Portfolio/Multi-Topic Fixing Game Progression

SnailsAttack

Dungeon Spirit
Terraria has some fairly broken game progression. It's really easy to skip a load of tiers, most of which involve the evil biomes.

I suggest that the player should be unable to break shadow orbs with bombs or hammers less powerful than the gold/platinum tier. (55+ Hammer Power)
They should also be unable to break meteorite and obsidian using bombs.

This way, the players cannot jump straight into the meteor tier within about a half hour of gameplay.

In addition, I'd like to suggest that the guide doll should have to be craftable.

Soul_of_Flight.png

Guide Soul
Hellstone.png
x5
Bee_Wax.png
x5
Bone.png
x5
Coral.png
x5
Glowing_Mushroom.png
x5

This item appears and acts like a regular soul. It would not look like the sprite i whipped up in five minutes as shown above.
It could be crafted with 5 leather and 5 silk to create the actual guide voodoo doll.

Now I'm sure your thinking : "why the :red: should we have to go through all that effort?"
The answer is because I feel like it's important to properly progress through the game. If you miss something, it sort of takes an aspect away from it.
I know a lot of players usually skip the queen bee entirely because of how she generally doesn't affect gameplay.

Voodoo Demons would also not spawn until after the WoF has already been defeated.

If you have suggestions on how this should be changed, please tell me. Or if you think there is another part of gameplay which should be fixed.

Last edited:
Terraria has some fairly broken game progression. It's really easy to skip a load of tiers, most of which involve the evil biomes.

I suggest that the player should be unable to break shadow orbs with bombs or hammers less powerful than the gold/platinum tier. (55+ Hammer Power)
They should also be unable to break meteorite and obsidian using bombs.

This way, the players cannot jump straight into the meteor tier within about a half hour of gameplay.

In addition, I'd like to suggest that the guide doll should have to be craftable.

View attachment 153257
Guide Soul
Hellstone.png
x5
Bee_Wax.png
x5
Bone.png
x5
Coral.png
x5
Glowing_Mushroom.png
x5

This item appears and acts like a regular soul. It would not look like the sprite i whipped up in five minutes as shown above.
It could be crafted with 5 leather and 5 silk to create the actual guide voodoo doll.

Now I'm sure your thinking : "why the :red: should we have to go through all that effort?"
The answer is because I feel like it's important to properly progress through the game. If you miss something, it sort of takes an aspect away from it.
I know a lot of players usually skip the queen bee entirely because of how she generally doesn't affect gameplay.

Voodoo Demons would also not spawn until after the WoF has already been defeated.

If you have suggestions on how this should be changed, please tell me. Or if you think there is another part of gameplay which should be fixed.
I like the part of the craftable Voodoo Doll, and the rest of it is fine. I don't have anything off the top of my head to fix progression but not being able to blow up meteorite would make it a lot slower to obtain enough meteorite for all of it's crafts.

Seeing glowing mushrooms required for WoF makes me uneasy as I once went all the way to Moon Lord without ever finding a mushroom garden.. :dryadsad: (but somehow ended up finding 7 heart statues!?)

I like giving things more use but I don't think that the game should become more linear (which the game suffers with in hardmode). Rather than strengthening ores/tiles/orbs/hearts, the enemies protecting them could be buffed, that way an experienced player, with enough skill, can tier skip, rather than requiring them to accomplish easier tasks first.

Crimson seems appropriately protected, but as for Corruption, the Eater of Worlds severely needs an unnerfing. Meteor Heads as well, it's basically free equipment with how your pickaxe deals with them easily. Explosions could be reworked to deal more explosive damage the closer to the center so that they could still destroy tougher tiles but not as many as they do now.

Anyway.. while I do think progression can be patched up at parts, I don't think this is the way to do it, sorry. :(

Leather is corruption only. Maybe make it so instead you need 25 of vertebrae or rotten chunks to accomplish the same objective.

I fully support the ideas for breaking shadow orbs/crimson hearts, and meteorites/obsidian not being able to be blown up.

You’re right though, it bothers me that a player can get meteorite armor on like the 3rd night if they’re careful. And it’s set bonus is so strong, it can carry you through almost all of pre hardmode, even in expert mode. I think it would be nice if the meteorite armor maybe reduced the mana usage of the space gun or increased its damage, instead of nullifying it completely, because the space gun with infinite use is SUPER STRONG. I think if it was nerfed, it would encourage played to use other stuff.
[doublepost=1533339990,1533339842][/doublepost]Oh my gosh, I didn’t notice this was almost 2 years ago...

Back
Top Bottom