Flags are getting out of hand..

akaHyped

Terrarian
Almost every npc you fight drops a flag after 50 kills (150 etc) so as you could imagine for pretty much the half entire first re-playthrough of 1.3 my inventory was just flooded with flags I didn't need but didn't just want to trash them.Before it was a bit more logical where you would have to legit farm a little bit to get a flag (sometimes you get it on 1st or 2nd kill, wohoo!) but overall the system in place before was much better in my opinion and A LOT less spammy

really tho there needs to be an off button or something for the time being because this is pretty annoying!

edit: Should just delete this thread it's not going to get attention here considering it had nothing to do with general talk or suggestion IT'S GAME BREAKING.

Last edited:
I agree. If there's one thing that I hate about 1.3 it's the constant flood of useless banners in my inventory combined with those annoying messages.
"But they're not useless!"
Indeed, but I don't really want nor need more than 1.

I love the update, guys, but this was a very poor idea in my opinion. :indifferent:

I feel as if "Banner" situation needs fixing. Before it was all, "OH MY GOD I CAN'T GET A FREAKING BANNER" (RNG) to now, "OH MY GOD I HAVE TOO MANY BANNERS". I feel as if the current solution would work, with different values based on the rarity of the mob. For example, Zombies drop a banner every 250 kills, statue spawnable entities should not count towards kills, and rare entities (Like Nymphs) drop them every 20 kills. This way, exceedingly rare enemies are still able to get banners, but your inventory will not be cramped by banners anymore.

Also, this should go in either PC Talk or Suggestions, as "It's not a bug, it's a feature!"

...Does this Really go in bug reports?
I mean i've been literally getting SPAMMED with these banners and my inventories are getting full and i'm missing important loot sometimes!

SO yeah this is pretty much where it belongs
[DOUBLEPOST=1436457964,1436457923][/DOUBLEPOST]
I agree. If there's one thing that I hate about 1.3 it's the constant flood of useless banners in my inventory combined with those annoying messages.
"But they're not useless!"
Indeed, but I don't really want nor need more than 1.

I love the update, guys, but this was a very poor idea in my opinion. :indifferent:

Yeah don't want to seem ungrateful or anything xD the update is amazing i've spent the last 9 days playing it almost straight! (proly why i've noticed the flags so much lol)

GG people don't consider gamebreaking issues to be a bug lol maybe this will get fixed sometime next year thanks to certain people

If we were to make a change to just 1 drop per world I can see a lot of complaints from people with multiple builds (decoration purposes) or multiple arenas. Unfortunately I don't really see an option that makes everyone happy. It is pretty easy to just delete the duplicates. :p

If we were to make a change to just 1 drop per world I can see a lot of complaints from people with multiple builds (decoration purposes) or multiple arenas. Unfortunately I don't really see an option that makes everyone happy. It is pretty easy to just delete the duplicates. :p

Maybe...just maybe, killing 50 (or up it to 100) gives you access to buying a banner off an NPC or something similar. That way, it doesn't clutter your inventory during exploration trips and you can get as much as you want. And it is also a money sink...seeing how money is even easier to get now.

There's a tonne of banners in this game, so I don't know how that would work for one NPC, but you get the idea.

I had a slime farm. over 30,000 blue slime kills. The entire village was flooded and a banner every 30 seconds. As annoying as it was, it was absolutaly halarious to see every house have a slime banner

Many people, myself included, have given a perfect solution though: Up the kill rate for monsters that appear in great numbers.
Zombies, slimes, dungeon skellies, any creature found in invasions and the eclipse, etc. :)

You know, I think that there should be an alternate way of distributing banners. I dunno, maybe when you get a milestone kill, you can get an NPC in your town, and you talk to them to get the banners for the monster you got milestone kills from.

A bug is unintended behavior. Banners dropping is not unintended, and therefore not a bug.

Hang one banner, then just dump the rest on a merchant. I picked up 25 Angry Bones banners getting the Dungeon Slime banner. It's really not a big deal.

Is this really a problem?
Yes, i've missed a good amount of important loot since this mindless change.

"A bug is unintended behavior. Banners dropping is not unintended, and therefore not a bug."

Well i'm sure they didn't intend players on killing hundreds of different mobs within a couple hours of their re-playthrouh and powering through normal/hardmode getting invasion after invasion getting a flag for every interval of 50 or 100 kills it's really overwhelming and since they DIDN'T consider that when they added it, it is a BUG simple all I want is a way to simply disable it or go back to the way it was because it's ruining my game experience :/

Last edited:
I moved this to General Talk, because it seems to be more in the way of feedback to a designed change, rather than a bug.

Yes, i've missed a good amount of important loot since this mindless change.

"A bug is unintended behavior. Banners dropping is not unintended, and therefore not a bug."

Well i'm sure they didn't intend players on killing hundreds of different mobs within a couple hours of their re-playthrouh and powering through normal/hardmode getting invasion after invasion getting a flag for every interval of 50 or 100 kills it's really overwhelming and since they DIDN'T consider that when they added it, it is a BUG simple all I want is a way to simply disable it or go back to the way it was because it's ruining my game experience :/

It isn't a bug. The feature is intended, so it isn't a bug.

You can just put them in a chest or throw them away, it's not that it's a mindless change, it's that you're playing the game mindlessly speeding through everything.

I'm going to voice my opinion on pretty much every one of these threads. It's certainly much better than grinding for them for hours on end, and never getting a single banner. While this system may annoy some, it pleases many more, since it means much less grinding for an item that is, for the most part, decoration. It does buff you so you do additional damage towards that enemy, but considering how many of them you find in specific situations where you don't really have time to put a banner down (The Dungeon, or Underground Jungle), they're just decoration for your base.

As for them clogging up an inventory space, then throw them away if it bothers you that much. It's not an item that is tied to your character than you can never get rid of. It can be thrown away, and you generally have at least enough time to throw a banner away. If you don't have enough time to get rid of them by throwing them away, then just place them on a nearby block and forget about them.

It isn't a bug. The feature is intended, so it isn't a bug.

You can just put them in a chest or throw them away, it's not that it's a mindless change, it's that you're playing the game mindlessly speeding through everything.
You're right I mean it's not like Terraria hasn't been out for 4-5 years or anything, i'm sure everybody takes their time to dive deep into lore that everybody plays it for
[DOUBLEPOST=1436461381,1436461183][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm going to voice my opinion on pretty much every one of these threads. It's certainly much better than grinding for them for hours on end, and never getting a single banner. While this system may annoy some, it pleases many more, since it means much less grinding for an item that is, for the most part, decoration. It does buff you so you do additional damage towards that enemy, but considering how many of them you find in specific situations where you don't really have time to put a banner down (The Dungeon, or Underground Jungle), they're just decoration for your base.

As for them clogging up an inventory space, then throw them away if it bothers you that much. It's not an item that is tied to your character than you can never get rid of. It can be thrown away, and you generally have at least enough time to throw a banner away. If you don't have enough time to get rid of them by throwing them away, then just place them on a nearby block and forget about them.

Yeah I guess some people don't mind opening up their inventory every 20 seconds to shift click or to take time to find a place-able block. it may sound stupid but when you're talking about hundreds of flags it adds up.

I mean i've been literally getting SPAMMED with these banners and my inventories are getting full and i'm missing important loot sometimes!

SO yeah this is pretty much where it belongs

This isn't really a bug...

Like Matuse said... This isn't an unintended feature, and an easy way around this is trash your banners. Find a chest with loot you want? Go through your inventory and trash all the banners. Simple, and easy solution.

Its not like when you pick up a banner, its locked in its inventory slot, and you can never get rid of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom