Weapons & Equip Fire!

LoM2

Retinazer
Hello everybody! I have very little idea if this should go in mechanics, items, or equipment, but who cares? Let's get this started.

In my opinion, there's one thing that would make a very nice addition to Terraria...

EDIT: Apparently my title gifs are broken. I give up.
EDITx2: I fixed the GIFs! Yay me!

WWak687.gif
4oR7E9I.png
WWak687.gif

Well, that sizing is off. Crud. Anyways, enough shamelessly pulling images off the net (not) to make the idea slightly easier on the eyes! Let's ACTUALLY get this started.

Before we start (starting is taking longer than expected) , yes, I am perfectly aware that fire does exist. Read the suggestion before telling me that "we has fire geez m2 so unneeded"

Also, I can't sprite for the life of me. Therefore I'm just going to pull item images off of the wiki so it's not just a enormous amount of text. (Aren't I considerate?)

Remember the Slime gun? That one thing that no one actually really cared about? Let's put it to good use.

Slime_Gun.png
As most of us know, drop from king slime. Does absolutely nothing but give the "Slimed effect", which makes them drip slime. And does nothing else. Okay, great.

My idea for this is for the Slimed effect to double the damage and increase the duration of any fire debuff (On Fire, Cursed Inferno, Frostburn) by 150%. You can also slime the ground, any slime that is on the ground will ignite instantly if touched by fire. (Unlit slime will dissapear after ten seconds, slime that has been lit on fire will disappear after five.)

In terms of what can ignite a gel fire: Any weapon that already applies fire, as well as explosions. And a few other things we'll discuss later.

Give this a bit of use and give us an actual reason to kill King Slime.

*From now on, if I say "gel" or "slime" assume I mean the stuff that this thing shoots unless I specify otherwise.*

Before I keep going with the items: A few changes to how fire works in Terraria. All attacks work the same, nothing wrong there... but how fire interacts with blocks could use some changing.

When I refer to "fire" assume I mean all three forms unless I specifically say otherwise.

When I say "catch on fire" assume I mean you shot a fire arrow or a flamelash or something at it. Or a flamethrower.

EDIT: Apparently I should make this clearer since a lot of people are getting confused. Fire does not actually break any blocks.

Wood.png
Wood: If a piece of placed wood catches on fire, the fire slowly spreads to any adjacent wood blocks. Goes out after fifteen seconds, but can reignite itself if nearby wood is still on fire. Obviously if you touch flaming wood, you'll catch on fire too... Will discuss how to put this stuff out later. While on fire, wood turns black (charcoal) but if it gets put out it turns back into it's normal form.

If wood catches on fire more than twice within a minute, after it goes out the second time will be immune to fire from nearby wood for 2 minutes. (So that the fire actually dies out.)

Slime_Block.png
Slime Blocks: Spreads much faster than wood, doesn't put itself out naturally, and any fire damage taken from it will be doubled.

Tree.png
Trees: Leaves will be burnt off. No real functional change, but thought it would aesthetically look better. Not strictly necessary though.

Now, moving away from the blocks... onto a few weapons. It strikes me as somewhat unfair that I can't use a flamethrower/flame lash in water, but I'm allowed to swing a sword made of fire... Pretty sure this has been discussed on a different thread before, but either apply the same restrictions or don't apply the restrictions in the first place.

Back onto the weapons! The water gun (Also currently useless) could use some love too.

Water_Gun.png
Water gun: Puts out regular and frostburn fires. Good for when you accidentally set fire to your base and don't want to wait it out.

Also: No longer bought from Travelling Merchant. Instead:
Slime_Gun.png
x1
Bottled_Water.png
x20
Green_Dye.png
x1
= 1 Water Gun.

No, I'm not kidding. Weaponize torches!

For all torches: Left click to place normally. Right click to throw. If thrown torch hits a mob, then below effects happen. Torches drop as an item if it hits a block, disappear if hits a mob.

Torch.png
Torch: 5 damage. Inflicts On Fire.
White_Torch.png
Gem Torch: 7 damage. Inflicts On Fire, makes enemy glow corresponding color (if possible.)
Ice_Torch.png
Ice Torch: 7 Damage. Inflicts On Fire and Slow. (No frostburn because it's too early and it probably wouldn't be good if they set a fire they can't put out.)
Cursed_Torch.png
Ichor_Torch.png
Cursed/Ichor torches: 11 damage. Inflicts respective debuff.
Demon_Torch.png
Demon Torch: 11 damage. On Fire debuff. (If anyone has any suggestions for this, let me know. It's a little hard since these are in limited supply per world but still pre-HM.
Ultrabright_Torch.png
UltraBright Torch- See Gem Torches

If a thrown torch hits a pile of slime gel, then the slime ignites. (Just so you can casually toss a torch over your shoulder into a mass of slime and walk away feeling awesome.) Does not ignite blocks unless they have gel on them.

Last edited:
Second part.

Now, let's discuss how to unburn your base.
A) I already talked about the Water Gun.
B) Regular water can also put out a regular fire.
C) But what happens if you were stupid brave enough to throw Cursed Flames at your house?
Methinks it's time for the water gun to get an upgrade.

Holy Water Blaster
Water_Gun.png
x1
Illegal_Gun_Parts.png
x1
Holy_Water.png
x50
Unicorn_Horn.png
x5
Crafted at an Imbuing Station in the Hallow

Guess what it does!
It puts out Cursed Flames. Yay.

It also has a slightly larger stream of water and shoots faster.

But let's say you made a giant wooden tower and you "accidentally" set fire to it and the HWB is STILL too slow. (Picky much?) So... a few more items for you!

Fire Hydrant
Iron_Bar.png
x20
Wire.png
x5

Can be wired up to a inlet pump. (That is the one that takes in liquid, right?)

Hose
Tin_Bar.png
x2
Silk.png
x20
Made at
Heavy_Work_Bench.png

To use: Hold in hand and right click on a Hydrant. Good job! Now it's connected. Extends up to ten blocks before breaking and dropping as an item. While connected, any water gun you hold will have enhanced abilities (larger spray, goes further, smaller use time), but will only work if A) the hydrant is attached to an Inlet Pump and B) the Inlet pump is submerged in liquid. When you use a water gun while attatched to a hydrant, you'll be slowly using up the liquid supply. AKA don't do it if there's two fire blocks in front of you.

Was that complicated? If so, please don't ever become a firefighter. please
On a vaguely related note:
Yes, I know they aren't that closely related to fire, but it's explosions and explosions = fire and yeah. You get my point.
Crafting:
Barrel.png
x1
Dynamite.png
x2
Creates 1 Explosive Barrel. Craftable by hand.
Placeable

When left clicked: Placed on side. Hit with pickaxe to cause it to roll, much like a boulder. Except for the fact that once it hits a block, it explodes. (And yes, it does block damage. A LOT of block damage.)
When right clicked: Placed not-on-side. (Standing up.) Hitting it with a pickaxe will cause it to explode in your face. Hitting it with ANYTHING that deals more than 30 damage, or dealing more than 40 damage within five seconds, will cause it to explode.

(So I can place a barrel down, then walk away and shoot my Phoenix Blaster at it. Just to look cool.
Now the Slime gun feels sad because the HWB is so much more epic. Lets fix that.
Slime_Gun.png
x1
Illegal_Gun_Parts.png
x1
Gel.png
x999
Soul_of_Night.png
x10

Fires faster, slightly larger stream of gel. But hey, that's rather boring. How about a special ability?

*cue infomercial*
Hey kids? Are you tired of those pesky slimes?

*you're supposed to say "yes" right about now*

Okay fine. Be that way.

Introducing the Slime Blaster 5000! Now, you can pick up those darn nuiances and shoot them at other slimes! It's like throwing bones at a Skeleton!

*Side effects include burning down your house, losing all of your friends and potentially your life. We are not responsible for any damages caused by use of the Slime Blaster 5000.*

Get any of that? No? Okay, well, basically if a slime is within range of you, you can right click to pick him up. (Okay, I would like to note here: When you have this item in your hand, a glass tank appears on your back, filled with gel. Once you pick up a slime a miniature version of said slime appears in tank.) Then you can shoot him!
Only one slime can be picked up at once. Picked up slimes do not become items. Having more than one Slime Blaster does not allow you to pick up more than one slime. Obviously cannot pick up King Slime, although that would, admittedly, be cool.

Slime Effects: (Oh, now things are getting interesting)

All splatter effects give any nearby mobs Slimed.

Green_Slime.png
Blue_Slime.png
Red_Slime.png
Purple_Slime.png
Yellow_Slime.png
: Deals 6, 7, 12, 12 and 15 damage respectively. When hits a mob/block, deals damage and splatters gel.
Black_Slime.png
: 15 damage. Inflicts Confusion on whatever it hits. (Because, you know, blindness doesn't really work on mobs)
Mother_Slime.png
: Halves YOUR movement speed and range. 20 damage. Splatters gel in a larger area and shoots out 1-3 Baby slimes upon impact.
Baby_Slime.png
: 13 damage. Very small gel splatter effect.
Pinky.png
: 5 damage, very high velocity, piercing effect. Does not splatter on impact with enemy, applies Slimed to anything it hits. Very little splatter upon contact with block.

Last edited:
Apparently I require a third post because I overdid it with the images. Oops.

Jungle_Slime.png
: 18 damage. Inflicts Poisoned upon impact.
Lava_Slime.png
: 15 damage. Upon impact turns into a fireball. (I don't understand how lava slimes even exist, they should be igniting themselves :p)
Dungeon_Slime.png
: Halves movement speed/range. 30 damage. Large splatter radius, shoots out a key at nearest mob.
Ice_Slime.png
: 8 damage. Inflicts Chilled.
Spiked_Ice_Slime.png
: 12 damage. Inflicts chilled, 50% chance to inflict Frozen.
Umbrella_Slime.png
: 10 Damage. Double range but low velocity. Slightly larger splatter radius.
Spiked_Jungle_Slime.png
: 28 damage. 50% chance to inflict poisoned, otherwise inflicts Venom.

Seasonal slimes: Damage is whatever their normal damage is. I'm tired of copypasting images. If you haven't noticed, that's pretty much the rule for the rest of these anyways.

Corrupt_Slime.png
Crimslime.png
: Halved movement/range. 55 and 60 damage, relatively. Large splatter radius. Corrupt Slime creates 1-3 slimelings upon death.
Slimeling.png
: 45 damage. Small splatter radius.
Illuminant_Slime.png
: 70 damage. High velocity, gives off light.
Rainbow_Slime.png
: Takes three seconds to pick up. Movement speed and range decreased by 75%. 85 damage, very large splatter radius.
Slimer.png
: (If still winged): Not affected by gravity. 45 Damage. (If not winged): 45 damage
Toxic Sludge doesn't count because he doesn't look like a slime. Impeccable logic.

You don't get the slime's drops if you pick up the slime. Not really intended to be used as a main weapon, just something to mess around with. (Also if you're really determined to slime a large area, you can set up a slime statue farm or something.)

Images are fixed now, after a lot of tinkering.

ANYWAYS. Any feedback/suggestions are welcome as always.

Last edited:
So... Run around with flamethrower, cause a whole manner of anarchy?
Burn down a house?
Burn down a city?
SET THE WHOLE MOTHER:red:ING WORLD ON FIRE WITH A SLIME GUN AND A FLAMETHROWER!?

Yes.
Have all my support.
And more.
You remind me of one of my friends.

One more thing: All this fire stuff only happens if you slime stuff, right? Griefing 101...
As far as I can tell you can't really "grief" with this, nothing here actually damages blocks (except the dynamite barrel, but that's not even really fire.). The WORST you could do is set fire to someone's house, which they can easily put out. Which is why I prefer having fire automatically catch onto wood, though I suppose that could be changed.

As far as I can tell you can't really "grief" with this, nothing here actually damages blocks (except the dynamite barrel, but that's not even really fire.). The WORST you could do is set fire to someone's house, which they can easily put out. Which is why I prefer having fire automatically catch onto wood, though I suppose that could be changed.

Also, you'd have to have a water gun in order to put that out, and I don't always have one...

The main part of the suggestion is cool (the slime you can light on fire), but I have some... serious issues with a lot of the other parts.

Before I keep going with the items: A few changes to how fire works in Terraria. All attacks work the same, nothing wrong there... but how fire interacts with blocks could use some changing.

When I refer to "fire" assume I mean all three forms unless I specifically say otherwise.

When I say "catch on fire" assume I mean you shot a fire arrow or a flamelash or something at it. Or a flamethrower.

Wood.png
Wood: If a piece of placed wood catches on fire, the fire slowly spreads to any adjacent wood blocks. Goes out after fifteen seconds, but can reignite itself if nearby wood is still on fire. Obviously if you touch flaming wood, you'll catch on fire too... Will discuss how to put this stuff out later.

Slime_Block.png
Slime Blocks: Spreads much faster than wood, doesn't put itself out naturally, and any fire damage taken from it will be doubled.

Tree.png
Trees: Leaves will be burnt off. No real functional change, but thought it would aesthetically look better. Not strictly necessary though.

I'd rather NOT light my house on fire by accident and have the whole thing burn down. 0 support on this part. Servers would just end up needing to block all fire-based weapons from being used to prevent griefing, like they do already with explosives. Say goodbye to a huge selection of spells and ranger weapons.

If a thrown torch hits a pile of slime gel, then the slime ignites. (Just so you can casually toss a torch over your shoulder into a mass of slime and walk away feeling awesome.) Does not ignite wood, but does ignite Slime Blocks.

This would be cool, except for the lighting of slime blocks. Once again, I'd rather not accidentally light something I built on fire. Torches should light gel/mobs on fire with their respective flames, also. Flame particles retextured as needed for certain torch types lacking a unique fire variant debuff.

(No frostburn because it's too early and it probably wouldn't be good if they set a fire they can't put out.)

Considering the play can craft Frostburn Arrows out of Ice Torches, this here is pointless. Why can't the torches light things on fire, but putting them on an arrow lets them?

So, essentially, my take on the suggestion is that it's a good idea, but the block burning needs to go, because players shouldn't be required to carry a water gun with them to put out fires.

The main part of the suggestion is cool (the slime you can light on fire), but I have some... serious issues with a lot of the other parts.

I'd rather NOT light my house on fire by accident and have the whole thing burn down. 0 support on this part. Servers would just end up needing to block all fire-based weapons from being used to prevent griefing, like they do already with explosives. Say goodbye to a huge selection of spells and ranger weapons.

This would be cool, except for the lighting of slime blocks. Once again, I'd rather not accidentally light something I built on fire. Torches should light gel/mobs on fire with their respective flames, also. Flame particles retextured as needed for certain torch types lacking a unique fire variant debuff.

Considering the play can craft Frostburn Arrows out of Ice Torches, this here is pointless. Why can't the torches light things on fire, but putting them on an arrow lets them?

So, essentially, my take on the suggestion is that it's a good idea, but the block burning needs to go, because players shouldn't be required to carry a water gun with them to put out fires.
Blocks wouldn't "burn down" per se, they would become hazards, but would not in themselves be destroyed. I'll edit it so that fires go out and cannot be reignited for a certain amount of time.

Will change so that only ignites slime blocks if you poured gel over them, so it must be intentional, or one must be fairly stupid.

Frostburn, main concern here is that I'm not entirely sure how to let the player put out frostburn. (And I only now realized that frost arrows are made from ice torches... crud.) Any suggestions would be nice, short of blasting lava at an already burning building.

What.
The F***.

I cannot express my shock to HOW F***ING AMAZING THIS WOULD BE.

"Fire started! It started! eh heh heh! Burn, BURN! BUURRN!!!"
-Red Link, Four Swords at Camp

That quote is this in a nutshell.
Essentially, F*** YES I WANT THIS.
SUPPORT!
peace-sign-of-approval2-png.138222

Blocks wouldn't "burn down" per se, they would become hazards, but would not in themselves be destroyed. I'll edit it so that fires go out and cannot be reignited for a certain amount of time.

Will change so that only ignites slime blocks if you poured gel over them, so it must be intentional, or one must be fairly stupid.

Frostburn, main concern here is that I'm not entirely sure how to let the player put out frostburn. (And I only now realized that frost arrows are made from ice torches... crud.) Any suggestions would be nice, short of blasting lava at an already burning building.

Oh, the blocks don't burn down and get destroyed? Well in that case, I have no issues with it.

As for putting out frostburn... maybe just make the water gun do it? It doesn't necessarily make sense since you can't put the debuff out with water, but that's the best solution I can see.

Oh, the blocks don't burn down and get destroyed? Well in that case, I have no issues with it.

As for putting out frostburn... maybe just make the water gun do it? It doesn't necessarily make sense since you can't put the debuff out with water, but that's the best solution I can see.
Yeah, I guess... My first reaction was to have a hot water gun but at this point, too many water guns.

Back
Top Bottom