Field Research: Duke Fishron

Ravvynfall

Duke Fishron
Hey there my fellow terrarians, I'll cut right to the chase on this one. I'm conducting a bunch of research on bosses, and what most terrarians consider to be the "standard" for sequential order and why they feel certain bosses are overwhelming or underwhelming, etc.

This particular bit, I'm dedicating to getting as much general thoughts on Duke Fishron.
I would like to know a few things from you guys, do you find yourself trying to kill duke before or after plantera? before or after moon lord? Do you find him too hard or not hard enough? Anything on your mind about duke, I'd love to hear it :D

Cheers (and thanks for the feedback)!

I think Duke Fishron is a good challenging boss. This is mostly for the fact that if you died to it, it should be pretty clear as to why. The simple charges, approaching the Sharknados (or being trapped by them) or the bubbles, very clear. The boss itself has a strict routine, yet still gets a mark for being difficult. Combining these factors often churns out a boss that, while it is initially difficult, people find comfortable learning and improving against. Assuming they have the skill to, of course. For most, if not all of us, our first experiences with this kind of boss never goes well regardless of our skill levels.

The boss itself (and its gear) is tiered on the same line as the festive moon gear. Killing Duke with lunar-tiered gear is pretty much overkill. The fact that you can kill it the instance you enter hardmode is quite interesting, as you could get the Tsunami to dwarf the mechanicals and Plantera. But that reward is kind of deserved to those that can kill it pre-mech.

I think Duke Fishron is a good challenging boss. This is mostly for the fact that if you died to it, it should be pretty clear as to why. The simple charges, approaching the Sharknados (or being trapped by them) or the bubbles, very clear. The boss itself has a strict routine, yet still gets a mark for being difficult. Combining these factors often churns out a boss that, while it is initially difficult, people find comfortable learning and improving against. Assuming they have the skill to, of course. For most, if not all of us, our first experiences with this kind of boss never goes well regardless of our skill levels.

The boss itself (and its gear) is tiered on the same line as the festive moon gear. Killing Duke with lunar-tiered gear is pretty much overkill. The fact that you can kill it the instance you enter hardmode is quite interesting, as you could get the Tsunami to dwarf the mechanicals and Plantera. But that reward is kind of deserved to those that can kill it pre-mech.

generally, this is my same thought too, thanks for your feedback :D
it is definitely a valuable bit of data for my research too, generally, I do hear a lot of mixed feelings about duke though

[edit] typically, I find duke to be most enjoyable with pre-mech gear myself. duke is an admirable foe with such "low tier" gear :D

I try to defeat Duke Fishron before Plantera. Even in Expert mode, he CAN be defeated before Plantera in Hallowed/Chlorophtye, heck even in Adamantite/Titanium.

Duke Fishron, eh?
A very nice boss, indeed.
It's a very fast-paced, intense fight. Dodging the bubbles can prove difficult at times, and it's overall a challenging boss if you aren't fast and dishing out the damage. A very fun battle with friends.

I personally find myself defeating Duke before Plantera most of time, because it feels slightly easier to setup an Ocean Arena to defeat the Duke, get its weapons which somewhat negates the need to build a sophisticated Arena for Plantera. If I get the Terra Blade or even just a Magic Harp or Megashark, it is possible for me to defeat the Duke with effective dodging using the Platforms I've built. (This applies to Expert Mode as well, and I have beaten Duke Fishron before Plantera in Expert Mode)

While I don't mind setting up an Arena for Plantera it is more difficult than just building a giant open arena of platforms for bosses like the Mechs, EoC, or the Moon Lord since you have to work around/through more blocks underground. Also getting Duke Fishron's weapons has me set in terms of having great weapons and Wings until the Lunar Events, it feels like there isn't as much point to fighting Duke Fishron if I fight Golem then do the Lunar Events before Fishron to get Lunar gear which is better than Fishron's Gear anyway.

Normally, before plantera, as the Tsunami and Razorblade Typhoon would help much.
It's not so difficult with a good arena.

But if not feeling like an arena, I'd like to do so with Phantasm.(as the Razorblade Typhoon is still helpful even after Moon Lord).

this is all wonderful feedback guys, thank you! now, i am curious to hear thoughts on the opposite said of opinion. can we hear from some people that have reasons to believe he is too hard and why? the "why" part is most critical for my research :)

thank you guys again, you're helping my research quite significantly :D

While I could do Fishron with pre-Plantera gear, I don't do it because it feels like a huge progress break. Considering you can defeat him pre-Plantera or even pre-Mech, it can be a good challenge, but it feels like breaking the Mechanical Bosses and even Plantera. Some people may like it but doing him post-Plantera is something like just a slight jump in progress.

However I'll try to do him pre-Plantera, even on Expert (good luck).

I like to fight the Martian Saucer first to get the Car Key, making everything 10x easier. I guess I'm a noob compared to the guys above me :)

I like to fight the Martian Saucer first to get the Car Key, making everything 10x easier. I guess I'm a noob compared to the guys above me :)
at least you're honest and humble about it :D

now, if i'm reading what you're saying correctly, you basically have a hard time with dodging/juking and keeping decent speed against duke. am i understanding correctly?

at least you're honest and humble about it :D

now, if i'm reading what you're saying correctly, you basically have a hard time with dodging/juking and keeping decent speed against duke. am i understanding correctly?

I'd like to think of it as a my own strategy (Never done it without). I always go for the car key first, and when used with buffs and Vampire Knives, my health rarely goes below 400. I like to make sure I definitely win first!

I've never tried defeating duke pre-Plantera before as you can still easily killed even after Plantera (Usually with those damn Cthulhunado)
But I might try to break my limit by fight it post-mech on my current playthrough (which is armorless expert, good luck me!)

Back
Top Bottom