Items Flintlock Pistol "Rework"

Mug Not Found

Terrarian
The way it is now the Flintlock Pistol isn't usable, by the time you have it you get it you either have the Boomstick/Undertaker/Musket which all fair far better in combat compared, I think it should stay this way too (for the most part) because the Flintlock isn't supposed to be this strong replacement for other weapons like the Minishark, instead I think it should work as a powerful extreme damage weapon you're only able to use sparingly.

My suggestion for the Flintlock Pistol is that it spreads out like a shot gun blast using about 8 bullets that have a 40% of piercing enemies, each bullet dealing about 13-15 damage. To make the player use it sparingly it uses a random amount of bullets between 30-50 and can only be used once every 3 minutes, you don't have to wait for the cool down to end before being able to use something else again HOWEVER you do need to wait for the cooldown to end before using a 2nd Flintlock (to prevent players from cheesing). It wouldn't be very balanced in PvP so it would have a 90% decreased damage to other players. An additional penalty/bonus would give be to give the player a debuff of 35% decreased damage lasting 20 seconds if less than 6 bullets hit an enemy but give a buff to the player that allows the next shot of a weapon (other than the Flintlock) to do triple damage if all the bullets hit an enemy at least once. This could increase its use all the way to endgame and even give it use to other classes, possibly even warranting an upgraded version after and event like the pirate invasion.

Speaking of pirates, I came up with this idea when watching Pirates of the Caribbean when Jack said "This shot was not meant for you", so that would be a pretty good tooltip for it have.

This would be a cool idea for a shotgun, but as it is a pistol I just can’t see it making much sense.

Maybe instead you could have one high velocity, high damage, high piercing bullet with a long reload time.

@Companion Cube Even if it's a starter pistol it doesn't need to be useless, the main reason I felt it needed to be buffed is because by the time you have one you have a weapon that outclasses it. I agree that it probably shouldn't be starter and that it's price should increase to at least 30 gold but this idea was about increasing it's use long term instead of throwing it away the moment you get it. (The whole game could use ideas like that imo.)

@Companion Cube Even if it's a starter pistol it doesn't need to be useless, the main reason I felt it needed to be buffed is because by the time you have one you have a weapon that outclasses it. I agree that it probably shouldn't be starter and that it's price should increase to at least 30 gold but this idea was about increasing it's use long term instead of throwing it away the moment you get it. (The whole game could use ideas like that imo.)
While yes, it is outclassed, most weaponry isn't meant to be scaled into endgame. I agree flintlock needs a buff, but nothing so extreme. Maybe a damage and fire rate buff

You still miss my point, the reason the use of it would be drawn out to endgame would be because of the intersting synergies it could have for other weapons, most of the time you only use whatever does the most damage in terraria which can make both combat and progression get blander as you put more and more hours into Terraria. This idea lightens both of those problems, it would give reason to swap out your main weapon for a moment and do a combo while not having that combo be so weak it's hardly worth the effort. Just having it get a normao buff would be boring and doesn't fix any underlying issues.

You still miss my point, the reason the use of it would be drawn out to endgame would be because of the intersting synergies it could have for other weapons, most of the time you only use whatever does the most damage in terraria which can make both combat and progression get blander as you put more and more hours into Terraria. This idea lightens both of those problems, it would give reason to swap out your main weapon for a moment and do a combo while not having that combo be so weak it's hardly worth the effort. Just having it get a normao buff would be boring and doesn't fix any underlying issues.
We already have reasons to swap weapons. Melee has a couple different options it can use to hit things, like longer reaching weapons. Ranged has different ammo types. Magic has different spells. Summoner is summoner.

Mages have it the worst because even though there is loads of variety you still only use the best, most gettable equipment and weapons possible, melee has you switch occasionally for a longer rane weapons until you get ranged melee weapons and rangers only have you switch for a high spread weapon when your close enough and although it has ammo types your not gonna be switching often. If you give a list of weapons from f-s teir and make all the higher teir weapons the easiest to get what do you think people are gonna do? This also equates for gameplay mind you, if you have a great weapon why switch to a good one? Think of it this way, you could have some have a boom stick (or quad barrel) and a mini shark, they use the minishark a majority of the time and ocassionally use the boom stick for a closer more damaging blow (but still without much added bonus of switching), but if they had this they could make a risk of possibly screwing themselves over with the damage debuff but also they could get good damage in on a boss as it spawns by switching to the boomstick right after if manage to get the damage bonus, adding way more skill and decision making to a fight.

Back
Top Bottom