PC Fastest Terrarian ever! (portal gun speed boosts)

Did you try re positioning the entry portal? I stalled out several times one my way to mach 3, and just kept re positioning till I found a spot that worked.

Yeah, I did. I tried high/low/middle exit as well as floor/low slope/mid/high slope entry and nothing would help me catch another exit port at about 1700. Also tried spamming/holding space to no avail. At that speed I was doing loops in 4 or 5 ticks, and I think the dimensions of my rig just wasn't allowing a good portal position.

The thing is, I've tried doing this with the wings... it just doesn't work to me. I've been flapping them, and just tapping a little and doing all kinds of wing stuff, but max speed just got lower than 330 from that...

I don't need the wings to go from 179 to 330, but at >330 to around 700 I basically set something heavy on my spacebar and futz around with repositioning the entry portal when I stop hitting it. At around 700-800 that stalls and I have to spam tap the spacebar to continue gaining speed for about 50-75 then the hold spacebar works again. It's a slow but steady 1 mph every couple seconds, a bit slower at high speeds but no slower than 1 every 3-5. I think it depends on how many times you skip the port before you hit it.

a simple tutorial/trailer like the hoik one. But wait until you've finished, I guess!
My post was meant to be a tutorial... then @Bahamut2001 reached 1000mph.
Nothing's ever totally finished though, it's about having enough to run with and doing it as you go, otherwise the next thing comes along and you get involved with that instead. My first hoik vid was before any use of downwards slopes, but that just led to more update videos, etc.

Fun comes first though, that *is* the point here! I think...? ;)

The problem is that with increasing speed acceleration falls, so... it takes roughly half a minute to reach 300 mph, then a whole minute to reach 400 mph... How long does it take for you, @Bahamut2001 to reach Mach 1 speed?

How long does it take for you, @Bahamut2001 to reach Mach 1 speed?
Takes me about 10 mins to get to 700.
[DOUBLEPOST=1439463922,1438827000][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, I still working on that video, but I may have figured out why I wasn't getting the results I got before. After I got to 2300, I started experimenting with different track designs, trying to find a way to make the process easier. Somewhere alone the way, I changed from many teleporters on the bottom to one like ZeroGravitas said. (I figured out where I went wrong before) That set-up works fine for the lower speeds, but I started running into trouble between 1400 -1600 where I couldn't find a spot that would catch the portal.

While watching my character for a while at those speeds I noticed that it looked less like she was moving in a circle and more like she was oscillating within ~5 blocks in multiple locations. If you could place the portal where those oscillation were, you could catch the portal. But at high speeds the dead zone between those oscillations is larger than the area you can effectively place the portal in.

Past a certain speed, any portal outside the red area is missed.
rJ7OaIq.png

Then I noticed the teleporter sparkles of the pad on the bottom doing the same as my character, so I put more teleporters to see what would happen and wired them like so:
IlkeLMi.png

That helped a lot by almost tripling the width of the oscillations, which made catching the portal much easier.

With that change and the new frog legs I've been using to make this easier (NEVER thought I'd find a use for those lol), I actually reached the maximum speed of this set up
nbptKsV.png

At that speed I went from the portal to passed the red zone in one tick, making catching any more portals impossible.

I have ideas to change up so I can get faster, but the last 300mph or so my screen was constantly half blacked out. (like my character was a teleporter engine before 1.3) I'm gonna need some way to unpin the camera from my character before I try and go faster. Will still make a video with this set up in the meantime.

Edit: A small gif showing the oscillation sparkles.

Last edited:
I've tried placing an asphal-t frozen slime ramp in underworld, but after a few initial trials I've had problems with using portal gun. Previously, I would just point my mouse at the same height of the screen my character is placed, since the loop is almost horizontal. But In the map corners screen is unbound to character, which instead of being useful, made things harder. I could aim just fine, but for some reason I couldnt really place the portal.
And with 3000+ bizzare velocity on your side, I hang up my project.

Going to bump this, because after reading this, I'm interested. I'm going to have to experiment with this later.

I don't know how this is useful, but let me say that those stretches of nothing but net "whoot whoot whoot whoot"s are pure beauty.

If ever anyone is still trying this out, just make sure that you hit the portal almost most of the time while using wings as this will make you go faster. I tried adjusting the entry portal whenever I dont enter it within 2 seconds and speed started increasing like 1 MPH per second. It sometimes slows down after it goes up 2 MPH but it just keeps going. Just make sure that you adjust the portal so that you hit it within 2 seconds of being launched out from either the teleporters or portals

Just to get my head around this, how long would it take to traverse a large world at that speed?

I've been trying to build build some kind of compact accelerator with stationary portals and decided to share some things I noticed to hopefully help others. Or more likely I just wanted to brag and ask for help? Anyway.

My first attempts were based on getting more speed from gravity, like everything else here(unless I ignored something?). I think it got to around 300mph but then acceleration became really slow and I got bored. I figured, there's not enough time of me falling for gravity to do it's thing. I'm not sure if that was actually true or if I just had trouble hitting the portal, but it does make sense.

Next design was probably inspired by:
With that change and the new frog legs I've been using to make this easier (NEVER thought I'd find a use for those lol), I actually reached the maximum speed of this set up
Jumping beats gravity(very briefly). If I can jump just before I hit the portal, I get that vertical speed added to horizontal. In hind sight, I should have understood that I'd get more speed as long as I wasn't at the apex, but I was already busy building instead of thinking things through. I think it was at this point that I moved to a slopeless design(to keep the ceiling low? I wasn't getting enough sleep at the time). It was just a straight tunnel, entry portal was placed on a wall, that was then 'ghosted'. Behind the ghost wall were the recovery teleporters. I still like that design more aesthetically, and I think worked out a problem I had with it after I abandoned it.. Anyway.
Jump assisted acceleration worked, but required, well, jumping. That got tiresome very quickly. I've spent an hour getting frog legs, but it didn't help as much as I would have liked. Too often I'd hit caps where I'd need a lot of 'offbeat' jumping to get faster. I got bored at around 800mph.

What happened then is a bit of a blur. I think it was a sloped gravity/jump assisted hybrid. I'd loop falling until I hit recovery teleporters, then jump from the teleporter into the portal and hopefully get me back into gravity loop. I don't think there was much logic behind it, I was just fiddling. It was working, kind of, but I was getting stuck in the jump loop and not getting enough from gravity to bother with. As I said, it is kind of blur in my memory. What I do know, is that at some point, I decided to add water into accelerator(don't ask me why, I might have gone insane from lack of sleep and all the teleporter noise)

Now, much later, after several working prototypes, I actually tested what makes it work. Holding portal gun seems to remove horizontal friction(at least in liquids, I don't have a place wide and deep enough to see if I'll slow down in the air). Not sure how widely it's known, but now knowing didn't stop me from building based on that effect(and only hours later realizing that I do need to hold the portal gun for it to work). I think that idea for all this might have come from these, but it wasn't conscious at the time
Minecarts are slowed same as running speed in liquids (e.g. 1/2 in water, lava, 1/3 1/4 in honey), but resume previous speed on exit.

I'd say it's not tooo surprising that the carts should each have different downwards accelerations. I imagine there's a straight multiplication factor involved in that, possibly common with the top speeds and such (at a guess). I say this because the (hidden) speed ('momentum') quantity is conserved when moving into water, but the distance moved is just halved (divided by 3 4 in honey). Full speed resumes upon exiting the liquid. It's more like a photon slowing as it passes through a transparent material of higher refractive index (no friction, of course.)

Anyway, water seemed to have reduced portal skipping, while not slowing me down, that's when I recalled reading those quotes a day or two earlier, and moved to using honey(and discovered that I can't get automatic methods of honey duplication to work and I have to manually haul buckets from poorly accessible and extremely shallow hives). After few hours remembered that merfolk form exists, and moved to my third design.

Swim(up) based accelerator(see attachment)
Note: Exit teleporter is actuated. Honey level can vary. Intuitively, I think you want about 2/3 of the entry portal submerged. That way you won't get slowed down on the initial drop, but it doesn't matter too much, as long as you hit it at around 100mph(wasn't testing minimum entry speed). Ideally I want whole thing to be filled with honey, but I don't have enough of it to begin testing. Teleporter wiring is needlessly complex, I didn't think it through before wiring.

Pros: Fairly compact. Doesn't require portal repositioning
Cons: Have to hold jump key. Have to be able to swim(only tested with celestial shell, might work with just flippers. Might not drown you). Instant deceleration at around 1000mph. Will not work as a npc cannon(because you need to hold the portal gun).
Dubious: Quick(?) acceleration? Goes from terminal vertical velocity(while holding portal gun) to 1000mph in about 5-6minutes? Was getting stuck around 450mph a couple of times, easily unstuck by 5-10 depresses of jump key for about 1/5th of a second? Probably based on honey level and/or entry speed. Probably also works in low gravity conditions(might require it to be filled with honey to the ceiling-2 blocks, would a lot of fiddling to get initial, around 100mph startup speed without the gravity assist)

This instant deceleration thing is boggling my mind. I stop completely. Not sliding at all on the frozen slime blocks. And it seems like I stop at exactly on two leftmost tiles of the leftmost entry teleporter. My first sane(?) thought was that I'm triggering entry teleporter while still standing on the exit teleporter, and getting back teleported into frozen slime blocks which left me on top of them with 0 speed. But removing all 6 trigger plates from the 1st teleporter didn't make any difference. Still getting stopped on the same spot.

Can someone try to guess what's causing it?
And can someone try to recreate it and 1) tell if it works 2) at what speed does it stop working? 3) where does it stop working? This is mainly to rule out the possibility that it's a machine specific glitch of some sort
Also, if someone could point me to a some detailed write-up on ghost wall mechanics and limitations(not just how to do it, but why it works, and how and when it doesn't).

TL;DR
It might be worth to have a honey buffer(encased or contained inside the bubble blocks) on the slope where you place your entry portals. It should(?) reduce portal skipping. Probably 4-6 blocks wide 2 blocks tall if you're using gravity to accelerate(don't use neptune's shell derivatives if you're using wings to glide tho).

P.S. Sorry if this is just unreadable and redundant

Edit1: Removed 17 buckets of honey, and now I'm getting severe(about 30mph is kept, hard to tell because I'm still hopping up in down from swimming) but not complete deceleration and reverse direction. I had this issue before but I thought it was related to ghostwall mechanics. I'm guessing I'm somehow entering exit portal after recovery teleport which reverses direction.

Edit2: Added those 17 buckets back, got the same full stop again at the same place. Removed 5, getting same backhop after somewhere after 1000mph. Smoother acceleration than with -17 though. I'm guessing full stop is a secondary issue from direction reversal and I just lucked out on the full stop. Although with this little testing so far it's not a good idea to jump to conclusions. I think I'm going to leave this one on full stop 'setting' and try to build similar accelerator but with a few blocks longer loop, but first I need to find some more honey.

Attachments

• Capture 2016-05-14 09_26_25.png
    Capture 2016-05-14 09_26_25.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
I never thought of using liquids in this. Interesting idea. Definitely going to check this out.

Can someone try to guess what's causing it?
The only thing I can think of that would stop you like that is teleporting inside of blocks. (but you said you already ruled that out, so I dunno) I'm gonna have to play around with this later to see if I can replicate it.

don't ask me why, I might have gone insane from lack of sleep and all the teleporter noise
I know that feeling lol

Built some variations. Most were stalling at high speeds. Of the two that were accelerating, one gave backhop somewhere between 900 and 1000mph, and the other came to a similar stand still at about same speeds.
Seems i got really lucky with the exit teleporter and entry portal positions.
Fiddled with the blocks under the place where i come to a stop. Removing them, or truning them into half blocks seems to show that i 'arrive' at my final position on the frozen slime block level, not at the teleporter level, although this could afterimages from previous loops or just my eyes playing tricks on me. Also realized that i don't trigger recovery teleporters when i arrive there, but that might be just how pressure plates work, they seem to require minimum fall distance when triggered from above(?).
Moved exit portal further away from exit telporter to rule out teleporting straight into exit portal. There's now 4 blocks of space between exit teleporter and the wall, but i'm still getting backhop.

Built a variant in space to test applicability in low gravity. It works, and as a bonus it gets rid of the vertical screen shaking during acceleration. Built a rail track based launcher to get initial speed(because it's hard to drop down into accelerator when it's on top of the world) and discovered a bug(?)
Seems like this is not always the case:
No friction at all while on rails (including while in liquids).

Found another strange interaction between merfolk form and flipper potion. In my mind it should not affect anything in the accelerator, but it does. Hard to pinpoint what changes exactly but acceleration pattern is noticably different. Didn't look into it much, just noted that flipper potion is not a replacement for neptune's shell(no autoswimm).

I think i'll try to build a water based accelerator to see if that helps. Would have to readjust dimensions for water physics though, and that will probably be alot of trial and error or luck. Or maybe i'll try to get some math behind this.

TL;DR
No progress
[doublepost=1463326140,1463311317][/doublepost]Noticed something really interesting.
Previously I thought that portal skipping was caused by going so fast that you 'warped' around portal area, never actually reregistering points in between that were inside portal(I'm having trouble explaining this, but you hopefully get it if you've read this thread). That might still be the case, but there seems to be an additional cause.

Portals seem to have a cooldown timer. (See attachment 1)
In the screenshot I'm hooked to the ceiling where yellow portal is, without automatically detaching and being teleported. Also in the picture is arms dealer npc, effectively overloading the portal to the point where I can walk on it's surface or try to jump into the top one without triggering the portal. Maximum fall height at which this still happens seems to be 8 or 9 blocks(I might be wrong about 8), with more height(and thus - delay) I begin teleporting(is this still teleporting if I'm not using actual teleporters?) too but with noticeable stops when I hit the ground, presumable until cooldown expires.
This is somewhat weird because nothing like this seem to happen when you trap yourself in a short falling loop.
Multiple npcs seem to be able to teleport at once, either ignoring or resetting the cooldown. Built a small tower (attachment 2) to test it and npcs seem to maintain their spacing while looping and also overloading the portals 'better'(but not completely) than when they are all bunched up. Still can't draw conclusions, because being unable to fire last portal and actuate floors at the same time lead to bottom and top npc bunching up.

Portal cooldowns might explain why I'm getting such wide ranges of speeds where acceleration stalls. I'm kind of expecting it to happen at specific speeds (+-2? due to portals being so wide) and their multiples(I vaguely recall something called 'standing wave' but I forgot too much about physics to be sure if this is relevant or applicable). Then again these expectations also might be completely baseless.

Still, if there is a cooldown on portals, would be interesting to know it for sure, and possibly measure it. Some kind of hoik chain with variable duration release? That's probably another thread though.

Just thought I'd share and maybe discover that it's well known, just not on the wiki.

Edit1: I keep forgetting that this doesn't happen in short falling loops with only the player, so most likely this quirk doesn't affect my accelerator at all. Also, I did mean to put it as a separate post, silly forum double post merging software.

Attachments

• Capture 2016-05-15 16_41_49.png
    Capture 2016-05-15 16_41_49.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Capture 2016-05-15 17_37_22.png
    Capture 2016-05-15 17_37_22.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
I built a loop similar to yours, I can say that the issue is not you or your system. I'm stalling as well, but at a ~720 - 800. (I didn't copy your loop exactly)

With some trial and error (it may have taken me a while to realize I had a Celestial STONE and not a Celestial SHELL >_>), I think I may have figured out what is happening. I believe what is happening is the character is just simple ghosting through the slope. The fact that you stop at the same point every time is, actually, because of the teleporters. Not because you teleporting back, but because your running into the first one. I moved my teleporters onto the track (and actuated them), then removed all blocks under the track to see what would happen and ended up under it every time. When I filled all those blocks in, I started flying out the end of the track

I think its something in the collision detection breaking down while in the honey. Gonna do more testing

Portal cooldowns might explain why I'm getting such wide ranges of speeds where acceleration stalls.
They would also explain some of the quirks I've run into, as well, but the 'warping' around the portal is still an issue, I believe. Especially at high speeds.
[doublepost=1463334028,1463331390][/doublepost]Water is doing the same thing, but only without the Celestial Shell. (it removes the movement penalty in water)

First of all, thank you. I tried moving teleporters up(2 blocks) and leaving the gap as is. Stopping speed changed, but still the same place. I then filled the gap, still stopping, seems around the same speed as last time, filled more empty spaces with blocks, no change(there might be some minor speed changes between the last three, but it's hard to tell, seemed like within 20mph of each other). Then I removed the 1st recovery teleporter, just to make sure I wasn't somehow activating it from some further back trigger, and stopped in the same place again(see attachment 1).
I moved my teleporters onto the track (and actuated them), then removed all blocks under the track to see what would happen and ended up under it every time. When I filled all those blocks in, I started flying out the end of the track
Did you do that in 1 step or 2 steps with tests in between? If it's only one, I think you might be just having trigger problem because moving recovery teleporters up also caused position at the exit teleporter to change(moved 1 block updown?). Try moving trigger platform 1 block up or add another row? Also, screenshot please with your result on that configuration?
Water is doing the same thing, but only without the Celestial Shell. (it removes the movement penalty in water)
Not sure what you mean by this? The only parts of the Celestial Shell that I'm using is autoswim and not having breath meter. Horizontal friction in liquids(both water and honey), when not touching the ground, is removed by holding the portal gun. Friction when touching the ground is removed by frozen slime blocks. Merfolk form does allow you to move a bit better in water, but you're still affected by horizontal friction and it does not work in honey.

Edit1: I did suspect that I'm ghosting through the top sloped block, thinking that maybe portals ghosts the wall behind them to help detection. I tried to ghost it myself but apparently you can't ghost sloped blocks. Replaced that part with a honey block and it didn't affect anything, so I don't think I'm touching it, so it might indeed be ghosted, but I kind of figured if there was clipping through, your designs few posts back with their single block slopes would have much more trouble with it, so I kind of dropped it.

Edit2: Apparently you can ghost sloped blocks, but that type just immediately hoiks you up, which is why I thought it wasn't working

Edit3: Apparently I can't read or make a post without a dozen edits. Tried to catch the stop moment with autopause(see attachment 2). Around the time of the screenshot, I was no longer moving horizontally, but I did seem to go up a bit before falling down, as if I swam out of liquid and had a brief hop to surface. I could be mistaking, and there was no moving up part and I just materialized in the air. Or, I just realized, I'm clipping into ceiling. Need to remove it, look forward to edit4 :p
Anyway, after that screenshot, reread your post and realized I was misreading parts of it, thus edit3.. Then proceeded to remove a lot of unnecessary blocks(see attachment 3) to see if I could end up under the recovery teleporters, but it didn't change accelerator behavior in any way. Same stopping speed, same x coordinates where I stop. Anyway, going to remove the ceiling, brb.. Hmm, seems like attachment order might be wrong? Sorry about that

Edit4: That one block, that would have been under rightmost block of the teleporter(that is removed in that picture). The one 3 blocks right from the topmost sloped block. I removed it mostly to calm my ocd. Removing it made me stop 1 more block to the right. Proceeded to remove the whole floor and levitate the teleporters. Running into problems, but they're simple engineering problems. Exciting times! Hopefully I won't run into new mystical problems(wonder if that block caused backhop too? Don't really know how I would test it)
Anyway, thanks for helping and tolerating my ramblings. Probably won't post again unless I manage to get it to at least 3k mph, or run into more odd problems.
ty bb

Attachments

• Capture 2016-05-15 21_01_59.png
    Capture 2016-05-15 21_01_59.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Capture 2016-05-15 22_09_19.png
    Capture 2016-05-15 22_09_19.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Capture 2016-05-15 22_44_52.png
    Capture 2016-05-15 22_44_52.png
    68 KB · Views: 144
Last edited: