PC Final RAM Design and Update on the Computer Project

Programmatic

Steampunker
So I've been mostly absent from T-MEC for a while due to college, but I want to say that I have not given up on my plan to make a working computer in Terraria. Now that I'm on Thanksgiving break, I've finally managed to finalize my design for a 64 KB RAM chip. I've also gotten rid of my 16 bit ALU as I've decided to use a different CPU architecture. Beforehand, I was going to implement the x86 architecture, which is used in most Intel processors. However, as a CISC architecture, it proved far too complex to implement with its massive instruction set. Instead, I've switched to MIPS, an RISC architecture with an extremely small instruction set. While creating programs with MIPS will likely take much longer, designing the actual CPU should be a much simpler task.

Anyway, here are a few modifications that I've made to my RAM chip:

1: Using tons of junction boxes, I've compressed the memory and data buses into half of their previous sizes.

2: Rather than accessing each byte individually, the bytes are now grouped into 16-byte blocks. The read/write unit can then select which byte or word to read from or write to. This makes the memory bus huge, but it should now be possible to access multiple bytes or words in a single tick.

wHYtIdu.png
7vlKyqq.png

MyH3UzH.png
0ileD0c.png

hJ4l1dd.png
MzXZwnx.png

3: Instead of having a separate multiplexer for each column of bytes, I've decided to arrange the 16-byte blocks into a matrix structure, with two separate multiplexers (one connected horizontally and the other vertically) which are then merged using AND gates that are connected to each block. With this design, the chip is slightly taller, but it is not nearly as long.

B9zrpj2.png
iWcc80M.png

That's all for now. I'll be back once I've finished making the new ALU.

Most of that went over my head but trying to implement x86, a modern architecture your very computer runs on? Thats ambitious. Maybe you should do it someday. I look forward to seeing the results of your fast RAM!

I was wondering if you were still working on this. It sounds interesting, but what do you plan on using this computer for?

I was wondering if you were still working on this. It sounds interesting, but what do you plan on using this computer for?

The intent is to provide myself with a sense of pride and accomplishment for completing such a task.

Jokes aside, I mainly intend to use the computer as a proof of concept (as LavaGamer stated), to push Terraria's wiring system to its full potential. I may also use it for educational purposes in the future, as I hope to start making more guides involving advanced wiring.

Back
Top Bottom