Fishing Farm for 1.4!

While attempting to build the two-evils version proposed by @vizune, I found that the corruption blocks must be above the crimson blocks. I'm guessing that if the biome could be one or the other, corruption wins the tie. I originally built with corruption on bottom and crimson on top, but both the "evil" platforms ended up corruption. Once I swapped them, it worked as expected.

@Razengan @Chainsawer69 @RamblingPeregrin @NeoPhantom @RhaizWain @Sephiroth @vizune @TeamFluff Whelp, I had some time today and I was able to get it working with both corruption AND crimson. Still need to finish all the testing. I'll work on making a (shorter) guide for this when I have time... but for now if you want to see it here's the .wld: MASTER.wld
v2.png

Last edited:
Nice! Only thing that confuses me is that the Tinkerer and Mechanic are there instead of the Angler, but thats not really a gripe to have over the farm itself.

Now to try and add the ocean... testing proves it difficult...

Hey all, I just made an account to thank @Beartopus and all others that have been contributing to the complex fishing biome craziness. I love the fishing in this game, but am not an expert on artificial biome creation, so it helps a TON. On that note, I copied @Beartopus's second version(the one just recently posted including both evil biomes) and placed it at the transition of my Eastern ocean biome. It appears to function properly for each biome, though the desert biome is a bit odd. In order for it to work, I swapped the positioning of the sand blocks and the snow blocks as it seems the snow biome is unaffected by the weird ocean biome interference. I tested it by catching each biome crate to make sure it is functioning properly. There is some overlap with the regular catches from the snow biome and ocean biome, but it doesn't seem to cancel out any biome specific catches. I'll attatch a completed build screenshot to this post soon or later tonight if I have time to make it pretty and clear before work.

Again, thanks to all who have helped figure out the maths for these wonderful builds.

UPDATE: Okay so I've got a baseline structure set up and it looks all right. There aren't any measurement lines around the complex yet(for easy reference), but it is functional for every surface level quest catch and crate catch so hopefully that helps. I am also missing the honey and lava pools because I am a scrub with no steampunk npc yet. @Kisk The pylon in this image is placed as far from the edge of the map as possible, while still being in the active ocean biome. Standing with the character model filling the left side of the pylon places the character at 7642' and the edge of my world is at 8314' so after doing the maths that should be 336 blocks(feel free to double check). I am in a large world. If anybody has any suggestions or tips please let me know!

**Note: The change in background scenery/music and the edge of pylon functionality appear to happen at the exact same distance from the edge of world. Further testing on different worlds may be needed for confirmation, but it seems logical for the ocean biome to act this way.

Capture 2020-06-25 18_29_08.png

Last edited:
Huh, the reported problem was indeed with Desert biome... if its exclusive to it, it should be possible to make a pure ocean spot by swapping snow and sand and making the complex with the snow at the border. With proper block placement, the snow can be controlled to not combine with the ocean...

@Jerykal I'd have one request for you for when you post your fishing complex please
could you find the edge where your ocean biome pylon changes from inactive to active as I showed in PapaBear's fishing complex thread?

when I was doing my edge testing one of the things I found most intriguing was that the oasis plants would grow (I had my time sped up) and then would be auto destroyed when the game (I assume) made the ocean area check which leads me to beleive that the ocean redefines the sand blocks inside its area somehow

It would make sense... Sand with over five tiles of water above is what is needed to spawn ocean mobs after all.

Last edited:
@Kisk I'll do my best to include the pylon placement marker for you, it might take me a tad bit longer as I don't have any endgame characters(for 1.4) or worlds yet, but I'll do what I can! I think you are 100% right about the ocean area check. While I was testing for crate drops in the "ocean" pool it would occasionally yield bass. It probably has something to do with the placement of the pool, but adding 80 more blocks of water on the western* edge seems to have fixed the inconsistency of catches between ocean and surface fish.
*FIX: Eastern edge...I am bad at directions.

Last edited:
Is the Mushroom Biome correct? It says on the wiki that even though it takes only 100 blocks to make a mushroom biome, the mushroom biome catch requires 200. (Although, the number on the wiki is inconsistent as well. It says 200 at one part, and 201 at another.)

Is the Mushroom Biome correct? It says on the wiki that even though it takes only 100 blocks to make a mushroom biome, the mushroom biome catch requires 200. (Although, the number on the wiki is inconsistent as well. It says 200 at one part, and 201 at another.)
I can confirm that you can catch atleast the mushroom biome quest fishes from his build

Yeah there are two different "intensities" of mushroom biome, the first at 100 (background changes a little) and the second at 200 (background changes even more). Mushroom USED to require 101 / 201 blocks for the biome, in 1.4 its been changed to 100/200. And the quest fish only requires the 100 block version, hence the design ;)

Another thing i just had to learn the hard way: Sunflowers will completely mess up the detection of crimson and corruption biomes. So if you want to use Sunflowers to build up the farm in peace and quiet you should remove them at the end... :sigh:

Another thing i just had to learn the hard way: Sunflowers will completely mess up the detection of crimson and corruption biomes. So if you want to use Sunflowers to build up the farm in peace and quiet you should remove them at the end... :sigh:

If you want peace and quiet... three NPCs and Peace Candles are better options than Sunflowers.

Good to know. I used 2 NPCs and Peace Candles but still got alot of spawns.

When 3 or more town NPCs, or the Skeleton Merchant are present nearby, no enemies will spawn. This is only valid for areas outside of the Underworld and only for normal worlds – in Expert ModeDesktop, Console, and Mobile Versions, there is still a 1/30 chance an enemy may spawn that tick. Events and bosses (and their servants) will bypass this restriction.

I am playing on Master Mode and part of the blocks were in the underworld. That may have something to do with it. I came up with another solution to the problem though:

Capture 2020-06-30 17_24_55.png

Back
Top Bottom