Floating Island Variations

Some journey builds, and their epic gamer lore:

Capture 2020-09-15 13_16_17.png

A fragment of the Corruption that remains from the birth of a Crimson world. Too weak to spread, too little even to send forth its progeny, it can do nothing but sit and rot as the true world evil and good clash.
Generates in Crimson worlds, allows for the acquisition of the Scourge of the Corruptor. Inspired by Calamity's evil islands.

Capture 2020-09-15 13_16_26.png

A droplet of the Crimson that persists from the birth of a Corrupt world. Too fragile to spread, too subdued even to send forth its own spawn, it can do nothing but fester as the true world evil and good clash.
Like the other one, but for Corrupt worlds.

Capture 2020-09-15 13_17_52.png

The process of Corruption is subtle at first, even unnoticeable. Often the first signs of conversion resemble a protracted autumn, though for these areas no spring waits after the winter of Corruption. It doesn't help that many find these places quite charming.

Capture 2020-09-15 13_18_51.png

The Crimson is characterized by an unnatural rotting growth, though its true form may take decades to surface. Often the first sign of an ongoing conversion is the continued growth of a dead Living Tree, as the nascent Crimson exploits its connection to the world.

This is the first island that was built from scratch. I tried to match worldgen as much as possible, and it didn't turn out too bad.

And some pre hardmode survival builds:
Capture 2020-09-15 13_23_54.png

A desert island. The lake will be filled once I finally get the endless water bucket. Cactus keeps generating in the foundations.

Capture 2020-09-15 14_18_45.png

And a copy of the autumn island build.

houseofbased.png

And to cap this image series off, here is one of my more "based" builds. Every single room is valid housing. Not actually a floating island but it might as well be one.

That's really impressive!

And indeed, islands like those could be very useful, since now it's highly encouraged to artifically introduce the opposite evil, yet if you get that key, it's useless in that world.
They also look awesome (in their evil biome charming ways, even if that's a bit of a weird thing. XD lol)

I wonder about that gorgeous autumn island having any connection to the corruption though. It is really fancy definitelly, but doesn't looks evil at all.
It's actually an interesting question to wonder about how would the corruption looked like in the past. of course when they spread now, they will just outright turn the area into corruption, but I remember I read some theories too, like if it was inspired after "the color out of space" and if it would meant that the now corrupted land used to glow in strange otherworldly but neverheless very impressive colors at some point in the past? Though that's just a theory, and the corruption as we know it just appears to be a pretty dead land with various worm-type creatures feeding on it, including feeding on the land itself.

I also wonder about if the crimson would have any connection to dead living trees...? It generally appears to bestow life upon things it captures, including the land itself. making a large visceral creature, and smaller ones following the orders of this hive-mind to consume more and grow bigger and bigger...?
Based on the title of the respective painting "deadland comes alive" questionable if the area prior looked more dead - and therefore it might could just outright "resurrect" a dead living tree too, and turn it into a living shadewood tree or something. to turn that once majestic beacon of the purity into a likewise majestic beacon of the crimson.

But while I wonder how living trees and the crimson connected, that built actually made me think about living trees that grown so big they literally reach to the clouds? I mean, that's not even impossible on small maps, but I don't think I even seen them actually pierching a floating island. that just sounds very intriguing. kind of like a gigantic beansprout from a fairytale.

The desert island looks fancy too!
And that chaos house is funny XD

That's really impressive!

And indeed, islands like those could be very useful, since now it's highly encouraged to artifically introduce the opposite evil, yet if you get that key, it's useless in that world.
They also look awesome (in their evil biome charming ways, even if that's a bit of a weird thing. XD lol)

I wonder about that gorgeous autumn island having any connection to the corruption though. It is really fancy definitelly, but doesn't looks evil at all.
It's actually an interesting question to wonder about how would the corruption looked like in the past. of course when they spread now, they will just outright turn the area into corruption, but I remember I read some theories too, like if it was inspired after "the color out of space" and if it would meant that the now corrupted land used to glow in strange otherworldly but neverheless very impressive colors at some point in the past? Though that's just a theory, and the corruption as we know it just appears to be a pretty dead land with various worm-type creatures feeding on it, including feeding on the land itself.

I also wonder about if the crimson would have any connection to dead living trees...? It generally appears to bestow life upon things it captures, including the land itself. making a large visceral creature, and smaller ones following the orders of this hive-mind to consume more and grow bigger and bigger...?
Based on the title of the respective painting "deadland comes alive" questionable if the area prior looked more dead - and therefore it might could just outright "resurrect" a dead living tree too, and turn it into a living shadewood tree or something. to turn that once majestic beacon of the purity into a likewise majestic beacon of the crimson.

But while I wonder how living trees and the crimson connected, that built actually made me think about living trees that grown so big they literally reach to the clouds? I mean, that's not even impossible on small maps, but I don't think I even seen them actually pierching a floating island. that just sounds very intriguing. kind of like a gigantic beansprout from a fairytale.

The desert island looks fancy too!
And that chaos house is funny XD

It honestly doesn't fit too well in the game world, as the evils can directly convert purity. The Corruption one is meant to represent the natural world slowly dying off (as it does in autumn), making way for the corruption, which is represented in the game lore as an area devoid of life. The Crimson one on the other hand has dead things that keep growing, sort of like the Crimson proper with its flesh monsters. At least that's my interpretation of these things.
Thanks for the reply btw, that must have taken a while to write :D

It honestly doesn't fit too well in the game world, as the evils can directly convert purity. The Corruption one is meant to represent the natural world slowly dying off (as it does in autumn), making way for the corruption, which is represented in the game lore as an area devoid of life. The Crimson one on the other hand has dead things that keep growing, sort of like the Crimson proper with its flesh monsters. At least that's my interpretation of these things.
Thanks for the reply btw, that must have taken a while to write :D
That's an interesting interpretation too. though autumn is a strange season. nature might be transitioning to its dead/sleeping state of winter, but when it's not the gloomy rainy days, autumn is so full of vibrant colors, that it's just impressive somehow. Though it might be a sort of countermeasure from nature, to not make everyone go full lethargic upon it turned autumn. Like how the sparkling white snow can give a bit of a better face to the otherwise quite gloomy winter too.

Corruption is quite void of life, indeed, - but there are still things growing there, like the ebonwood trees, and the grass and there are even flowers in the tall grass, although stuck in a forever withering state, but, there is something impressive in it still, like how ebonwood grows there, and despite living in a gloomy, lightless land ravaged by some giant worms, those trees still look all fuzzy and somehow cute. Makes someone wanna give them a nice big hug, beacuse they deserve love (that is, that's the crimson fangirl) XD lol
But the creatures there, they have a sort of undead air around them.

That's for the corruption, but I would consider the creatures of the crimson are not undead, but really alive (even if most of them lacks really independent will and just follows a hive-mind), so, like, things keep growing, but I think they do so, part because they are alive. But kinda too alive XD

Both biomes have lots of possibilities to interpret them I guess XD and both have their own odd charm XD lol

Back
Top Bottom