Fishing Farm for 1.4!

For any interested in dungeon pools:

1) the backwall behind the player must be naturally placed other than dirt (confirmed).
2) they must be below -3 depth
3) there must be 250 NATURALLY PLACED dungeon bricks within sight.

Finally found a dungeon within 25 blocks of the ocean and removed all blocks only to be discouraged when replacing them did not cause the dungeon music to play.

1) the backwall behind the player must be naturally placed other than dirt (confirmed).

Finally found a dungeon within 25 blocks of the ocean and removed all blocks only to be discouraged when replacing them did not cause the dungeon music to play.
Are you saying that the walls do not have to be dungeon walls? That any naturally placed walls, other than dirt, will work?

Are you saying that the walls do not have to be dungeon walls? That any naturally placed walls, other than dirt, will work?

Yes, but due to dungeon bricks needing to be naturally placed, the best chance to see this is finding a marble or granite biome overlapping a dungeon or a dungeon that goes to lava level and is near obsidian walls.

(The obsidian one was the one I found)

Note that while music will change the limits of dungeon mobs remain: only spawning on dungeon bricks (naturally or manually placed in this case) while post-plantera still require naturally placed dungeon walls on the spawn location.

Yes, but due to dungeon bricks needing to be naturally placed, the best chance to see this is finding a marble or granite biome overlapping a dungeon or a dungeon that goes to lava level and is near obsidian walls.

(The obsidian one was the one I found)

Note that while music will change the limits of dungeon mobs remain: only spawning on dungeon bricks (naturally or manually placed in this case) while post-plantera still require naturally placed dungeon walls on the spawn location.
Interesting. I ask because i'm pretty sure before 1.4, the player had to be standing in front of naturally placed dungeon walls for fishing dungeon loot. Good to know though, and thanks for the response.

So, I did a bit of a retweak to the design.

URkUyBY.png

now featuring a teleporter to a sky lake!

I built it just behind the dungeon so I can head to the dungeon to get crates from there, and also a nearby pylon outside the dungeon to get back from using my Magical Conch Shell to go to ocean fishing.

This is awesome!

I appreciate that this guide was written with pre-hardmode in mind. (After all, quest fishing is more efficient in pre-HM if you stock up on quest fish!) I honestly don't find fishing all that fun, but with this farm, it is exceptionally straightforward!

Here's my build, copied exactly from the original post. I just finished it, and it's not too pretty, but it works! Pearlstone will be added after WoF.

TerraFishFarm.png

After stitching this screenshot together, I made an Angler house and hooked him up with the town cat so that they could enable the mushroom pylon, which I placed on the mushroom biome platform. I set up 16 chests: 10 for quest fish of various biomes, and 6 for all other fishing stuff. I also added a bed so I could quickly pass time after finishing a quest, allowing me to start the next one after I AFK for a few minutes.

Miscellaneous notes...
1. I'm not sure why Beartopus's ruler begins measuring a block below their character's feet. My ruler starts on the same elevation as my character's feet. Maybe this is because of updates to 1.4 (but the wiki page Ruler shows no recent changes to Ruler). I was able to match up my ruler with the screenshots by standing one block lower than instructed.

2. Biome torch swap works when I stand on my snow chunk, but not on my sand chunk.
1. Can't hardmode players place 140 Lihzahrd Bricks instead? If they're available, they could save a little effort since the platforms and seeds aren't a concern. For those of us who didn't replace the walls, using LBs apparently prevents jungle enemies from spawning, which could be useful.

2. The symmetry-obsessed can add another 3 blocks to the short end of Corruption/Crimson, right? This won't mess with any biome requirements?

3. Is the 3-block (versus 6-block) spread prevention gap sufficient because thorny bushes only grow from grass?
1. Materials list: mud blocks requirement would be better listed as 242, not 240. (2 additional mud blocks are used in Step 11.)

2. Instructions could be simpler for snow/sand. The first platform for the snow chunk is 3x7 from the lower left corner of the honey reservoir. (But this assumes the original design for the reservoirs is followed, and some players will make alterations.)

3. It's easier to build approximately five blocks left of jungle to start hallow chunk rather than builing 55 blocks upward. They are the same elevation, after all.

Luck can boost fishing power. Does anyone know how biome torches could be integrated? Would it help to place biome torches on their respective platforms?

Also, I would be very interested to see this converted to also function as a mob farm! Maybe I will try putting a lava pyramid on top and walls below. With a few alterations, this could be used to farm many (perhaps even a majority) of the game's mobs.

Last edited:
@noahgambles Looks good to me!

As to your notes:
1 - That ruler issue is really odd, I hope it doesn't mess too many folks up :sigh:
2 - Torch swap works for me on every platform... are you too close to the ocean or dungeon maybe?
1 - Lihzahrd should indeed work fine... if you wait that long into the game to make the farm. Mud was used with early game in mind :)
2 - If you mean on the outside of the chunk (with respect to the middle of the farm), then yeah but the biome will now extend past the end of the platform in the farm itself.
3 - You're right, no grass = no thorns:)
1 - If nothing else this project has proven to me that I'm REALLY bad at counting
2 - You're right, but the size of the honey and lava reservoirs could be much smaller, and I anticipated that some folks may want to change them, so I measured from the platforms.
3 - Again, true. I actually considered doing this, but in the end, I thought about it and... if every chunk is measured from the platforms, then an error only means messing up one chunk. If players were measuring from the chunks they already placed, they might ruin EVERY chunk after messing one up. Measuring from the platforms every time was my attempt to get players to minimize errors and pain, even though it is a bit harder to do <3

Last edited:
So, I did a bit of a retweak to the design.

URkUyBY.png

now featuring a teleporter to a sky lake!

I built it just behind the dungeon so I can head to the dungeon to get crates from there, and also a nearby pylon outside the dungeon to get back from using my Magical Conch Shell to go to ocean fishing.
I love this! I might actually modify mine to include your sky platform teleporter. So clean :)

I'm building a fishing hub of my own, and the dungeon lake spawns alchemy tables, but not dungeon/stockade crates. Is there a different requirement between the two items, despite being of the same biome?

I'm building a fishing hub of my own, and the dungeon lake spawns alchemy tables, but not dungeon/stockade crates. Is there a different requirement between the two items, despite being of the same biome?
“It is also possible to infect the surroundings with Hallow, Corruption or Crimson for a similar effect, but you will no longer be able to catch Dungeon Crates in that case.”

My guess is that your pool is layered with a second biome, thus you are getting a different crate than the Dungeon Crate. If that isnt the issue, then 🤷‍♀️ `:sigh:

“It is also possible to infect the surroundings with Hallow, Corruption or Crimson for a similar effect, but you will no longer be able to catch Dungeon Crates in that case.”

My guess is that your pool is layered with a second biome, thus you are getting a different crate than the Dungeon Crate. If that isnt the issue, then 🤷‍♀️ `:sigh:
I actually solved it; the wiki says I needed at least 200ish natural dungeon bricks too, so I pasted some in using TEdit.

I actually solved it; the wiki says I needed at least 200ish natural dungeon bricks too, so I pasted some in using TEdit.

I see, since you had quoted my message i didnt think that could be the issue you were having. Good to know everything’s fine now!

Just decided to make this real quick with measurements before I attempt to recreate it if anyone wants to use it for their own.. Awesome design by the way!
Terraria Biome Fishing Pond Dimensions.jpg

I love this! I copied a schematic from your Master world and put one at surface/underground level and one at underground/cavern level. After a little research, looks like none of the below surface fishing quests are strictly underground, meaning the one at surface/underground level should be enough for all quests. Oops, lol. Also, don't know if your Master world is a main world to you, but I'd consider putting pressure plates on your teleporters so that you can jump on and pop back to your main base.

Back
Top Bottom