Feedback

• Agree

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Disagree

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

Logi

Terrarian
Ok so my suggestion is a simple one in terms of concept but feel free to let me know if it cannot be done with terraria's limitations.

I've spent a while wondering why the option to move a chest with items inside of it has not been available. It is such a chore to loot all all the items in your chest just to move it a few spaces over into a better spot in your house. This is especially an ordeal when you want to create an entirely different home (like on the other side of the map) and you have already spent some time organizing your storage.

There are only 2 obvious reasons I could think of why such a feature hasn't been implemented.
1. Terraria's engine won't allow it.
2. players would have an endless supply of resources at all times by hoarding chests in their inventory. (thus never having a reason to go home)

So my suggestion is to add another button on the chest menu.
something along the lines of "move chest"

Upon pressing that button, the player will exit the chest menu and their character's sprite will change. Showing him/her lifting the chest.
Lifting-1.png
My sad attempt at pixel art. Just a concept of how it may look.

• While lifting a chest, the player may not use any weapons or tools.
  • Right click/interact button will drop the chest where the player is standing. (or place it)
  • Getting hurt will cause the player to drop the chest.
Maybe this could even be expanded upon with the use of mounts/minecarts/vehicles. Such as carrying more than one chest at a time.

Let me know your thoughts. Do you have any additions/changes? Better ideas? Is a silly idea? Does something like this already exist in game? Has this been suggested before?

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
That's a neat, and probably feasible, idea, and I'd be all for it.

Actually, one thing I thought of when reading this thread was the JABBA mod for Minecraft, which has a dolly item you can use to pick up inventories- be it chests or barrels- and while doing so you gain several debuffs, primarily slowness and mini fatigue. That might be something worth looking into for inspiration on this idea.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be sure to check out that mod and see if any mechanics can be applied here.

Nice concept.

I don't really think there's much of a downside to this.

Since really, the first reason you supplied may be plausible, but the second one, not very much.

If you still want to atone the second reason you supplied, perhaps halving movement speed while carrying a chest?

This is a neat idea, but the concept needs some fleshing out.

What happens if Terraria is force-quitted, disallowing a save, when a character is carrying a chest? Will the game save the local character along with data on him carrying a chest and it's contents the moment he picks up a chest? And if this is the case; how will multiplayer handle kicking someone carrying a chest out of their server? Will the chest be restored to it's original position prior to being picked up and forcefully removed from the characters inventory? Then what if said character quits WHILE on a server through ending the process, thus not letting the server carry out this operation? Will chest moving work differently on servers, saving the positions the chest was picked up on and putting it there during these circumstances? To prevent confusion, is it not then better to apply this to all cases of carrying a chest?

What happens if the character dies or gets hurt while holding a chest and the chest cannot be placed on the spot the character was standing on? Will it turn to a pickup-type item? How do you then pick it up and start carrying it like before? Will it perhaps force itself onto the nearest platform or create one itself out of some useless material?

There are a lot of variables that need to be worked out in order to implement this. Although the idea is very intriguing.

Back
Top Bottom