Fishing Farm for 1.4!

Thought so, been trying to use this method to incorporate the ocean biome into the complex, but the people on 1.4 ran into trouble with Ocean Crates taking priority over other crates in all fishing spots it includes (in PapaBear’s hybrid pool design).

I myself did not had that problem due to being in 1.3.5 on Switch thus Ocean Crates not existing, but I do want to eventually see an updated one for when 1.4 eventually arrives.

Btw: how about switching Forest with Hallow in position? Make Hallow negated by jumping then incorporating Crimson and Corruption on top? With Hallow at the bottom, there is no need to place a biome block above due to not needing to move below, which also means that Corruption and Crimson wont need additional biome blocks to function.

@mememan Oh wow, sorry that's a bummer, I'll add a warning to not build the farm near the ocean until we understand how biome detection works over there...

@NeoPhantom Yep, that's the most requested change and what you suggested is the best way to do it. Would also need to add bottom-bounding blocks for the jungle and shroom biomes.

I made an account here just to say thank you, this design is amazing!

I built two of these in my most corrupt/hallow world, one for surface/underground fishing, and one for underground/cavern fishing (with the honey/lava only on the latter), then incorporated the suggestion in this thread about how to get both evil biomes in play. Many thanks! I'm churning through fishing quests now!

Hey, just wanted to say I love this fishing farm - really cool use of biome mechanics.

Having one issue though, my middle bottom stays desert and my upper right stays hallow.

Removing a single hallow brick prevents the hallow biome from appearing anywhere in the farm and allows the jungle to appear top right, but placing that brick back removes the jungle and only hallow appears.

Any ideas?

Post a picture with the ruler On.

Its likely a problem with placements

Is there an easy way to post a picture of the full farm, I obviously can't fit it in 1 screen and I don't have sniper rifle just binoculars.

If you had to guess, which one would be out of place? Jungle or hallow or sand?

Given that Hallow is overpowering Jungle, if you placed the biomes as in this guide, then most likely its the Hallow.

Given that Hallow is overpowering Jungle, if you placed the biomes as in this guide, then most likely its the Hallow.
So if I moved hallow to the left, more towards the mushroom biome, would that allow jungle to more easily hit the top right platform?

Would adding more jungle also have the intended effect?

Use the in-game snapshot features (near the housing menu) to quickly take a pic of the whole setup, you can drag the picture frame edges to cover the whole farm.

I couldn't figure out how to get the ruler in there, but...
-the snow/sand are evenly spaced w/ 6 tiles on each side
-there is 4-gaps of space on top of the farm
-the corruption is not evenly spaced, but the guide mentioned that wasn't too important and the vertical-align is correct
-there is a 3-gap-vertical-space between corruption and mushroom/jungle biomes

the problem is that the top right isn't jungle, it's hallow, and the middle bottom is desert, as well as bottom right.
fish farm.png

@carc0sa thanks, and yeah I don't know if it's possible to get the ruler in there with the big snapshots.

Pretty sure I can see what happened - your pools are narrower than mine, and that has caused your sand and snow chunks to be too far inward by (what looks like) 4 blocks each.
My pools each have 17 platforms across (for a total width of 19 if you count both sides too)

The far left edge of the snow should line up with the far left edge of the mushroom chunk. Same on the right, far right edge of the sand should line up with the far right edge of the jungle. It looks like yours are off by three or four blocks, so if you move snow 3 or 4 blocks left and sand 3 or 4 blocks right (whatever causes the outer edges to line up) I think that'll fix 'er up :)

The hallow issues/etc were caused by the bounding blocks over the sand/snow being too close to the platforms ;)

Last edited:
@carc0sa thanks, and yeah I don't know if it's possible to get the ruler in there with the big snapshots.

Pretty sure I can see what happened - your pools are narrower than mine, and that has caused your sand and snow chunks to be too far inward by (what looks like) 4 blocks each.
My pools each have 17 platforms across (for a total width of 19 if you count both sides too)

The far left edge of the snow should line up with the far left edge of the mushroom chunk. Same on the right, far right edge of the sand should line up with the far right edge of the jungle. It looks like yours are off by three or four blocks, so if you move snow 3 or 4 blocks left and sand 3 or 4 blocks right (whatever causes the outer edges to line up) I think that'll fix 'er up :)

The hallow issues/etc were caused by the bounding blocks over the sand/snow being too close to the platforms ;)

Awesome! I'll try this out right now.

--edit: Lined up the snow/sand biomes and it works. Thank you!

Last edited:
I made the corruption only appear in a thin strip at the height of the corruption platform (and I think a few blocks above). I am pre-hardmode, so I'm not sure if this will affect the hallowed biom at all, but it works with all the other bioms. All I did was remove the top layer of the evil biom so that it was just two thin, then I placed half of those blocks (72) towards the centre up 8 from the platform connecting the snow and desert bioms. Also as you can see I haven't placed in my liquids yet, so that could end up being a problem. I won't be hard mode for some time so if anyone wants to test something like this in hardmode and with the liquids that'd be cool.
1592466657647.png

Just did some reading up on artificial bioms, my setup will not work with the hallowed biom. However I think if you add a layer of hallowed ontop of the 3 thick evil biom it should stop the evil biom from being above (your base etc). Hopefully this works, needs testing to confirm.

Great design! Works like a charm. One tiny thing about the tutorial: In step 5 you mention that you need 62 blocks to reach the snow chunk. You actually just have to build 33 block to the left and then an additional 28 blocks down (resulting in a 33x29 shape). Which adds up to 61 Blocks. Might confuse some people.

I got slightly annoyed by random bloodmoons, because I couldn't keep fishing due to Zombie Mermans and Wandering Eye Fishes. This was especially annoying after using fishing potions. So I came up with this quick addition to your design. It works like this:
  1. The fishing rod can be cast towards the right side through the hoiked walls.
  2. The bloodmoon monsters spawn inside the blocks above the water and get hoiked upwards.
  3. Mobs continue to be funneled to a killing chamber.
It's certainly not perfect but I thought I should post it here, because I didn't find any designs for a semi-automatic pre-hardmode bloodmoon fish farm.

merman_on_hook.jpg

That's an awesome addition! I honestly didn't know you could hoik the bobber like that. Great way to farm the pre-hm bloodmoon mobs. Kudos :)

It should be possible to build this with hammered slabs, so you could build something like this as soon as you find lava. It's rather useless in hardmode though, since you still have to fight the Dreadnautilus etc.

Back
Top Bottom