Fishbrick's Frost Legion Stuff

fishbrick

Terrarian
Most of us are aware of the Frost Legion. A group of 3 snowman enemies (and the unused dynamite one) who are summoned by a snowglobe and come to ravage the lands. I think it's not an uncommon thought that the event is pretty bland, it's outshined by the Frost Moon and it's barely been changed since its introduction. That's what this post is about.

This is my first forum post here and I'm not familiar to forums in general, so bear with me. I've been working on making a few new enemies and some new content for the event, to spice it up a bit. Yes I know other people have made concepts for additions to the Legion but I'm doing my own. Without further ado, here's what I've got so far:

Enemies

Whammo Snowman
1638903389864.png

"A multiple-time winner of Snowman Town's Boxing Championship, this frosty foe is no easy fight."

This enemy's a semi-common one, who's got a few different attacks up his metaphorical sleeves. Between other moves he'll hop back and forth, attempting melee hits and jumping back afterwards. Like the other snowmen, he also moves by jumping.
Periodically and more often when at lower health, he'll put his gloves up in a blocking pose. This attack isn't like the Biome Mimics, when blocking the Whammo Snowman still moves around, but more slowly and without attempting to ram as much. During this he's also not immune to damage, it's just heavily reduced.
1638904064929.png

As his signature attack, he'll become stationary, and switch to a new animation where he winds up his fist and punches, with his arm stretching out to hit the player. It's done by a chain kind of like how flails work and extends out a good distance before returning back. This attack can't go through blocks, and is done more often when the Whammo Snowman can't reach the player.
I've done a gif recreation of it here; I'm going to touch it up at some point. In-game it'd extend out farther than that if needed and would be faster, especially in Expert and Master difficulties.
punchygif.gif

"Why I oughta- pow!"

They have a chance to drop their WHAMMO Gloves as well as a chance to drop their belt if that isn't sold by the Clothier like the Gangsta and Balla hats.

Festive Boxer
1638904766788.png

"A boxer enthralled by the holiday spirit! He's wrapped in colorful lights and is intent on punching yours out."

This one is more of a side enemy. I imagined he'd spawn if the event is happening during a Frost Moon, but that doesn't make much sense so maybe it's only during a few days around Christmas. Generally, he's mainly just a light-up version of the Whammo Snowman. The behavior is the same, other than a trade-off like higher speed but without a blocking move, or something of the sort.
I just like the "punch your lights out" line.

They most likely drop the same things as their non-festive counterpart.

Snowlotov Tosser
1638905392977.png

"A battle-hardened snowman wielding a freezing concoction perfect for soaking the holidays and freezing the toes off anyone who opposes him."

Snowlotov Tossers are a ranged enemy, who throws a projectile with shorter distance and with less frequency than the Snow Balla's attack but with far more danger. They act similar to the existing Molotov Cocktail weapon, but with a larger spread and of course higher damage. They inflict Frostburn on hit and, in Expert and Master worlds, Chilled as well.
1638906026828.png

Of course, since it wouldn't be much fun otherwise, when defeated they drop a few of their own weapon.

Exploding Snowman
1638906334840.png

"Something something explosive personality joke, this snowman's got exploding on the mind and the means to do it."
For those of you who don't know, this is an unused enemy found in the game files. I think it'd be fine to include it in an update as an uncommon kamikaze enemy if it doesn't blow up blocks, and instead deals very high damage when exploding and maybe puts snow on the ground (just to make it at least a little annoying to clean up.)

They'd probably drop regular dynamite, or if not some new kind that freezes things or places snow, in which case that would be in its head instead.

Blood Snowman
1638906932779.png

"They say don't touch yellow snow, but this time the snow's red- and it's coming after you!"
Another minor enemy, who in the original concept would spawn when the event and a blood moon overlapped but I have a bigger WIP plan for him now. They're a melee enemy who gets faster either the lower their health is, or the closer they are to the player. Blood Snowmen have a large health pool but are easy enough with ranged weapons.

Machinegun Frosty (boss)
1638907466316.png

"The leader of the Frost Legion. He's no jolly, happy soul, and he's dreaming of a red Christmas!"

Yea, a boss enemy! The original concept was provided by a friend for me to revamp and work with, and the reindeer is based on the mount. Pictured is his second phase, wherein he's "on foot." The first phase is a heavy work in progress, but in that Frosty would pilot a sleigh (most definitely Santa's stolen sleigh) and attack the player from above.
image (10) (1).gif

First Phase
In the first phase, Frosty tries to stay above the player and flies back and forth in a wavy motion while ambient snowflake particles fall from the sleigh, firing waves of bullets and periodically a wide spread aimed loosely towards the player, between different attacks.
The first attack has him fly farther to the left or right and do a sweep over the player while dropping either presents that land on the ground and explode or wait and explode after a while or when a player comes in contact with them. Alternatively, they could do a few random things when exploding, like spawning bunnies, bombs, or shooting out a bunch of bullets.
In the second attack moves similar to the first but has Frosty drop a few parachuting snowmen onto the player.
For the third, Frosty rides across the screen in a different fashion, moving as if he was jumping midair and making a sleigh bell jingle sound. Instead of the regular ambient particles, large, hazardous snowflakes drop from the sleigh and fall, dealing heavy damage and shattering on impact with the ground.
If the player tries to get above with or level with the boss, he'll dash through them and ram, which deals a lot of contact damage so it's not advisable.
Second Phase
After the sleigh takes enough damage, Frosty hops out as it careens towards the ground and explodes, which is dangerous but usually doesn't hit the player since it falls off-screen. He lands and enters the second phase, pictured above. On foot he's very nimble and hops around and is able to dash while attacking, making him hard to hit. He still wields his gun, which fires loose bullets as well as wide spreads.
1638909135587.png

Periodically, the boss takes out some Snowlotovs of his own and throws them in high quantities, far towards the player as well as around the area more loosely, making the ground hazardous.
In both phases in Expert and Master mode, Frosty's bullets have a chance to inflict chilled on hit.

When defeated Frosty drops some Snowlotovs, and may drop his gun, the Winter Spirit. He also can drop his hat, as well as of course the base boss drops like the trophy, treasure bag, and others.

Items
Most, if not all of the enemies drop snow like the existing Legion enemies do. They're made of it.
Item sprites are still a work in progress, but I'll have sprites for all of them at some point.

Boxer(s)

From the Whammo Snowman and their more festive variant, the player can obtain the WHAMMO Gloves, and the Champion Belt. The gloves are able to be used as a weapon or can be worn as vanity, in which case they just appear as boxing gloves on the player sprite. When used in weapon form, they will only appear on the player when they're selected as the held item. WHAMMO Gloves can be used as a short range and high damage attack, as well as to block/parry similar to the Sargeant United Shield and Brand of the Inferno, but without the Striking Moment buff (maybe.) They of course have the wind-up punch, where the player charges up the punch and releases, which fires out the boxing glove on a long cord rather than stretching the player's arm out. Depending on how long the charge time is, the attack shoots out further and does more damage.
The other drop is far less complicated; the Champion Belt is an accessory which gives the player the same belt the enemy wears. It provides a boost to melee speed and crit chance. Alternatively it could be vanity and sold by the Clothier.

Snowlotov Tosser
1638906026828.png

As mentioned earlier, Snowlotov Tossers drop a few of their own weapon, the Snowlotov Cocktail, when defeated. It acts like the enemy's projectile does, inflicting Frostburn on hit. It'd be a great weapon to use against the snowmen due to them mostly being confined to the ground, except they're immune to it for the most part.
Like some of the other snowmen, the Clothier sells their beret as a vanity item after the event is defeated.

Machinegun Frosty

Being a boss, Frosty has a few valuable drops. These include his gun the Winter Spirit, the Old Silk Hat, and of course depending on the difficulty his Treasure Bag, Trophy, and Relic. Also dropped are some regular Snowlotovs.

The Winter Spirit is a rather quick gun, which along with each bullet fires a stream of a few snowflakes behind it, which eventually fall to the ground. The damage of these scales depending on the damage of the bullet. Snowflakes behind Chlorophyte bullets will follow the bullet for a short distance rather than simply falling. It also makes a faint sleigh bell sound when fired.
In the original concept/as an alternative, it can play as an early-hardmode rapid fire gun, like the Minishark and Gatligator. However, bullets fired will additionally inflict chilled on hit, to slow down enemies.

Frosty's hat is an accessory that, when worn, creates ambient snowflakes that fade in around the player and fall to the ground. Its tooltip is "There must be some magic in it." It functions as his mask.

As a boss, Frosty has a Treasure Bag in Expert mode, and a Trophy which features his scarf and a snow globe, representing both Frosty and the Frost Legion itself. Frosty's Relic has him riding in the sleigh with snowflakes trailing underneath it.

All Enemies

Every enemy in the Frost Legion has a chance to drop the Snow Angel Staff, a summon weapon. It differs from other summon weapons in that instead of the minion attacking enemies, it will provide a small defense boost to the player.
In multiplayer it can be used on another player to follow them and give them a small defense boost instead (with a maximum limit of how many Snow Angels can be following them at one time), so this would be good for scenarios where the Paladin's Shield is used. This'd add some variety by making players think of how many attack minions they want versus how many defense minions and add a little extra defense to the summoner class.
The concept for this was created by Amaro.

All 3 pieces of the Snowman Set can drop from the enemies, which is a vanity outfit that gives the player the body of a snowman and a mock snowman head. There's not really a way to look like one, so this would be useful in that regard. The look can be completed with the Old Silk Hat.

Any feedback is welcome, but keep in mind some stuff is still WIP. What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom