are to be feared, that they're not all bad.
He's a first class arsehole and although I will be wanting to see the BoS ending, I'd never pick his side.

Also worthy of note is that the BoS weapons dealer has some very dubious work for you. I didn't accept his job offer so I don't know how those missions can play out, but I'm sure nothing good can come of it. But at least Fallout 4's Brotherhood is closer to the Brotherhood I know from the first 2 games: A bunch of tyrants who are only looking after themselves.
But Gotcha!, they sweep the Commonwealth, killing raiders and mutants, thus helping regular people!
That's not strange. They need food to eat and if their actions would make people want to support their cause by donating food then that's a problem solved.

It's a pity though, since there are good people among the Brotherhood. I really liked several of them.

The Institution:
--------------------
I don't really know to what extent their actions go. I've gotten little to no proof of them actually kidnapping humans and replacing them with synths.
It's mentioned outside, but in the Institution itself there's no proof to be found, or I somehow missed it.
There is the matter of the FEV lab. I've not found much proof of what was being done down there, but the examples were enough for me, and the experiments were horrible enough to make a scientist run away.
Because of my feelings about G3 synths I feel they shouldn't be kept like slaves. It's clear some of them want to get out, live their own lives. To the Institution they're nothing more than robots, but to me it's clear that they're as close to a real human as anything can be.

I also feel they're being incredibly selfish with keeping themselves underground. They could do so much good in the Commonwealth.

As I've said, I finished this quest line to see how things would play out. Will reload an earlier save, since this is not the faction I want to support.

The Railroad:
-----------------
Due to how I feel about G3 synths, I do think these guys are good people... if not way too fanatic. They seem to care more about synths than actual humans and sacrify themselves wherever necessary. I wouldn't sacrifice myself in favour of an unknown synth OR human. It's crazy.
In the end, they mean well. Sure, some synths could become mighty pirates, the scourge of mankind, but others are good people. Again, plenty of examples there.
It remains a fact that there are synths down in the Institution who desperately want to live their own lives, instead of being stuck in an underground base where people use them as slaves. It doesn't feel right to me.
A human can grow up to be good or bad, a synth can go good or bad. There's little difference between us.

I will probably stick with this ending. These guys are not perfect, but to me they definitely feel like the lesser evil here.

*spoilers*

Well, after finishing both the BoS and Railroad ways I have to say that these endings are a bit :red:ed up.

Detonating the Institution's nuclear power generator creates a giant crater in the landscape, not to mention lots of fallout. I haven't been to Diamond City afterwards (which was pretty close to the blast), but I doubt people will be all happy about this ordeal.
It's a pity that Bethesda does such a poor job in creating different solutions to problems. Instead of blowing up this reactor it'd have been enough to just blow up the teleportation systems, keeping anyone from entering the Institute.

I also wonder why the Brotherhood wants to blow the whole base to hell while they could just as well have killed everyone inside and use this base for themselves. Not to mention destroying all this technology which they're supposed to be salvaging.

Fallout shelter is a mobile game, where you the overseer have to watch over your vault, providing with food, power, and water. You can sen- sorry my water treatment had a fire accident, Anyway, i just found out about this game today, its surprisingly fun. oh yeah its free buy it at uhh

whatever.

anyway i've recently had a power outage, was saved by lunch boxes, sent a person to the wasteland,

anyway (geez I'm saying that a lot) what is your guys opinion on this game?

I loved it for around two weeks. Then I had to go somewhere for around a week. Oddly enough, when I came back not only did i have 0 resources, but everyone in my vault was radiation poisoned almost to death. I think they are dead now since I haven't checked on the game in two months...whoops...

More time is spent not playing than playing to play it.
This is pretty much how I feel. I like the game but at the same time I don't like it because what if your gone for a bit longer then normal? Your entire vault could be radiation poisoned and it would cause a bigger hassle if you don't have enough rad-away.

Last edited:
I've been wanting to give this game a try, but I don't own any devices that run apps and I haven't found a good emulator to run it on a PC.

I've been wanting to give this game a try, but I don't own any devices that run apps and I haven't found a good emulator to run it on a PC.
If you can run it on PC, lemme know. Hopefully with hacks. Screw lunchboxes. Screw them. Gonna open 'em until everything is unlocked.

Check out Bluestacks.

I appreciate the suggestion and I gave it a try, but it has the same problems I've encountered before, I hit play on the game and it tries to put me through a bunch of nonsense about wanting an email account and synching and I have no desire to go through any of that. For those that are accustom to apps and the hoops they make you jump through I'm sure it will work wonderfully, but if it can't just start the game when I hit play then I'm out.

Again, thanks for the suggestion and for those that don't mind the intrusive nature of apps then that is probably about the best option out there.

I don't know if I like the Railroad or the Institute, but I know that I hate the Brotherhood. They are egotistical :red:s and no one bad mouths my companion, currently Nick the Detective, and gets my support. Who the hell do they think they are, rolling into my hood and acting like they own the place. When the time comes, a shotgun shell to Maxson's face should solve the problem, even if it does mean I'll then have to take out the rest of the brotherhood as well.

After going through the stuff on the airship, choosing all the options to say I don't agree with the brotherhood and don't like them, and still having them accept me, all I can think is that Paladin Danse must have some major pull in the organization, maybe some compromising photos of Maxson, or that Bethesda is really bad at storytelling. Fingers crossed that Obsidian gets the chance to make the next game so it can have a chance at being as good as New Vegas.

I guess in the end, my feelings on the matter aren't that it is a difficult choice, but there are no good choices . . . by this I don't mean "there are no choices without regrettable sacrifices", but that literally all endings are far too catastrophic than they are good. In my opinion, Minutemen being put to the side for a moment, all endings are BAD endings, because I feel that it would be better to indefinitely leave them unresolved.

Brotherhood
I'm a big fan of the Brotherhood in general, because one of my primary goals in the Fallout universe is seeing a concrete step towards recovering from the Apocalypse, in the form of technology acquisition, research, and structure/stability. I believe that the Brotherhood is a fantastic example of this, and despite their (often variable) fanaticism in many regards, they seem to offer this.

However, I consider the wholesale destruction of the Institute to be a tremendously foolish decision. That was a technological masterpiece; Maxson's comments that it was technology gone wrong are only correct insofar that it this technology is being held by people who are (IMO) abusing it. That research and infrastructure could be requisitioned and re-purposed towards the Brotherhood's own ends . . . there is nothing "evil" about a teleporter, or a clean, air conditioned housing complex. The Institute was an asset to the Brotherhood's core tenants, not an object of evil to be destroyed.

Meanwhile, killing the Railroad was such a forced and unrealistic decision that I literally cannot blame the Brotherhood for it; it feels like game design meddling. This was something they deliberately put in the game to make you feel bad about the Brotherhood; not just because you did it, but that they made you do it with your own hands like that. I'll point out that there was literally no speech option out of this . . . Kells informs you of your next mission and the Railroad is IMMEDIATELY hostile, you cannot refuse this, you can't even betray the Brotherhood to re-side with the Railroad. That's not a fault of the Brotherhood, that's weak game design.

Finally, killing all synths is, like the Institute, a stupid decision. This whole "they are abominations" crap sounds far too pseudo-religious for my tastes, and personally, I found it to be out of character for the Brotherhood to get this way . . . not against, but "must be wiped out at all costs, nothing more to say". It doesn't help that there are no less than four synth companions at your disposal, so this is like murdering a fourth of your close friends.

Institute
The Institute had a lot of promise for me . . . it seemed like they were offering something great, a huge step forward in advancing the recovery of civilization. Ideally, I'd support this, but it seems like they were literally going about it in the most stupid way.

You see in their research that they were studying human augmentation, and had even succeeded with the 100+ year old Kellogg, but for some reason, decided to say screw it and went with Synths instead. But even that doesn't make sense . . . one of their own scientists said to me "How can synths be the future of humanity if they aren't human?" Since the Institute seems 100% convinced, without a doubt, that synths cannot be considered or treated as independent beings, where is the end goal here? To make hyper advanced robots that are slaves of humanity, even while humanity itself lives no longer than it ever did? What's the point? Some of their propagandistic speech even indicates that they have really no interest in ever returning to the surface, so I can't even figure out what they want to do. I can only deduce that their end goal is making perfect synths and then living in their personal vault for all eternity, and that's really stupid.

So with that said, their insistence on destroying the Brotherhood (one of the organizations that might actually HELP the Wasteland at some point) and the Railroad, as if they are a cult of evil idiots is really weaksauce. You end up siding with an organization with all of the means and motive to completely resolve the apocalypse, but instead they have decided not to.

It doesn't help that, again, they want to enslave all synths, which again amounts to 4 of your companions (though I suppose one of them is already under Institute control). What if they meet my Curie? Or decide they changed their mind about Nick Valentine? But with the writing in this game, I'm sure that I would have no options to say no, there would be no changing my mind or betraying them, it would just be "bye bye companions" without a care in the world.

Railroad
I'll give them this . . . their hearts are in the right place. And that's pretty much all I'll give them. They've got some infrastructure and resources, they aren't incompetent, but their end goal is "liberate synths", and since their end play is "destroy Institute", they've eliminated the source of synths as well. Once all the synths are liberated, they have no further function as an organization and will dissolve . . . resulting in nothing. You've just sided with no organization, at the expense of two of the most important factions. Either the BoS OR the Institute could save thousands of lives here, in the right context, but you can instead destroy them entirely for the sake of an ethical stance that will cease to be relevant after the fact.

Let me tell you something Desdemona; you know what ELSE is unacceptable? 500 raiders running around the Commonwealth, murdering people by the hundreds. Super mutants, ghouls, deathclaws, STARVATION. These are ever present threats and I don't see you doing a damn thing about them, nor do you seem interested or to even care. I do care about synths; I believe they warrant freedom and autonomy. But I'm not going to blow up the wasteland's two greatest hopes for a relatively small scale ethical dilemma. If I had to choose between freeing a few hundred synths, or siding with a faction which will bring a measure of stability and safety to the region as a WHOLE, perhaps even further with enough time, I'm picking the latter.

Railroad is an ethical stance, its not a real option, and they don't impress me enough to make me think they are worth supporting, despite their good nature.

So yeah, that's my problem with the choices in the game . . . each one results in far too much collateral damage for me to justify the choice being made.

Last edited:
I appreciate the suggestion and I gave it a try, but it has the same problems I've encountered before, I hit play on the game and it tries to put me through a bunch of nonsense about wanting an email account and synching and I have no desire to go through any of that. For those that are accustom to apps and the hoops they make you jump through I'm sure it will work wonderfully, but if it can't just start the game when I hit play then I'm out.

Again, thanks for the suggestion and for those that don't mind the intrusive nature of apps then that is probably about the best option out there.

Ah yes, I remember that. Lately its been wanting me to sync but i just keep clicking the home button. I understand about the email account though, as it is customary for that, since it is a Galaxy S4 emulator :/. Sorry I couldn't help you out.

I completely agree with all of the above.

It'd have been so much better if you somehow had the chance to replace that murdering hothead Maxson (after becoming a paladin) and make peace with the Institute of which you'll become the new leader anyway. Add to that the option to actually steer the Institute into a different direction...

The Railroad would have nothing to fear from the Institute and can go on with their own lives. Like Leinfors said, yeah, their job's done.
The Brotherhood and Institute could join forces under the player's leadership to create a kickass Commonwealth.

One can't tell me all BoS personnel would hate synths like Maxson does, especially when it's clear to all of them that they're not all bad. The player should have been able to use Danse as an example that they're being incredibly shortsighted/scared, perhaps with some backup from Haylen.

It feels that a lot of the game's elements were rushed. Tons of bugs aside, it's like the storyline became too complex for their programmers so Bethesda shortened the ending into a "Three pieces on the chessboard, please remove two, you win the game, kthnxbye."
The companion storylines and dialogue were terrible too. Travel with one, gain a perk, next companion please.
It's like they completely lack imagination or something. Did they even look at New Vegas to see how things could have been done?

I feel immensely frustrated about the whole thing. They could have done so much with this. And why don't they just ask the original Fallout/New Vegas guys for help? Would that shame them or something?
Even Fallout 3's story was so much better, though it was simpler. Only after Broken Steel by the way. The sacrifice+game over thing was not cool... but still cooler than this mess.

Back
Top Bottom