Weapons & Equip Fixing the Anti-Gravity Hook.

DJFlare84

Mechanic
Just a small suggestion because I ended up dumping it in a chest after trying it out for just a bit.

As it turns out, forcably holding you away from whatever block yer grappling is exactly the opposite of what people tend to prefer their hooks to do, so... here's a very simple suggestion to help it still be the Anti-Gravity hook, but also work in a way that doesn't make it totally suck for regular grappling.

PREVIOUS IDEA

Actually, you know what? EVEN BETTER. Once you latch the hook, you can freely control your movement with the keys through the air. Pressing up/down/left/right will simply make the hook move you IN THAT DIRECTION. Of course, the distance you could extend to would be limited by the hook's own length.

That's even SIMPLER than the previous idea!

So I guess on the whole, this suggestion is to allow the gravity hook to retract and expand for less limited functionality, because forcing you to hover a specific distance away from the hook is really stupidly annoying and unhelpful for much of anything.

Last edited:
Actually? Scratch that idea. I just thought up an even BETTER one.
Once you latch the hook, you can freely control your movement with the keys through the air. Pressing up/down/left/right will simply make the hook move you IN THAT DIRECTION.

That's even SIMPLER than the previous idea!

I posted a similar idea, but it was fairly rudely shot down.

I said that one could use W and S to extend/retract the hook and one could use A and D to swing around, and people went "OH NO THAT'S TOO OVERPOWERED!"

.....sigh.

Last edited:
I posted a similar idea, but it was fairly rudely shot down.

I said that one could use W and S to extend/retract the hook and one could use A and D to swing around, and people went "OH NO THAT'S TOO OVERPOWERED!"

.....sigh.
Wait, seriously?

It was not so bad, it's just one guy. :)

Anyway, this got my support. Right now the anti-gravity hook is a pain. Grappling something and hovering in mid-air like that isn't really helpful in my opinion.

The problem with the AGH, is that 90% of the time you want to pull yourself to what you're hooking to. 10% of the time, you might actually want the AGH's unique properties to kick in.

But yet you only have 1 hook slot and you probably don't want to switch hooks in the middle of battle or some-such, but yet... it'd be difficult to predict ahead of time when you want AGH or when you want normal grapple. That's why the hook is so awkward and unwieldly to actually use.

The problem with the AGH, is that 90% of the time you want to pull yourself to what you're hooking to. 10% of the time, you might actually want the AGH's unique properties to kick in.

But yet you only have 1 hook slot and you probably don't want to switch hooks in the middle of battle or some-such, but yet... it'd be difficult to predict ahead of time when you want AGH or when you want normal grapple. That's why the hook is so awkward and unwieldly to actually use.
When I first got it, I spent a few minutes walking around like Doctor Octopus because being able to do that is really freakin' neat.

EAAARRRACHNIIIIIIIID!!!

But yeah, aside from that it quickly got old and left in my piggy bank.

Back
Top Bottom