Game Mechanics Fixing the Angler's Underworld Quests/Hotline Fishing Rod

Huzbubber Tim

Ice Queen
(Note: You may not use my suggestion in any mods, as I am currently in the process of making a mod of my own that is implementing most of my suggestions. Thank you for understanding!)
I am a big fisher when I play Terraria, and love to do quests for the Angler. I only bump into one problem though. I do not have the Hotline Fishing Rod, and he keeps on asking me for fish from the underworld. This is really annoying, as I want to get more quest items, but can't. I also really like those Inferno Potions, but can't fish for the ingredients since the fishing rod is hard to get. This suggestion is pretty small, but I feel it would make fishing a much better experience for players.

I propose that the Angler will never give you any fishing quests in the underworld until you have completed 25 quests. After 25 quests, the Hotline Fishing Rod should be given to you instead of a small chance. After 25 quests have been completed, THEN it would have a 1/150 chance to be obtained.

This could help players that want to complete Angler quests complete more, and end the infuriating search for the Hotline Fishing Rod. It also allows players to fish in lava after a good amount of quests as a reward, seeing as the potion made from Flarefin Koi/Obsidifish can be quite powerful.

Thank you very much for reading my suggestion! If you have any comments or constructive criticism, please tell me! Bye!

Last edited:
it clearly says that Demonic Hellfish/Guide Voodoo fish/Hungerfish can be catched in Caverns, you don't need fishing in lava/Underworld at all.

It's unusual the Golden Fishing Rod is guaranteed but the Hotline Fishing Hook is not. Furthermore, Wiki says Hotline is hardmode only and Golden is not.
Hotline should be a guaranteed reward at X quests (regardless of hardmode), with Golden a guaranteed reward at X + Y quests. E.g. If Hotline is guaranteed at 30 quests, then Golden can be a guaranteed reward at 60 quests. Each quest thereafter can use their normal reward rates (1/150 and 1/250 respectively.)

it clearly says that Demonic Hellfish/Guide Voodoo fish/Hungerfish can be catched in Caverns, you don't need fishing in lava/Underworld at all.

Thank you for letting me know this! I must not have seen this while reading about it. Oops. But, it might still make sense if the player only got Demonic Hellfish/Guide Voodoo Fish/Hungerfish after getting the Hotline Fishing Rod, as they kind of fit the underworld/lava theme. But anyways, thanks for letting me know that!

Back
Top Bottom