Farming Dye Plants Using Yellow Marigolds

Igor CruZ

Terrarian
Looking for an efficient and automatic way to get Teal and Green Mushrooms, I searched the mechanics of their spawning on the Wiki, but got nothing but depth requirements. However, a particular Reddit user named "critcodedtuna" mentioned in this post a hidden piece of information, which applies to all Dye Plants and teaches a "labor and inefficient" way to grow them.

Apparently, Dye Plants can't appear within 90 blocks of each other (Strange Plants don't count, these have their own mechanics), after some observations and testing on a flat map, I could see that no plants appeared beyond this boundary near a of the other.

Returning to the aforementioned post, he suggests that you create a series of platforms at the proper depth, and completely clean the area around the "Farm" respecting the spawn ranges.

BUT, an efficient spawn area would have to be large, and that would require an astronomical dig, comparable to this one (by the way, congratulations on willpower).

SO, knowing this spawn range, after a brief period of reflection, I thought: "why not use Dye Plants to force Dye Plants to always appear in the same place?", from there I developed this prototype:

Screenshot_20220103-134123_Terraria.jpg

Map view

Just a small area (about 60x60) with several platforms of stone blocks for the Mushrooms to spawn, and what forces them to appear in this area and not in any area of the image, are several strategically placed Yellow Marigolds, see the diagram below:

Screenshot_20220103-134123_Terraria~3.jpg

Each yellow dot in the image is a Yellow Marigold, their positions leave the entire image area, except the Farm, sterile for Dye Plants, forcing the game to always generate one in the farm area. (During construction I went through this entire area with the Spelunker Buff to ensure there are no Dye Plants in it, which could nerf the farm area) this prototype in question spawns 1 mushroom every one or two days in the game.

And voilà! This makes a fully AFK dye farm possible, by creating a periodic system of actuating and an efficient delivery system it is possible to leave the player getting Dye Plants for hours, the reason why I used Yellow Marigolds is that they are the easiest and more plentiful Dye Plants to obtain, I believe that by covering the Cavern, Underground and Surface Layers, using blocks of stone, dirt and mud blocks with jungle grass, it is possible to obtain up to 6 different Dye Plants in a single farm (Teal Mushroom, Green Mushroom, Sky Blue Flower, Blinkroot, Blueberries and the proper Yellow Marigolds)

Addendum: I built this same farm in the same proportions in Undergroud Snow, replacing the stone block platforms with ice blocks and flooding the entire area of the farm, that way I get Lime Kelps at the same rate as the mushrooms mentioned above.
I believe that the same technique works with Strange Plants, but respecting your Cap of 240 blocks and taking into account that you will need to obtain several of them first before building the Farm...

That's it! Let me know your impressions about this idea...

Are you sure having the marigolds around actually speeds up the teal shroom spawning? As far as I can tell, the game doesn't really make sure at any given time, that it can spawn at least one dye plant. It just picks a random spot underground, tries to spawn a dye plant there, and if it can't, nothing happens.

Speed up? No, as I explain in the post, the Yellow Marigolds sterilize the entire area around the Farm, forcing the game to spawn Mushrooms only there. As for speed, I believe that with a spawn area greater than 60x60 there may be more chances of appearing a Mushroom in less time..

Ah, right, I see, this is so you don't get dye plants spawning around the farm, which would stop the farm from working, but as opposed to an actual perimeter, you don't have to dig as much.
Yes, the game checks tiles for plant spawns completely randomly, so a bigger area means more chance for a spawn. Actually, you should be able to do a 180x180 area, with 8 marigolds. And if you want to grow surface plants, you only need 3. Or you could just go to space, where there are already no spawning surfaces around.

if you want fast digging (for a more efficient farm) try Celebration mk2 and mini nuke 2s might need a chlorophyte farm and a few ammo reservation potions but it makes short work of huge areas

Back
Top Bottom