Game Mechanics Fire weapons working underwater

Snickerbobble

The Painter
All fire weapons used to work in water before, but then they changed it. I think all fire weapons should work underwater again. It may not be realistic, but it's a problem because it isn't fair. Water becomes the no mage zone.

A caster is using the flamelash and flower of fire. When underwater, they cannot attack. Meanwhile someone who is a warrior can use their fiery greatsword or sunfury, and then a ranger can still use their molten fury. The caster is forced to swap weapons but other classes still get to use whatever they want. It would only be fair to let all fire attacks work underwater just like everything else.

Thinking about it this mostly effects the mage class, though there is the flame thrower and elf melter for ranged. But those should also work under water. Maybe the gel is magical?

EDIT: As @Gotcha! pointed out, bat scepter doesn't work under water, so it probably should work as well.

Last edited:
I too support underwater equality! :dryadwhat: I don't particularly mind whether all fire weapons work or none, but I'm an egalitarian at heart :dryadsmile:

Full support, and while you're at it, I'd really like a minimum distance for bats to travel from my bat sceptre when under water.
Ofcourse they can be penalized, they'd just need to spawn and fly far enough to kill the creep that's standing right in my face.

Just give them an upgrade to a magical Terrarian version of a Greek fire in the lore, and we're all sorted!

Using Greek Fire underwater is like trying to light a match at the bottom of a pool of petrol, though.

Personally I don't feel the solution to not all fire weapons working underwater should be making all of them work, but instead none of them. Fire tends to illuminate, so water is now nice, dark, scary and filled with monsters again.

Using Greek Fire underwater is like trying to light a match at the bottom of a pool of petrol, though.

I know that, of course. But you're taking the quote "Greek fire" out of context %-_-

I said magical Terrarian Greek fire :dryadnaughty:

I think they should work differently underwater. Maybe projectiles should turn into a swarm of bubbles on collision with water, and then turn into steam projectiles when out of water.

Rangers can't use the Flamethrower and Elf Melter though. Some balance there.
I know they can't.. I mentioned it in the OP. From a game balance standpoint, it doesn't make sense for certain weapons to not work under water. Imagine if the underworld was instead venom-themed, then suddenly all the venom weapons would work in water, complete with debuffs? But since it is fire, only magic can't be used for some reason.

Full support, and while you're at it, I'd really like a minimum distance for bats to travel from my bat sceptre when under water.
Ofcourse they can be penalized, they'd just need to spawn and fly far enough to kill the creep that's standing right in my face.
Right! I forgot about that one (well, I did have this typed up before Pumpkin Moon update but.. it should work, too.)

Personally I don't feel the solution to not all fire weapons working underwater should be making all of them work, but instead none of them. Fire tends to illuminate, so water is now nice, dark, scary and filled with monsters again.
Fairness > Realism. If I tier up, I want to be able to use my new tier.

So... Terrarian fire? It's not very Greek.

Neither is Greek fire very Greek. It was Byzantine, it just spoke Greek (the people, not the fire). Excuse me for using the most common name :dryadwhat:

I shall edit my post to "magical Terrarian sticky fire" :dryadrolleyes:

Fairness > Realism. If I tier up, I want to be able to use my new tier.

I wasn't being realistic, I was being fair. All of them or none of them, that was my point. If I was being realistic I might as well have said that magical fire should work underwater because it's magical.

I wasn't being realistic, I was being fair. All of them or none of them, that was my point. If I was being realistic I might as well have said that magical fire should work underwater because it's magical.
I know, I was meaning, if I tier up, it's not fair if I can't use my new stuff. Not being able to use my new weapons isn't fun, so I'd prefer all to work.

I think rather than re-buffing the mage setup, the melee, ranger and summoner fire weapons should be nerfed, to make water an unique environment to fight in.
For example, Molten Fury wouldn't set arrows on fire anymore, and arrows in general would be slowed down a bit, maybe even lose some of their damage (10% of Bow and Arrow damage combined?).
The fiery greatsword and sunfury, naturally, can't set enemies on fire anymore. They could additionally shrink and lose some of their damage when put underwater. The sunfury's range would decrease a bit.
I don't know whether or not the imp staff can attack underwater, but naturally, it wouldn't be able to. Maybe the AI could try focusing enemies which are out of the water, when the imps themselves are aswell, though.

The mage would still be the weakest class underwater during the hellfire stage of the game, so I propose that fire-based weapons have a short duration underwater (excluding cursed fire), before the flames go out and the weapon is rendered useless/less useful. Short-range attacks using Flamelash and Flower of Fire would be possible.

Back
Top Bottom