Other Game Fallout Series

Not sure there's really supposed to be a "right" choice here. The Brotherhood seems to be legitimately interested in the safety of the world, they just don't go about it in the right way. Even if they think it's to make the world a safer place, I don't think genocide of all non humans is the best solution here, especially when there are plenty of synths and ghouls who are perfectly fine. I could honestly care less what they do with the Super Mutants though, even Strong gets annoying after a while.

The Institute is... kind of an interesting case. They're one of the very few scientific organizations left in the world and they COULD be doing a lot more than they are, but for some reason they decided the best way to help humanity was to replace them with robots. I also don't really get why they want all the secrecy. I mean, one of the biggest reasons people don't trust them is because hardly anyone knows anything about them.

As for The Railroad, they seem to have the fewest problems. All they're doing is freeing synths from the Institute, and as much as the Institute says they're still robots and shouldn't have free will, it's obvious that synths are pretty close to being human. Sure, some synths go rogue when they're allowed to have free will, but I don't really think that's The Railroad's problem. One problem I see with them, though, is that they also want to destroy the Institute even though they have literally no logical reason to. Blame it on bad writing or say it's all because they hate the Institute for their treatment of synths, but it really just doesn't make sense.

Really the only faction that has completely good ideals and goals in mind is the Minutemen, and I'm not even sure if I they're counted as one of the major factions. They're kind of just there to bring some order and safety back to the Commonwealth and probably couldn't care less what the Institute is doing as long as they aren't threatening anyone. Not sure if there are any endings tied to them, but I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't. Bethesda did a really good job of making it hard to choose a faction, didn't they?

It won't be on pc unless you use a emulator like Bluestacks. I'm pretty sure that it is the only way to actually get it.

Considering there's plenty of :red:ty mobile games ported to steam/PC, I suppose it's a possibility we might see the game for PC. It just needs one every 100 person or so to buy a :red:load of lunchboxes to make profit.

It was really fun for the first few days, but then I would have to start checking it constantly to make sure my resources were intact. Eventually I just gave up on it because it became too tedious to check on it all the time.

Aw man, I got so far in this game, then one day it just crashed... now I still can't get past the loading screen :/.

Bethesda tends to build these very contrived groups and shoehorn them into narratives they've already decided upon-- rather than letting them bounce off one another naturally, according to their stated goals/methods. When you step out of the vault, you're greeted by a very hostile environment where a few straggly farmers are trying to eek out a living and just barely doing so.

I had a hard time believing that anyone would give a crap about esoteric questions like, 'is a synth really human?' when the world is filled with irradiated nightmares and cannibalistic barbarians.

The Institute's goals make no sense. The Brotherhood's actions don't make sense. The Minute Men make perfect sense, but they don't even figure into the story, really.

I would've assumed that all three groups had the same goal; restoring civilization. But the Brotherhood seems to be mostly concerned with destroying the greatest technological institution on the continent (huh?) and the Institute is primarily focused on creating as many synths as possible-- which they insist are not human and are in fact only stupid meat machines (huh?).

Sorry if this has already been made, but, thoughts? i honestly think its a great game, a bit too hard tho.
The story is your are an ordinary man/woman in what seems like the 50's in USA, NY, but one morning a man walks up to your door, asking if you want to apply to live in 'The Vault' or 'Vault 111' you always apply no matter your decisions. A few minutes into the game it is announced on the news there has been nuclear activity and that you are advised to get to your local Vault before the reporter feels his forehead and it briefly ends, you make it into the vault milseconds before the explosion hits your position and you are 'preserved' in a cryo pod... I will say no more, but still, thoughts?

Made the same impact Skyrim did I think. Feels dumbed down somewhat, but everything also works better. And even though it has less stuff, it feels more consistent. Quality over quantity in general as far as the actual game is concerned. When it comes to the port though they pretty much flushed quality down the drain.

To cut it short: game is great, port is awful. Like, really, really awful. I think it's slightly worse even by Bethesda standards, just got a GTX 970 and I'm only getting 40 FPS set to Ultra. Don't get me started on the controls and interface.

*WARNING. MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD. READ AT OWN RISK.*

I have created the Poll as well for people who merely want to chime in a quick opinion, but the option is, of course, open to those that participate in the discussion below.

Fallout 4 has shown to be a very morally questioning game in general. As apposed to Skyrim, where you could pick one side out of 2, you have the option for 3, and all of them have long term goals in mind, and all aren't necessarily 'evil' by the direct definition due to their backgrounds, but also have major flaws in their ideals, and all of them revolve around a specific character race, called Synths, specifically Gen 3 ones.

Synths are machines created by The Institute that look, sound, interact, and behave exactly like a human would, or at least the Gen 3 versions do. The Gen 1 and 2 versions are considered "dumber", and are used by The Institute in their fieldwork, mind you. The occasional Gen 3 is employed for other tasks such as infiltration.

But here is where the Moral Question is popped. Gen 3 Synths are so smart, and are so near free will, combined with free thinking, are they considered people too? Numerous times throughout the game you will see Synths act 100% like a human would, no fakeness (unless on purpose) is shown.

The Brotherhood of Steel wishes to preserve technology and save humanity from itself by gathering technology from all sciences and uses in an attempt to save humanity from using it against each other. However to do this, they have chosen that they need to commit genocide on all the species and Synths in the Wasteland to achieve their goal to save humanity: From Itself.

The Railroad believes Synths are slaves to The Institute. They have constantly tried to free them from the their clutches for many years, and have been partially successful in doing so. However, as shown in a specific quest, when let loose, they can be dangerous, and can bring harm to many innocent people. However the Railroad insists that the Synths still deserve freedom more than anything else. (Note though that they try to bring ones that they trust.)

The Institute makes the Synths. Their viewpoint that a Synth is merely a machine, and has no inherent consciousness like humans, and are more akin to a loaded gun, "... Whoever fired the gun is to blame, not the gun manufacturer.". Their goal is to advance technology underground and create machines as close to a humans image as possible for us to live on. But to do this, they reel in all the escaped Synths, and wipe their memory clean, raising another question if inhumanity can apply to a machine that can think.

So what do you all think? Who reigns as a superior ideology in the cruel world that is the Wasteland of Boston?
I stand in The last of us.

I guess in the end, my feelings on the matter aren't that it is a difficult choice, but there are no good choices . . . by this I don't mean "there are no choices without regrettable sacrifices", but that literally all endings are far too catastrophic than they are good. In my opinion, Minutemen being put to the side for a moment, all endings are BAD endings, because I feel that it would be better to indefinitely leave them unresolved.

Brotherhood
I'm a big fan of the Brotherhood in general, because one of my primary goals in the Fallout universe is seeing a concrete step towards recovering from the Apocalypse, in the form of technology acquisition, research, and structure/stability. I believe that the Brotherhood is a fantastic example of this, and despite their (often variable) fanaticism in many regards, they seem to offer this.

However, I consider the wholesale destruction of the Institute to be a tremendously foolish decision. That was a technological masterpiece; Maxson's comments that it was technology gone wrong are only correct insofar that it this technology is being held by people who are (IMO) abusing it. That research and infrastructure could be requisitioned and re-purposed towards the Brotherhood's own ends . . . there is nothing "evil" about a teleporter, or a clean, air conditioned housing complex. The Institute was an asset to the Brotherhood's core tenants, not an object of evil to be destroyed.

Meanwhile, killing the Railroad was such a forced and unrealistic decision that I literally cannot blame the Brotherhood for it; it feels like game design meddling. This was something they deliberately put in the game to make you feel bad about the Brotherhood; not just because you did it, but that they made you do it with your own hands like that. I'll point out that there was literally no speech option out of this . . . Kells informs you of your next mission and the Railroad is IMMEDIATELY hostile, you cannot refuse this, you can't even betray the Brotherhood to re-side with the Railroad. That's not a fault of the Brotherhood, that's weak game design.

Finally, killing all synths is, like the Institute, a stupid decision. This whole "they are abominations" crap sounds far too pseudo-religious for my tastes, and personally, I found it to be out of character for the Brotherhood to get this way . . . not against, but "must be wiped out at all costs, nothing more to say". It doesn't help that there are no less than four synth companions at your disposal, so this is like murdering a fourth of your close friends.

Institute
The Institute had a lot of promise for me . . . it seemed like they were offering something great, a huge step forward in advancing the recovery of civilization. Ideally, I'd support this, but it seems like they were literally going about it in the most stupid way.

You see in their research that they were studying human augmentation, and had even succeeded with the 100+ year old Kellogg, but for some reason, decided to say screw it and went with Synths instead. But even that doesn't make sense . . . one of their own scientists said to me "How can synths be the future of humanity if they aren't human?" Since the Institute seems 100% convinced, without a doubt, that synths cannot be considered or treated as independent beings, where is the end goal here? To make hyper advanced robots that are slaves of humanity, even while humanity itself lives no longer than it ever did? What's the point? Some of their propagandistic speech even indicates that they have really no interest in ever returning to the surface, so I can't even figure out what they want to do. I can only deduce that their end goal is making perfect synths and then living in their personal vault for all eternity, and that's really stupid.

So with that said, their insistence on destroying the Brotherhood (one of the organizations that might actually HELP the Wasteland at some point) and the Railroad, as if they are a cult of evil idiots is really weaksauce. You end up siding with an organization with all of the means and motive to completely resolve the apocalypse, but instead they have decided not to.

It doesn't help that, again, they want to enslave all synths, which again amounts to 4 of your companions (though I suppose one of them is already under Institute control). What if they meet my Curie? Or decide they changed their mind about Nick Valentine? But with the writing in this game, I'm sure that I would have no options to say no, there would be no changing my mind or betraying them, it would just be "bye bye companions" without a care in the world.

Railroad
I'll give them this . . . their hearts are in the right place. And that's pretty much all I'll give them. They've got some infrastructure and resources, they aren't incompetent, but their end goal is "liberate synths", and since their end play is "destroy Institute", they've eliminated the source of synths as well. Once all the synths are liberated, they have no further function as an organization and will dissolve . . . resulting in nothing. You've just sided with no organization, at the expense of two of the most important factions. Either the BoS OR the Institute could save thousands of lives here, in the right context, but you can instead destroy them entirely for the sake of an ethical stance that will cease to be relevant after the fact.

Let me tell you something Desdemona; you know what ELSE is unacceptable? 500 raiders running around the Commonwealth, murdering people by the hundreds. Super mutants, ghouls, deathclaws, STARVATION. These are ever present threats and I don't see you doing a damn thing about them, nor do you seem interested or to even care. I do care about synths; I believe they warrant freedom and autonomy. But I'm not going to blow up the wasteland's two greatest hopes for a relatively small scale ethical dilemma. If I had to choose between freeing a few hundred synths, or siding with a faction which will bring a measure of stability and safety to the region as a WHOLE, perhaps even further with enough time, I'm picking the latter.

Railroad is an ethical stance, its not a real option, and they don't impress me enough to make me think they are worth supporting, despite their good nature.

So yeah, that's my problem with the choices in the game . . . each one results in far too much collateral damage for me to justify the choice being made.

I have to say, I completely agree with you there. I was part of the railroad actually for a long time up until to the quest "Nuclear Option", I knew it was coming but I really didn't want to do it, and the brotherhood was dead so I couldn't side with them (Anyways I think they're :red:heads) so I went with the Institute, mind you I had actually played the railroad and institute up to the last 2 quests where they destroyed each other. Then I thought, which one could really help out humanity in the long run? The institute had more of a chance of saving the world, so I betrayed the railroad and went with "Nuclear Family". Besides, Shaun is family, and in my opinion family comes first, plus its nice sometimes to just go up to Shaun's memorial and drop the flowers I had picked up for him outside. Well that's just my opinion. :kingslime:

I don't like all of the philosophical stuff, so I'm gonna keep this short and sweet. I chose the Brotherhood because that was my first faction quest (besides the Minutemen). Plus, I generally don't have a soul when it comes to video games (or life), so I felt no remorse at all after I slaughtered the Railroad and nuked the Institute. Yeah, I killed my son (I almost wrote father), but how many had he killed by, if not starting, continuing the synth program? Also, they have amazing weapons, armor, and generally just make the game so much more enjoyable. Everything is more enjoyable without morals!

I don't like all of the philosophical stuff, so I'm gonna keep this short and sweet. I chose the Brotherhood because that was my first faction quest (besides the Minutemen). Plus, I generally don't have a soul when it comes to video games (or life), so I felt no remorse at all after I slaughtered the Railroad and nuked the Institute. Yeah, I killed my son (I almost wrote father), but how many had he killed by, if not starting, continuing the synth program? Also, they have amazing weapons, armor, and generally just make the game so much more enjoyable. Everything is more enjoyable without morals!

Thats pretty much me. For the Father part, I walked in, said nothing to him and ate him with a laser musket. The story literally just didn't have any connection for you to feel bad about it anyway.

I have to go with the Railroad. The Brotherhood, as noble as it is in theory, thinks in terms of black and white, and has that mentality of "shoot first, ask questions later." As we have often seen, this can result in them getting destroyed by the Vault Dwellers (And the Courier) when they try to force their worldview onto someone who is more than willing to hand the Brotherhood's own :red: to that region's Elder on a silver platter.

I have the same issue with the Institute. They do want to help better humanity, but they do too many morally dubious things with their technology and think of their technology in terms of black and white. They are making living machines to repopulate the earth, but still think of them as machines that are nothing more than an AI. The Institute has given the Synths emotions, thought, and the ability to make their own choices (if left to their own devices). They've blurred the line between man and machine so much (not to mention that tech they installed onto Kellogg) that there is a group (The Railroad) based specifically around freeing the Synths.

Dear Fallout 4 players,

for my master thesis at the University Koblenz-Landau I conduct an interesting study that deals with modifications (“mods”) for Fallout 4, for which I would like to win you (!) as a participant. In particular, I want to identify reasons why players build their own modifications for the game but I am also interested in the opinions of players who have only played modifications.

As a small incentive, I raffle three 20€ Amazon vouchers among all participants.

The survey is aimed at players of Fallout 4, and it takes 8 to 10 minutes. Here is the link:

https://ww2.unipark.de/uc/Hiwi/5573/

Thank you for your participation!

Svenya

An interesting survey, but I am left feeling that you might have been better off choosing a different game than Fallout 4. From what little time I've spent around that community, it is hampered quite a bit by some of the design decisions the game took. For example, the decision to have a fully voiced protagonist has made it impossible to create scenarios that fully fit in with the game itself and the decision to scrap skills entirely and limit perks with the graphical screen they added have both limited the modding possibilities. As a result of these and other decisions, many in the fallout modding community have decided to forgo any Fallout 4 modding at all and many of those that have chosen to mod the game are still not happy about developers' choices. Just some things to keep in mind that might screw the data or limit participation to some extent.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your survey and your thesis. :)

Back
Top Bottom