Fastest mining pre-hardmode

Kneller

Terrarian
What do you think is the most optimized, fastest setup for mining (particularly sand) pre-hardmode. I'm thinking the mining outfit, plat pickaxe with feral claws and all melee speed modifiers and a mining potion. Is there a way to go faster? Thanks.

Eww a platinum pickaxe? No thanks.
The corrupt/crimson pickaxe eats through dirt way faster than any silly gold pickaxe.
Where a hellstone pick would be even faster, i'm assuming you're asking this becasue you want to build a hellevator so you can fight the wall so that pick is your best best.

However by far the fastest is just blowing a hole straight to the core with like a million bombs.
It's expensive and gives uneven tunnels (Which can lead to extended falls and fall damage) but there's no faster way pre hardmode.

actually it depends on what you dig. For anything lower than crimtane and ebonite, use a bone pick instead of plat. If its higher, use a hellstone pick

Nightmare pickaxe to me is pretty fast. But, like lolali said depends on what you want to mine.

You should probably go for a Reaver shark, although I don't get why you are restricting yourself to pre-hardmode...

Or Shroomite Digging Claws but of course that's an end-game item. Took me a while to get those and I'm quite please with them, and the only thing they can't mine is Lihzahrd Bricks.

I'd have to say that for most stuff, Nightmare/Crimson Pickaxe is probably your best bet.

You could go for a Reaver Shark, but by the time you get the silly thing, you'd probably have finished whatever project you were on if you had just simply used the Nightmare/Crimson one.

The Hellstone Pickaxe is not a good choice unless it involves Ebonstone/Crimson Stone or Demonite/Crimtane Ore, or maybe Dungeon Block (is dungeon block 3 hits with Nightmare/Crimson? I forget). The Hellstone Pickaxe swings slower; the Nightmare Pickaxe takes 2 hits to take out a stone block while the Hellstone only takes 1, but you could swing the Nightmare Pickaxe twice to the Hellstone Pickaxe's once and both picks remove Stone, Sand, Silt, Slush, Snow, etc with 1 hit.

After that, you just need some gear: feral claws as mentioned, mining potion, maybe the clothes (but those are rare drops, is it worth farming?) and of course reforging your equipment for melee speed.

Instead of the mining armor (which takes awhile to farm as it is a rare drop off of a rare mob), you could instead use Shadow Armor which gives melee speed (but requires a Corrupt world instead of a Crimson one).

Bombs are very inaccurate and are generally not recommended (especially since they are also expensive unless you just use ones you found) for digging unless you just toss one or two of em into the middle of a meteorite to take the first big chunk off of it or something.

mining armor with bone pick or reaver shark and a mining potion are the best

(i'm not sure if bone pickaxe beats reaver shark in speed, but reaver shark is at least stronger in power)

If I am assuming right, with a mining potion, mining gear and a Bone Pickaxe, you should be able to mine 20 times a second, or once every three frames It could even perhaps be 30, or once every two frames.

This is purely for speed, not factoring that it requires two hits to mine stone.

prefixes that augment attack speed also affect the mining speed.
Actually, that isn't true. Attack speed and mining speed are very different.
I'm pretty sure @Omnir can explain it well for you.

So, we're looking at sand? The fastest pickaxe pre-hardmode is the Bone Pickaxe, with a use time of 18.
Now, since all of the accessories that promote mining are in hardmode, we don't need accessories.

Mining armor increases your mining speed by 30%
If I understand terraria math correctly, that should be a mining use time of 5.4, or rounding down to five.
BUT WAIT! There's more!
The mining potion increases it by 25%
Which gives you a...
*drumroll*
1 use time!!
However I don't know terraria math so it's probably wrong...

So, in conclusion, just use Bone Pickaxe, Mining Potion, and Miner Armor.

Actually, that isn't true. Attack speed and mining speed are very different.
I'm pretty sure @Omnir can explain it well for you.

So, we're looking at sand? The fastest pickaxe pre-hardmode is the Bone Pickaxe, with a use time of 18.
Now, since all of the accessories that promote mining are in hardmode, we don't need accessories.

If I understand terraria math correctly, that should be a mining use time of 5.4, or rounding down to five.
BUT WAIT! There's more!
Which gives you a...
*drumroll*
1 use time!!

So, in conclusion, just use Bone Pickaxe, Mining Potion, and Miner Armor.
That's not how percentage works... Also I believe he meant prefixes like "light," which affect use time and therefor mining speed as well

From what I know, when it comes to pickaxes, they have two seperate usetimes. One for swinging, one for actually mining. When I checked the wiki, the mining usetime of a Bone Pickaxe was 11, only one more than a Spectre Pickaxe. Regardless, checking the math:

BUT WAIT! There's more!
Which gives you a...
*drumroll*
1 use time!!

I'm not sure how you got from 18 to 5.4 by taking away 30%. I'm also not sure how you got from 5.4 to 1 from 25% either.

Assuming the wiki is right, I'll try to put maths in with a Light Bone Pickaxe, Mining armour and potion.

11 * 0.84 = 9.24 * 0.45 = 4.158.

When it comes to mining speed, the usetimes are always rounded down. So, if I did this right then the Bone Pickaxe can mine once every 4 frames, or 15 times a second. I'm sure I'm missing something, though.

I'm not sure how you got from 18 to 5.4 by taking away 30%. I'm also not sure how you got from 5.4 to 1 from 25% either.
Easy, by the inverse. 30% of 18 is 5.4. 25% of that can be rounded down to one. Correct math, wrong calculation. Or possibly the other way around. The irony, eh?

Back
Top Bottom