PC First time attempting to start a multiplayer game

Catnose

Terrarian
Hi. I've never played Terraria multiplayer (but have played singleplayer a lot), and my friend who wants to try the game, has never even played Terraria.

So my question is, since I just want to test setting up the multiplayer thing. I will be hosting. We create a character from scratch, and world from scracth ( we have no existing worlds or character). When clicking Multiplayer from the menu, should I select join & host or select Join via Steam? I clicked join & Host. After it I selected a character and my new large world. Large and non expert. Now the game asks, should I select Steam Multiplayer. Should I enable or disable it. I put the server as invite only and friends can invite off - we are just testing this for a moment and are prepared the delete the chars and worlds later and start from scratch. Should I use Steam multiplayer setting, what does it mean? Later I might want more players than just him, on a new world.

We are both on Steam of course though, and we have PCs. Version 1.3.1.1.

I appreciate if anyone helps.

I got a good answer for Leinfors for this question. We use Steam. Just in case someone else is wondering about this, I can paste the two answers Leinfors told me, if Leinfors gives me permission to do so. Is it okay Leinfors?

Hi. I've never played Terraria multiplayer (but have played singleplayer a lot), and my friend who wants to try the game, has never even played Terraria.

So my question is, since I just want to test setting up the multiplayer thing. I will be hosting. We create a character from scratch, and world from scracth ( we have no existing worlds or character). When clicking Multiplayer from the menu, should I select join & host or select Join via Steam? I clicked join & Host. After it I selected a character and my new large world. Large and non expert. Now the game asks, should I select Steam Multiplayer. Should I enable or disable it. I put the server as invite only and friends can invite off - we are just testing this for a moment and are prepared the delete the chars and worlds later and start from scratch. Should I use Steam multiplayer setting, what does it mean? Later I might want more players than just him, on a new world.

We are both on Steam of course though, and we have PCs. Version 1.3.1.1.

I appreciate if anyone helps.
It depends on if those settings are what you want them to be. Personally use Multiplayer not with steam. So that way people can join via IP and i don't get invaded.

It depends on if those settings are what you want them to be. Personally use Multiplayer not with steam. So that way people can join via IP and i don't get invaded.
You can protect the game with password in Steam, and set the game so that all players must be invited to game, they can't join without an invitation and not knowing the password.

Gotta tell you people, we certainly had a LOT of fun. He had never played Terraria so I taught him, and I had never played multiplayer Terraria. Started during the evening, and we played the whole night, until around 09:10 am tday. Even then we would not have stopped, but my friend fell asleep in the middle of the game! So I waited a while and tried to yell to the microphone, but got no answer. Only later he told me he fell asleep. He even said maybe we should play some more, but he only had very little sleep. I said it's time to sleep now and rest. Let's not be gaming junkies :).

And no, I don't usually play THAT much at a time.

Back
Top Bottom