Weapons & Equip Magical Movement (Flight Spell/Mage Class Wings?)

Aceplante

Official Terrarian
I propose a few different magic wings/flight spell for the mage class.

1: A set of magic wings that consume mana. This allows technically infinite flight (with enough mana potions) without the soaring insignia for players that dont play master mode. Perhaps the rate of mana consumption would linearly increase to balance this. This would likely be an endgame item. They could be crafted from fledgling wings and a star cloak. Edit: To prevent other classes from abusing the lack of impact of mana sickness (as it only affects magic damage), these wings would only work if you are currently wearing mage armor (or have a max mana of at least 260?)

2: A fight spell book that requires 240 mana but gives magic flight for 30 seconds. 240 means this would require both all mana crystals and at least two arcane accessories. I think late pre-hardmode would be fair?

3: A "force leap" book, that launches you upwards into the air almost instantly, about 20 blocks? Pre-hardmode, maybe obtained from dungeon shelves similar to water bolt? The dungeon has a lot of mobility options obtained in hardmode, so this would thematically fit very well.

4: A tome that, when activated, freezes you in midair for a second. Then, if you flick your cursor to somewhere else on the screen (leaving a faint dotted line in your wake), the player will quickly dash along that line when the second is up. This could also be implemented as a sword playing into the trope of ninjas being able to dash in the blink of an eye.

Last edited:
the late pre-hardmode spellbook idea is interesting.

I don't see much point in the magic wings that consume mana though, especially not if it's an endgame item. if you want infinite flight, you have many other choices that require no mana. you mentioned the soaring insignia too (by the way, I think it is expert mode and above and not master mode only), but this also applies to mounts that provide invinite flight, like the UFO, or especially the witch's broom, which even offers convenient movement through doors, since it's only 3 units tall. with such items available I see no real reason that wings that while offer infinite flight, require mana potions to maintain would be really viable. also because mana sickness.

of course, the insignia + wings combo takes up 2 equipments slots, which is a lot, but the mounts does not, so they sound like a rather strong competition to such wings.

mounts that provide invinite flight, like the UFO, or especially the witch's broom, which even offers convenient movement through doors, since it's only 3 units tall. with such items available I see no real reason that wings that while offer infinite flight, require mana potions to maintain would be really viable. also because mana sickness.
Broom is expert mode too, so not obtainable in normal playthroughs. As for the Ufo, The difference between this and the ufo is mobility. Its not just about the infinite flight part, its that you have the mobility of normal wings with the added bonus of it being for a theoretically indefinite amount of time.

Broom is expert mode too, so not obtainable in normal playthroughs. As for the Ufo, The difference between this and the ufo is mobility. Its not just about the infinite flight part, its that you have the mobility of normal wings with the added bonus of it being for a theoretically indefinite amount of time.
I suppose you have a point, still, I don't really feel there's much point in late-game wings that work like that, when there are generally more convenient options too. but that might be just my opinion.

but the late pre-hardmode idea is interesting, and could be quite useful, as the competition for it is quite meager at that point in progression. sure, fledgeling wings exist, but they have awful stats - though they do are super powerful for pre-hardmode with an agility focused build with frog leg derivates, terraspark boots, bundle of balloons, etc. - at the cost of not having much accessory slots for anything else.
so, I mean, I could see a magic tome granting temporary flight at a high mana cost be an interesting alternative.

I suppose you have a point, still, I don't really feel there's much point in late-game wings that work like that, when there are generally more convenient options too. but that might be just my opinion.
Then perhaps, it would have not very good stats and in exchange would be available much earlier. Actually yea, in retrospect, wings like these, that allow theoretically infinite flight, should not also match the stats of the best wings in the game. They could perhaps be very early hardmode/late prehardmode at the same time as this book, but again, have wing stats to match

Then perhaps, it would have not very good stats and in exchange would be available much earlier. Actually yea, in retrospect, wings like these, that allow theoretically infinite flight, should not also match the stats of the best wings in the game. They could perhaps be very early hardmode/late prehardmode at the same time as this book, but again, have wing stats to match
That could work maybe, yeah.

The problem with this is that Mages already use up a lot of mana just to attack enemies, and other classes don't use mana at all and can drink as many Magic Potions as they want, since mana sickness only affects magic damage.

Basically no matter what numbers you use here, you always end up with (Basically) infinite flight wings that are unusable for Mages. At that point, why not straight up make wings with built in infinite flight (or really long flight times) and balance those wings around that fact?

The problem with this is that Mages already use up a lot of mana just to attack enemies, and other classes don't use mana at all and can drink as many Magic Potions as they want, since mana sickness only affects magic damage.

Basically no matter what numbers you use here, you always end up with (Basically) infinite flight wings that are unusable for Mages. At that point, why not straight up make wings with built in infinite flight (or really long flight times) and balance those wings around that fact?
Indeed.

Maybe, to figure it out, we should think about the actual reason why these wings would exist in the first place.
With constantly consuming mana to maintain infinite flight, they would be really no good for mages, and also somewhat cripple other classes too, if they have to equip a mana flower (or its derivates) to maintain it without manually having to drink the potions ('cuz then they might as well just land for a sec, to reset flight time) - when they wouldn't use spells, so have no other use of the mana flower in the first place.

So, this thing sounds like a possibly rather inconvenient item indeed...

That is also why I would like to note on the tome idea from earlier there that seems got much less focus, but I could see it actually making more sense. in the late (or let's say mid) pre-hardmode, there aren't a whole lot of options for flying - although... you do can get fledgeling wings from skyware chests pre-bosses, right? so, then it might as well could be something available relatively early game, but make the recipe require some specific stuff that it still can't be just crafted right away.

Point being, it could be of a little help with looking for floating islands, ...although gravitation potion + featherfall potion / umbrella is probably still an easier way.

That is also why I would like to note on the tome idea from earlier there that seems got much less focus, but I could see it actually making more sense.
it's the same issue with the first, doesnt matter if it drains all the mana at once instead of constantly, you can get back to full mana in seconds with mana regen potion, drinking a mana potion, picking up a star from 1 enemy...

it's the same issue with the first, doesnt matter if it drains all the mana at once instead of constantly, you can get back to full mana in seconds with mana regen potion, drinking a mana potion, picking up a star from 1 enemy...
Actually I have since realized that these wings will likely ONLY be useful to the mage class, becuase they are the only ones that will be set up for prolonged mana usage with magic and arcane accessories. Other classes could, but would need to multiclass into magic for this one specific use?

Actually I have since realized that these wings will likely ONLY be useful to the mage class, becuase they are the only ones that will be set up for prolonged mana usage with magic and arcane accessories. Other classes could, but would need to multiclass into magic for this one specific use?
No it would not, @J Bame is right.
While mages would have the build to support it - if one uses mana flower, though I personally dislike it, and prefer mana regen potion and magic cuffs - the fact that it drains your mana would make it so that you either can't use the mana for attacks meanwhile, or consume even more mana potions, and if you have mana sickness stuck to -40% magic dmg, that's no fun at all when facing a late-game boss.

This is why I noted on the tome idea being a bit more viable for, now I think, mostly the sole purpose of finding floating islands. not for boss fight and the like.
that is reasonable like mid-pre-hardmode. but gravitation potion + featherfall potion / umbrella still sounds maybe better.

I don't see much reason some would use wings late-game, that basically makes you unable to fight well. even if it saves you accessory slots, but so could UFO/broom do. but they cost nothing to use.

Other classes can spam mana potions without suffering from mana sickness

It’s neat to have mana function in more ways than just weapons. However, it’s clear that your intention was to make these wings a mage orientated accessory, when it ironically best fits the other classes and is least suited for a mage. I’ve been brainstorming a few ideas so I’d like to play along with this concept.

First off, make it so that the wings are only functional when mage specific armor is equipped in all three slots. This prevents any of the other classes from taking advantage of the useless mana debuff that would apply to them.

Second, there has to be some kind of trade off that makes it worth the mana sickness debuff. Mages already burn through mana, and the added sickness only makes them worse. Perhaps extensive use of the wings makes your magic more potent in different/unique ways? Or the wings have a unique secondary affect such as teleportation every x seconds. This would need to be explored more, but as the others have said, the added mana sickness is a huge deterrence. That, and the competition these wings would have to go against is tough. Whatever the secondary affect is, it has to make the wings “worth using.”

Last edited:
It’s neat to have mana function in more ways than just weapons. However, it’s clear that your intention was to make these wings a mage orientated accessory, when it ironically best fits the other classes and is least suited for a mage. I’ve been brainstorming a few ideas so I’d like to play along with this concept.

First off, make it so that the wings are only functional when mage specific armor is equipped in all three slots. This prevents any of the other classes from taking advantage of the useless mana debuff that would apply to them.

Second, there has to be some kind of trade off that makes it worth the mana sickness debuff. Mages already burn through mana, and the added sickness only makes them worse. Perhaps extensive use of the wings makes your magic more potent in different/unique ways? Or the wings have a unique secondary affect such as teleportation every x seconds. This would need to be explored more, but as the others have said, the added mana sickness is a huge deterrence. That, and the competition these wings would have to go against is tough. Whatever the secondary affect is, it has to make the wings “worth using.”
Yea, I dont use the mana flower so I didn't realize the mana sickness debuff decreased damage. That would make it OP for any class EXCEPT mage, so I agree with the magic armor requirement. And as for making it "worth using", that is why I initially made it endgame and would likely have very good stats in addition to being theoretically infinite. That would make it very good for builders/general use etc, and the fact they provide the mobility of wings make them better than the UFO. I also agree that the inevitable mana sickness penalty makes this not very practical in boss fights, but would it not be very good in almost any other situation?

..Idea. How about the use of these wings decrease the effectiveness of the mana sickness debuff to only 30% instead of 40%? In boss fights, the mage class burns a ton of mana anyways so use of these wings, in exchange for burning mana slightly faster, make the debuff slightly less effective? ...Actually, in said boss fights, would a mage not likely have the mana sickness debuff anyways from use of all their weapons? If so, then these wings wouldn't make much of a difference, other, of course, than consuming mana potions slightly faster I guess (but again, really good wing stats). But I suppose in situations where one is trying to avoid using the mana flower so as to not gain the mana sickness debuff, the wings would be an item you would want to avoid.

Yea, I dont use the mana flower so I didn't realize the mana sickness debuff decreased damage. That would make it OP for any class EXCEPT mage, so I agree with the magic armor requirement. And as for making it "worth using", that is why I initially made it endgame and would likely have very good stats in addition to being theoretically infinite. That would make it very good for builders/general use etc, and the fact they provide the mobility of wings make them better than the UFO. I also agree that the inevitable mana sickness penalty makes this not very practical in boss fights, but would it not be very good in almost any other situation?

..Idea. How about the use of these wings decrease the effectiveness of the mana sickness debuff to only 30% instead of 40%? In boss fights, the mage class burns a ton of mana anyways so use of these wings, in exchange for burning mana slightly faster, make the debuff slightly less effective? ...Actually, in said boss fights, would a mage not likely have the mana sickness debuff anyways from use of all their weapons? If so, then these wings wouldn't make much of a difference, other, of course, than consuming mana potions slightly faster I guess (but again, really good wing stats). But I suppose in situations where one is trying to avoid using the mana flower so as to not gain the mana sickness debuff, the wings would be an item you would want to avoid.
That could work if the wings already had a base mana free flight time and you could fly infinetly with mana.

@Aceplante
what you mean by "almost any other situation" other than fights? I mean, when are we using wings?
we use it for exploring areas, for this, the only place when infinite flight time can be of use is exploring the sky/space, because there aren't many places there where you can land for at least a moment, to reset the flight timer. - when in the caverns, there's usually plenty of places to land, and even if there's lava below, you can just grapple to the ceiling or something for a sec.
for building, I don't really see invinite flight wings necessary, if you build structures where flying is necessary, landing for a sec is usually no concern (I think), and when precise placement is necessary, I don't see wings viable at all. only mounts that allow to float in one place without the need to move or push any buttons.
what other times do we use wings? where infinite flight time is useful?

also, for the mana sickness, it is -40% at its peak, but if you don't consume another mana potion, it will decrease then wear off. so, it's not a static -40%, but after the peak, it decreases to -30%, -20% etc. the only case when it's stuck to -40% is if you use magic weapons with high mana cost without stopping. for instance, maintaining the last prism for long is pretty much impossible without that. but if you use weapons that use less mana, you can easily go for other ways to regen mana, such as mana regen potion. while it does not allows non-stop spellcasting, stopping for 1-2 sec will make you regen your mana like "wroom!"

this is also part what makes me wonder, you can usually land for a sec to renew the flight timer. so I don't see much reason for infinite flight except when facing late game bosses. even there, an arena can be built in a way to have places to land.
the only battle I think I tried utilising soaring insignia was against expert moon lord, trying to keep distance and flew like from the middle of the map to one side then back. it would been more simple with broom though, but late-game wings have a bit more agility than that.

but there might be other times too when it is useful to have infinite flight time, I'm just really not sure when. so... what are the situations when it's actually useful?

finally got around to adding a third idea I had yet forgot to include! I think it would be a good idea for early game

1: A set of magic wings that consume mana. This allows technically infinite flight (with enough mana potions) without the soaring insignia for players that dont play master mode. Perhaps the rate of mana consumption would linearly increase to balance this. This would likely be an endgame item. They could be crafted from fledgling wings and a star cloak. Edit: To prevent other classes from abusing the lack of impact of mana sickness (as it only affects magic damage), these wings would only work if you are currently wearing mage armor (or have a max mana of at least 260?)
Hmm... not a bad concept. I don't actually think it's very abusable by other classes; maximizing usefulness of this would require the Mana Flower or some upgrade of it, to avoid having to constantly remember to press the Mana Potion button. Assuming it consumes mana rapidly enough (for example, 100 mana per second), you'd need to have max mana and then some to actually get better use out of it than regular wings, and in that case most players would probably rather just use the Fishron Wings or something that doesn't consume resources and has a more lenient recharge time, since you would have to wait for your mana to refill enough before flying again. But for those willing to chug Mana Potions for infinite flight, it could be very useful indeed. You could probably make it a pre-Plantera set of wings. The only thing I'll say is that the Mana Regen Potion would make this extremely overpowered. It should probably have a built-in function that disables the potion effect while you're wearing the wings.
2: A fight spell book that requires 240 mana but gives magic flight for 30 seconds. 240 means this would require both all mana crystals and at least two arcane accessories. I think late pre-hardmode would be fair?
This I don't like at all. For starters, what is "magic flight?" Does that mean you can just fly infinitely for 30 seconds? That's far too strong. Having max mana is extremely easy to do, and 2 Arcane accessories is really cheap in exchange for infinite flight, especially if you're a class that doesn't use mana. Late pre-Hardmode is absolutely not fair for this. If anything, it should be post-Golem.
3: A "force leap" book, that launches you upwards into the air almost instantly, about 20 blocks? Pre-hardmode, maybe obtained from dungeon shelves similar to water bolt? The dungeon has a lot of mobility options obtained in hardmode, so this would thematically fit very well.
I'm assuming this is a Mage item as well? How much does this cost to use? Is there a cooldown on it? Why should a player use this over a Horseshoe Balloon?

Back
Top Bottom