Items Flare Gun Changes and Additions

Can I Get Uhhh

Spazmatism
There's no denying that the Flare Gun is a terrible item. Low damage, you can't control the flames, and doesn't have much uses apart from making inaccurate shots with it. I belive, I believe that there's hope for this item, so let's change it up a bit.

Feature 1: Map Markers
These things should be used to mark spots on the map. When you mouse over a flare mark on the map you may attach a note to it, it will say what player it was shot from, what time it was deployed.

Feature 2: Flares Last
Flares right now last for a short while then go out. Instead it should stay as long as you'd like, and to remove it you must right click it while holding a Flare Gun.

Feature 3: Custom Colors
20 Flares + Deep Paint of your choice = 20 Flares with the color of your choice.

Change: Flares cost 20 Copper

That will be it and thanks for reading! Criticism is appreciated.

[EDIT]: Look at the post right under this one, because do it.

Last edited:
I like the Flare Gun, actually. It's very ineffective as a combat item, obviously, but it's a quick and easy way to light up a cave or get underwater light. While the sticky glowstick can achieve both effects while emitting more light AND being retrievable after tie, the Flare Gun still holds some advantages over it, ones that I find more desirable.:
  • In combat: pierces and inflicts the "On Fire!" debuff for slight DoT.
  • Higher velocity and range - easier to shoot across a room.
  • Flares can be stacked up to 999 and can be stored in the ammo slot. This is my biggest one, over all.
  • Flares are (slightly) cheaper.
Now, about your actual suggestions:
  • I like the idea of custom flare colouring, for sure. I love anything that offers more customization, really. No complaints, here.
  • Map markers have potential, but I don't think all flares should do this. Doing so would bit to use flares for their lighting-up purpose. Perhaps a second type of flare would be better for this, to avoid having millions of map markers for people who use it that way. However, this could cause some major issues in high-density multiplayer servers; people could easily buy a stack of flares and fill the map with a thousand of map markers. That's obviously undesirable, so potential options include:
    • Base it on teams, so you can only see flares when you're on a certain team. Improvement, but not a solution.
    • Set a hard limit on a number of markers per person. Not the most desirable, but still an improvement.
    • For Steam users, show only friends' markers. Alternatively, checkboxes would work, too: Self, Friends, Team, Global.
    • Allow you to "share" your markers with others, with their approval, of course. Could also work with the above improvement.
    • Straight-up disable the feature on multiplayer. Completely fixes it, but not particularly desirable.
  • Also, "marker flares" should be more expensive than normal flares; at least a few silver coins. And receive the custom colouring option for colour-coded markers.
  • I'm not too keen about flares lasting as long as you want. I think it would be a good idea as an option for marker flares (perhaps toggle-able in the same way as the 1.3.1 Ruler and Mechanical Lens are), but I think normal flares should remain as they are, as temporary, dim torches.
  • Flares costing more, not for nor against it. 20 copper is significantly more expensive, (>70 silver for 999 to almost 2 gold) but it's still nice and cheap. Though, as I said, marker flares should be at least a couple silver coins each.
Overall, I'd say you've got some good ideas. I'd like to preserve its effectiveness as a temporary torch and avoid map marker spam, but I'd also like to see your suggestions here implemented. :)

tl;dr: Flares are best for non-combat situations. Love the idea of colouring flares. Map markers have potential, but shouldn't affect normal flares and changes are needed to avoid marker spam in public multiplayer..Instead, a "marker flare" could achieve this without interrupting their usefulness as temporary light sources. Flares persisting forever should be an option for marker flares only, leaving flares as they are. Marker flares should cost at least a couple silver, normal flare prices don't matter too much.

The flare gun was never meant to be a weapon. It's basically upgraded glowsticks. I use this item on EVERY character that I have. This item is incredibly useful for caving, the flares are cheap, and the lighting effect is really useful!

The flare gun was never meant to be a weapon. It's basically upgraded glowsticks. I use this item on EVERY character that I have. This item is incredibly useful for caving, the flares are cheap, and the lighting effect is really useful!
- I never said it was meant to be a weapon
- Flares don't last and that's a problem

- I never said it was meant to be a weapon
- Flares don't last and that's a problem
I must have misread that part then! However, the flares running out is definitely a balanced thing. It's just like glow sticks for that matter! If they lasted forever, that would be a little over powered.

Back
Top Bottom