Items Fixing Skyware loot's unrenewable status

652Graystripe

Plantera
The Shiny Red Balloon and Lucky Horseshoe are examples of items that are needed to craft multiple items, while also being available only once per world. That presents a problem for those that refuse to loot other worlds, constraining their character to one land only.

Easy fix.

Shiny_Red_Balloon.png

Shiny Red Balloon
-Interchangeable with the
Balloon_Pufferfish.png
in any recipe using either of 'em
-Also dropped by
Mother_Slime.png
(2%)

Sharkron_Balloon.png

Sharkron Balloon
-Can replace the
Cloud_in_a_Balloon.png
in the
Bundle_of_Balloons.png
recipe
-Jump height nerfed by four blocks to be identical

The Balloon Pufferfish is totally listening to Gettin' Jiggy Wit It. I mean, it's a balloon with spikes.

Ciga-cigar right from Cuba-Cuba
I just bite it
It's for the look I don't light it

This solution is much easier than the Horseshoe, considering that we have an alternate balloon already available, just like with the Hermes Boots, Cloud in a Bottle and various other accessories. The only change is that now they're interchangeable in crafting as well.

Yes, I'm aware that the Sky Crate provides technical renewability for sky items; however, I don't feel like that extent of RNG is justified for someone who just wants a bundle of balloons, which isn't a game-breaking accessory by any means.

Lucky_Horseshoe.png

Lucky Horseshoe
-Now protects from Stoned damage as well
-Now dropped by
45px-Harpy.png
(1.5%)
-Now used to craft a Horseshoe Bundle of Balloons that protects from fall damage as well as giving the extra jumps/jump height
--
Lucky_Horseshoe.png
Cloud_in_a_Balloon.png
/
Sharkron_Balloon.png
Sandstorm_in_a_Balloon.png
Blizzard_in_a_Balloon.png

The reason I didn't make the recipe include the three Horseshoe Balloons is because I felt that amount of grinding transcended "fun" and went straight into "unpleasant" and "punishing" territory. I didn't do a similar change in the Bundle of Balloons recipe (which would've been the Shiny Red Balloon + the three bottle items) because it, to some extent, made the balloon items useless to obtain. Besides, the balloon is somewhat easier to find anyway, since adventuring underground or fishing is not too difficult. This all is subject to change with sufficient backlash constructive criticism.

Last edited:
I get where you are coming from, but in my opinion the new, equally RNG-based methods of acquiring these items are not preferable above fishing for Sky Crates. In the long run, when you take the 'failures' into account (i.e. any fishing loot that isn't a Sky Crate, or a Sky Crate that doesn't give you an item you want) is more profitable than grinding Mother Slimes and Vultures. Harpies might just break even, but they might be rather difficult to kill for characters for whom a Horseshoe is a viable accessory.

On the other hands, I'm not sure how I feel about taking Sky items out their biome: these items are gated due to Sky Islands requiring at least some progression to reach, let alone survive. If you take them down to a lower tier, that essentially devalues the contents of Skyware Chests and Crates in general: every slot that is a Balloon or a Horseshoe could've been 'something better', like a Starfury.

I get where you are coming from, but in my opinion the new, equally RNG-based methods of acquiring these items are not preferable above fishing for Sky Crates. In the long run, when you take the 'failures' into account (i.e. any fishing loot that isn't a Sky Crate, or a Sky Crate that doesn't give you an item you want) is more profitable than grinding Mother Slimes and Vultures. Harpies might just break even, but they might be rather difficult to kill for characters for whom a Horseshoe is a viable accessory.
From here, I'm most likely to just make a new enemy to drop the balloon in the first place. Mother Slimes really don't fit.

I don't really see the point either. I think they fixed the shortage of certain very important items very nicely through crate fishing. :)
Also, what Kazzymodus says. Having non-cloud enemies (e.g. anything but Harpies) drop these items makes it pointless to even try to get to these islands.
I didn't saw that text when I was reading it though...in fact, I still don't see the text anywhere. <_<
He spoilered it, dunno why. :p

Updated the thread a teense, kind of following @Kazzymodus here. Took the ravens and vultures off the Horseshoe's drop chance on the grounds that what goes up should come down, and I'm happier with the balloon (and by extension sharkron balloon) being the only things obtainable without going to sky islands. It's a difficult balance of segregation and availability that will likely displease somebody, but I hope it fits from a design perspective.

Back
Top Bottom