Favorite/Most Important update

Random Fellow

Skeletron
Which update do you think is the best? Do you like it because it introduced you to the game? Or do you like it because it might have revived the game?

I can't really pick one for a most important update. But I can pick a favorite, well kinda. I got introduced while 1.2 was on consoles and I loved it, 1.3 made me love the game even more and gave me a button more time on it. 1.4 got me to download Terraria on steam and I love it so much, might be my favorite even though I haven't experienced it all. Each update kinda has their own flavor.

terraria-screenshot-0.jpg

1.1 brought the game to it's legs we all know today. Mech bosses, underground Corruption, biome spread Hollow, HARDMODE.
maxresdefault.jpg

1.2 revived the game, and while rushed a bit with a few oversights it brings some of my favorite content in the game ever such as the Hardmode Jungle, it even brought us the Queen Bee and Crimson.
Screenshot_2015-06-25-21-33-55.png

1.3 polished and really brought it all together for the game and officially added an endgame, two new classes, the most popular update maybe. This one brought a ton of stuff and I still love it. Incredibly cool.
pasted image 0.png

1.4 is the most ambitious update, revamping the game, polishing it a ton and completely changing the experience even moreso than any other updates.
I didn't even mention like a quarter of what it brought, yeah this one's my favorite.

Done for fun, respect eachothers opinions.

I didn't start playing until late 2017 so the only significant update I seen was 1.4, so can't really use any of the other updates as a point of reference.
From just looking at the changelogs, clips and content added though, I'd say 1.2 was the meatiest update (literally, in the Crimson's case), as it basically resembles 1.4 today graphically. 1.1 footage looks more similar to 1.0 footage.

1.3 and the subsequent 1.3.X updates were the most important imo. The entirety of Expert Mode, the wiring updates of 1.3.1, and fleshing out so many invasions and biomes (or at least beginning to flesh them out) can't really be beat by 1.4. People forget just how gigantic that update was.

That said, 1.4 is probably my personal favorite just because of how atmospheric it made everything and the overhauls of existing weapons.

1.2 was the most important imo, because of the size of the update and the opportunities it opened up for the game’s future.

It brought in a complete overhaul of sprites (the backgrounds, sky, sun, torches, etc) that made the game feel less plastic and more polished. It also brought on the block forms, pickaxe reworks, automatically climbing slopes and plenty of other QoL. It upped the size of the game with both the Snow and Crimson biomes and complete overhauls of other biomes, and had as much if not more raw content than 1.3. It added the paint and dye systems for much more customization. It gave the game atmosphere through rain, new music and variety in backgrounds, It completely reanalyzed balance and grinding, for example moving Hallowed items to Hallowed Bars.

There’s no denying that other updates made huge changes (1.3 adding Expert Mode and the endgame, 1.1 adding the entire concept of Hardmode and many of its key features, and 1.4 completely overthrowing the game’s atmosphere) but in my opinion, the amount and variety that 1.2 brought makes it the biggest and most important update.

Last edited:
For me, I'd have to be the time between 1.3.6, which was the original goal, to 1.4.0; what we actually got. This was the most important update to me for a good number of reasons.
  1. This time span would have to be the most I've ever actively participated in the community, consistently.
  2. This was the first time it'd ever occurred to me, that the Devs were also fans of the game they created.
  3. I had several, rather large projects planned, that encapsulated the same spirit as the updates we eventually got!
  4. This was the first time in gaming history, for me, that the Devs overdelivered on their promises.
  5. All of the minor details that make Terraria charming, like food items, got a major overhaul and I didn't see that coming, as a person who'd moved away from playing, and mostly using the game as a social lobby (which changed with the updates)!
Terraria - Start the Ceremony 03-29-2021.jpg

There are of course other updates that were super exciting for me, but 1.4.0 is the only one that inspired me to relearn the game. I was able to discover new changes to mechanics, upgrading, new drops, new encounters and a plethora of other cool additions, all on my own (well, not completely, seeing as how it was multiplayer but... I'm sure you understand what I mean). 😏 🤷‍♂️

I would have to say that 1.2 was the most important update for me. Terraria 1.1 was honestly so bland in comparison. 1.2 added so many features; unique set bonuses, the standard content (made the jungle and snow biome useful), the wings system, the first iteration of the summoner class, slanted tiles, the ability to automatically walk up blocks, dyes, and so many more items. 1.3, 1.1 (when I started playing) and 1.4 are all phenomenal updates, but honestly 1.2 to me was the first time the potential of Terraria was realized.

I would have to say that 1.2 was the most important update for me. Terraria 1.1 was honestly so bland in comparison. 1.2 added so many features; unique set bonuses, the standard content (made the jungle and snow biome useful), the wings system, the first iteration of the summoner class, slanted tiles, the ability to automatically walk up blocks, dyes, and so many more items. 1.3, 1.1 (when I started playing) and 1.4 are all phenomenal updates, but honestly 1.2 to me was the first time the potential of Terraria was realized.
1.1 was really supposed to be a simple expansion, 1.1 and 1.2 were meant to be the final updates so its not a surprise they have rough edges and 1.1 feels strange playing now

I’m gonna have to say, 1.3.
The Lunar Update added a great amount of content, and so many events happened in the times of 1.3. You were in a free world with so much more to do, beat the cultist, speed run the new game, test weird bugs the were honestly making the game better and wacky.

I’m gonna have to say, 1.3.
The Lunar Update added a great amount of content, and so many events happened in the times of 1.3. You were in a free world with so much more to do, beat the cultist, speed run the new game, test weird bugs the were honestly making the game better and wacky.
Also Expert Mode, which allowed players to challenge themselves and led to Master Mode and Journey Mode, which along with For The Worthy gives players a lot of customization in terms of difficulty level. If Expert Mode hadn't been made then we'd probably still be stuck with Classic Mode.

Also Expert Mode, which allowed players to challenge themselves and led to Master Mode and Journey Mode, which along with For The Worthy gives players a lot of customization in terms of difficulty level. If Expert Mode hadn't been made then we'd probably still be stuck with Classic Mode.
I strongly agree with that opinion, I believe 1.3 lead to the branches of 1.4. Besides the amazing content updated, it gave pro players a new chance to challenge themselves.

Back
Top Bottom