Weapons & Equip Fixing wing dominance/Lucky horseshoe worthlessness

Do you agree with the wing changes?

• Both fixes are great.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I like the first suggestion but not the second.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I like the second suggestion but not the first.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don't think either idea works.(Please comment if so)

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

GhostEcho

Terrarian
I have a few ideas on how to balance wings not only with other accessories, but with other wings. I posted this on the other terraria forums a long while back, but I've changed it up a bit since then.

First: Balancing wings with other accessories.
At their creation wings have a duel function, that of the jet boots' flight and the lucky horseshoe. The jet boots can be stacked with wings so no problem there, but nullifying fall damage cannot stack. This makes the lucky horseshoe family worthless. As Sircomesizemeup said in another post: "Absolutely useless. Never used it, never will. As with all horseshoes, any item that forges into it goes to waste." The idea here is that wings should not prevent fall damage. You can still glide with them as much as you want, but if you don't glide before you hit the ground you will take fall damage from the last height you glided at. Thanks to ManaUser for the idea :)

I propose that wings should only protect you insomuch as they lift you, ie angel wings lift you 53 blocks, therefore you could fall 53 + the 25 normal amount totaling 78 blocks without taking fall damage. This would bring back into the picture one of the most worthless accessories: the lucky horseshoe.

As for their gliding ability, perhaps infinite gliding initially, but once you let go of it and start free falling, you cannot reopen your wings and that is where you calculate fall damage from. This would still make the horseshoe very useful, but also let the wings keep their ability as long as you are patient enough to glide all the way down.

If this is done, you could add the horseshoe to the master ninja gear to up that very rarely used interesting accessory.

Second: Balancing wings with each other.
Considering the fact the earlier game wings are fairly useless, I will propose another wing based fix. Simple really, the weaker the wings are, the better they can be tinkered. Here's a list of what I came up with:

1)
Angel_Wings.png
Angel wings tinker with
Sun_Stone.png
sun stone.
2)
Demon_Wings.png
Demon wings tinker with
Moon_Stone.png
moon stone.
3)
Fin_Wings.png
Fin wings tinker with
Moon_Shell.png
moon shell.
-
4)
Jetpack.png
Jetpack tinkers with
Extendo_Grip.png
extendo grip.
-
5)
Bee_Wings.png
Bee wings tinker with any of the
Honey_Comb.png
Bee_Cloak.png
Honey_Balloon.png
Sweetheart_Necklace.png
honeycomb variants.
6)
Butterfly_Wings.png
Butterfly wings tinker with
Charm_of_Myths.png
charm of myths
7)
Fairy_Wings.png
Fairy wings tinker with
Mana_Regeneration_Band.png
mana regeneration band
-
8)
Harpy_Wings.png
Harpy wings tinker with
Star_Cloak.png
star cloak
9)
Bone_Wings.png
Bone wings tinker with
Obsidian_Skull.png
obsidian skull
10)
Bat_Wings.png
Bat wings tinker with
Tiger_Climbing_Gear.png
tiger climbing gear
-
11)
Leaf_Wings.png
Leaf wings tinker with
Cloud_in_a_Balloon.png
cloud in a balloon
12)
Frozen_Wings.png
Frozen wings tinker with
Blizzard_in_a_Balloon.png
blizzard in a balloon(I want to say frozen shell, but obvious OP is obvious)
13)
Flame_Wings.png
Flame wings tinker with
Sandstorm_in_a_Balloon.png
sandstorm in a balloon
14)
Ghost_Wings.png
Ghost wings tinker with
Fart_in_a_Balloon.png
fart in a balloon
15)
Beetle_Wings.png
Beetle wings tinker with
Shiny_Red_Balloon.png
shiny red balloon
-
16)
Festive_Wings.png
Festive wings tinker with
Fireworks_Box.png
fireworks box and fireworks go off at the climax of your flight
17)
Hoverboard.png
Hoverboard tinkers with
Toolbox.png
toolbox
-
18)
Spooky_Wings.png
Spooky wings tinker with ?
19)
Tattered_Fairy_Wings.png
Tattered Fairy wings tinker with ?
20)
Steampunk_Wings.png
Steampunk wings tinker with
GPS.png
GPS(doesn't really matter, these wings are un-obtainable)
21)
Fishron_Wings.png
Fishron wings tinker with
High_Test_Fishing_Line.png
High Test Fishing Line - Credit where credit is due. ManaUser came up with this one...and I love it.

Maybe the ? could be single immunity items? I don't know. Those wings are just so powerful that anything added to them is overkill. Maybe a shackle. *lol*

Clearly the earlier wings have much more powerful abilities. I've thought on these item combinations for quite a while, and it seems fair to me. Feel free to offer better combinations and I'll switch em out if I agree :)

Both of these suggestions would greatly increase the likelihood of more varied accessory use, including that of the currently useless low-end wings. I would miss the overpoweredness of no fall damage, but it's just TOO powerful.

Last edited:
I believe that the better way to do this is to provide alternatives to wings. Also wings are later so they should have a better effect.

I believe that the better way to do this is to provide alternatives to wings. Also wings are later so they should have a better effect.
They do have a better effect: flight. I'm totally for wings being more powerful because later game and all, but nullifying a unique ability like no fall damage is too much. What ideas do you have as an alternative?

I see this as a needless nerf to wings.

The lucky horse shoe is a somewhat early game accessory so the effect should be out classed eventually. Or better yet it should get some tinkers.

I think there should be more boots and more bottle accessories in hard mode. I remember seeing a thread by Szgamer227 about a tornado in a bottle that was pretty cool.

Also the wings are meant to be unbalanced with eachother.

Of course no matter how much I argue I will likely not convince you.

I see this as a needless nerf to wings.

The lucky horse shoe is a somewhat early game accessory so the effect should be out classed eventually. Or better yet it should get some tinkers.

I think there should be more boots and more bottle accessories in hard mode. I remember seeing a thread by Szgamer227 about a tornado in a bottle that was pretty cool.

Also the wings are meant to be unbalanced with eachother.

Of course no matter how much I argue I will likely not convince you.
Were you to reply with a proper rebuttal I most certainly would concede, but just saying something should be out classed is fruitless. The cobalt shield is acquired at about the same time as a lucky horseshoe, but nothing replaces that. Heck, it's one of the single most used accessories. Also, any boot or bottle you add that rivals wings will not replace them, they will simply be used along with them. That's the problem with wings. There is nothing that can convince the average terrarian to use something else.

Oh, and it's not that the wings are meant to be unbalanced with each other. They just have different tiers, which I understand. The only problem is that this leads to most people having near identical accessory loadouts. Which defeats the purpose of accessory diversity. Accessories are the type of item that need differences in kind, rather than differences in scale.

I think that if the fishron wings could be tinkered, they should go with the ankh shield, becoming ankh wings. That or the bundle of balloons.

Or, the lucky horseshoe should tinker into the frostspark boots. Why wouldnt the the horseshoe be used on footwear.

Last edited:
I think that if the fishron wings could be tinkered, they should go with the ankh shield, becoming ankh wings.

Or, the lucky horseshoe should tinker into the frostspark boots. Why wouldnt the the horseshoe be used on footwear.
Well as it stands the frostspark boots, ankh shield, and fishron wings are the tree most powerful accessories in the game...I don't think they need to be anymore powerful than they already are :/

The idea of this thread is to promote diversity in accessory use, not minimize it.

I like the second suggestion, quite a bit actually. But I'm not keen on the idea of glide only working once. I'm sure many people will hate this idea too, but I would be more in favor of completely removing the fall damage immunity from wings, but keeping the glide effect as is. This would of course allow you to manually break your fall at any time, but the horseshoe would remain useful as a convenience or foolproof back-up plan.

I personally feel as though wings in their entirety are overpowered and haven't used them for about a year now as they devalue my personal game-play experience. Obviously many others love wings so I think your suggestion is a fine compromise.

I like the second suggestion, quite a bit actually. But I'm not keen on the idea of glide only working once. I'm sure many people will hate this idea too, but I would be more in favor of completely removing the fall damage immunity from wings, but keeping the glide effect as is. This would of course allow you to manually break your fall at any time, but the horseshoe would remain useful as a convenience or foolproof back-up plan.
Actually I would be ok with that nerf. It makes sense too.

That sounds perfect ^^ I was thinking of that myself back when I posted it on TO, but I thought no one would agree with it :confused: I guess I was wrong.
I personally feel as though wings in their entirety are overpowered and haven't used them for about a year now as they devalue my personal game-play experience. Obviously many others love wings so I think your suggestion is a fine compromise.
I'm with you man(except for the part where I actually use them...yeah...I like flying lol)
Actually I would be ok with that nerf. It makes sense too.
Then we agree, awesome :)

Back
Top Bottom