For those experience lag/delays/sync issues

In my experience, I have never hosted a world/server through steam's multiplayer system, and I get lag (FPS lag that is. 60 frames no problem one second, 3 frames the next with no warning whatsoever and back again) ONLY since terraria 1.3 updated. And I know its not my internet speeds or pc that is the problem either.

I can't say I've ever experienced massive frame drops in this game, mostly enemies skipping around and desync issues with picking up drops. I wonder if the FPS issue is tied to low end computers or something. What are your specs?

Having similar problems but I suppose it may just be my CPU since I'm on the low end of the spectrum. Note that I wasn't having server problems pre 1.3, having problems now (steam or no steam :/)
FPS issue; 43 FPS on avg single player [lowest setting] 60fps on low stress areas (Like my house for instance.)
2 FPS lowest, 8 FPS avg 12 FPS no stress area
Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.120926-1855)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite C855D
BIOS: 6.20
Processor: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (2 CPUs), ~1.3GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3678MB RAM
Page File: 2444MB used, 2058MB available
Windows Dir: C:\windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode
Pulled this off dxdiag.

I'm having HUGE desync problems. Everything freezes in place, I can move around, enemies will sometimes spawn which I can kill, but the host will be stuck in place. Then all of a sudden, everything I missed happens at 500% speed and I finally catch up with the server.
This happens completely randomly as far as I know, sometimes I can farm 4 or 5 Golems without problems, I even managed to go through a whole Martian event without desync. And sometimes, I'm just chatting with the host in the house, during the day and I'll desync for what... 2 whole minutes?
I really don't understand what this is about. I'm not experiencing any internet lag when the game is sync'd up, and my FPS are stable at 60.
Do you think trying something else than Steam joining would fix anything? My internet and the host's aren't the best around so it might be linked :l

I don't think there's anything we could do on our ends that would completely solve these multiplayer issues. Possibly port forwarding, but Terraria utilizes only one of those ports for multiplayer (7777). I'm not entirely sure what is causing such instability at this point, and the team can't seem to find what the root cause is, either. Other than a fresh reinstall and joining via IP rather than through Steam, there's not much else I can suggest.

If your internet hasn't changed between 1.2.4.1 and 1.3.0.7, it's unlikely that you'd have to tinker with your settings to make it fully functional.

I did try playing with another friend that has a much better upload rate, game was smoother, but I still got some desyncs when many enemies were spawned...
Meh, I'll just go with it and hope for the best in the future :D

I know it’s been 5 years since this post, but I can’t seem to fix this issue still. I’ve tried everything mentioned... the lag is still unbearable. Is there an updated fix? Note: I am on a MacBook Pro that I just got this week.
Also, when I try to start a multiplayer server through IP address, my brother can’t join. It’s just keeps loading, but never joins the world.
please help! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom