Game Mechanics Fishing Pole Modifers

stormconure

Duke Fishron
This idea (or an altered version of it) has been confirmed in 1.3.
Thanks to Cenx for making this happen!

Actually it got taken out due to balancing concerns... Don't worry, Cenx had good reasoning for it, it's ok...

As I said in one of my previous threads, all tools should have their own modifiers. Fishing Poles are tools too right? So why not give them some unique mods? As before, fishing poles would be reforged exactly like weapons, and would recieve random mods every time. I am not going to name specific modifiers in this thread; instead, I will give ideas on what they could actually do. Here is what I have so far:

Power: very simple. It affects fishing power, because why not?

Crate Chance: affects the chance to hook a crate. Because everybody loves crates ;)

Bait Consumption: affects the chance to consume bait on every catch, similar to the Tackle Box.

Quest Affinity: affects the chance to hook the desired Quest Fish.

Luring: (thanks to towerator for the idea) affects the chance every second to hook anything. Basically affects how often the bobber shakes.

Strength: affects chance for the line to break every time you reel in (like High Test Fishing Line).

Other ideas are appreciated! What do you think?

Last edited:
Speed: Pretty self-explaining: fish comes and bites faster.
Critical fishing chance: Chance to get two fishes rather than one. Quests are unaffected.

I wans thinking for something like "Terror of the seas" as the best modifier (A bit like Unreal/Legendary/Mythical) but that's a bit long.

Maybe:
Dragon-catching?
Illusionnal? (It would lure fishes into it...)
Antiecological? (GP doesn't approves)
Extinctionnist?

Speed: Pretty self-explaining: fish comes and bites faster.
Critical fishing chance: Chance to get two fishes rather than one. Quests are unaffected.

I wans thinking for something like "Terror of the seas" as the best modifier (A bit like Unreal/Legendary/Mythical) but that's a bit long.

Maybe:
Dragon-catching?
Illusionnal? (It would lure fishes into it...)
Antiecological? (GP doesn't approves)
Extinctionnist?
Thanks, that speed thing is a good idea. I will consider it :)

I don't, however, think "quest affinity" is a good idea. I mean, quest fishes are 1/10. That's pretty high. No need for even more of it.
Oh, and here's the possible buffs of the best mod:

+10% power
+5% crate chance
-30% bait consumption (30% of the base chance, right?)
+25% speed.

I don't, however, think "quest affinity" is a good idea. I mean, quest fishes are 1/10. That's pretty high. No need for even more of it.
Oh, and here's the possible buffs of the best mod:

+10% power
+5% crate chance
-30% bait consumption (30% of the base chance, right?)
+25% speed.
First, remember that mods can both help and hinder attributes (a mod could actually remove quest power), so it balances out more. Second, im not going to put in what the mods actually are (leaving that part to the devs), i just posted this to get the idea out there.[DOUBLEPOST=1414239275][/DOUBLEPOST]I have considered your speed idea, and decided that i will use it, but change the name to luring: rather than the fish appearing faster, every second the chance to hook one is higher. There is a small difference. (I will still credit you though)

Please add this ! Fidhing as it is now is too long ! The potion ingredients are too rare so I hope there's a +35% fishing power modifier, maybe a ruthless-like or a legendary-like. And also the hotline fishing hook is too rare. Fishing is one of the examples where too much RNG is bad. I definitely support (please don't make too low bonus percentage).

Half the time i can change the name of the thread using thread tools... Why can't i here? That misspelled word is driving me crazy...

You can only do that within one hour of making the thread. Afterwards, you need to report the OP to the moderators to rename them. Congratulations for a successful suggestion, by the way.

interesting thing about the critical fishing chance. two fish at once, i wonder how that could be explained?

WHOA HOLY COW WHAT THE HECK THIS FISH IS LIKE PREGNANT OR SOMETHING

-_-

This idea (or an altered version of it) has been confirmed in 1.3.
Thanks to Cenx for making this happen!

As I said in one of my previous threads, all tools should have their own modifiers. Fishing Poles are tools too right? So why not give them some unique mods? As before, fishing poles would be reforged exactly like weapons, and would recieve random mods every time. I am not going to name specific modifiers in this thread; instead, I will give ideas on what they could actually do. Here is what I have so far:

Power: very simple. It affects fishing power, because why not?

Crate Chance: affects the chance to hook a crate. Because everybody loves crates ;)

Bait Consumption: affects the chance to consume bait on every catch, similar to the Tackle Box.

Quest Affinity: affects the chance to hook the desired Quest Fish.

Luring: (thanks to towerator for the idea) affects the chance every second to hook anything. Basically affects how often the bobber shakes.

Strength: affects chance for the line to break every time you reel in (like High Test Fishing Line).

Other ideas are appreciated! What do you think?
YESYESYESIHASALWAYSWANTEDFISHINGMODIFIERSYAYAYAYAYAYAYA!

Back
Top Bottom