Single Player/Multiplayer
Multi
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Hello!

So, I've accidentally found yet another bug with Return potions, this one potentially server-breaking if used in certain ways.

Steps to Replicate:
0.) Set-up a teleporter underneath a bed with an easy-to-reach switch. The teleporter can lead anywhere, the entrance just has to be under the area where you respawn. This is so that, as soon as you go to your spawnpoint, you can use the teleporter without moving.
1.) Be on a multiplayer server with other people.
2.) Set your spawn at the bed.
3.) Use a return potion while in proximity to other players.
(NOTE: Honestly, I have no clue what the range of this bug is. I've seen people not get teleported while I stand next to them, while other times I've been 2000+ blocks away and I've been teleported. I have yet to figure out what the "range" is for this, but I suspect that having someone on your team and seeing their name on the hud (ex. Ethyriel 2439ft) might count as "close enough".)
4.) As soon as you return to your spawnpoint, you'll see that the other players are visually teleported with you. In most circumstances, this is purely a visual bug and they snap back to where they should be a few moments later. (I know this portion has been reported before, but keep reading.)
5.) While the visually bugged players are at your spawnpoint with you, activate the teleporter. The window of opportunity is tight, but smart-cursor helps to reliably flick the lever and activate the teleporter.
6.) If done quick enough, other players in the server will find themselves warped to the teleporter exit.

This can easily be abused, as I found out during my science. Rigging a trap like Explosive bunnies at the teleporter exit can be used to instantly kill players before they react. I have seen that, on an 8-person server, all 8 people can be forced into one spot. As said above, it has some inconsistency, but it has the potential to teleport everyone.

I planned to attach footage of this bug in-action, but I didn't have a chance before leaving on a trip. However, if others have difficulty replicating this, I can get footage up as soon as I get home.

Happy testing,
~Ethyriel

Bumping this post as I've done further testing.

By setting "TeamNameplateDistance" to a high number, say 10,000, you can have players "on screen" even if they're on the other side of the map. I was able to teleport someone who was at the right ocean on a large world back to spawn with this.

All previous points are still valid; I've just figured out how to truly make the teleportation server-wide.

I tried replicating this in 1.4.1.1 using a steam multiplayer world and two tabs, I wasn't able to replicate teleporting players who appeared at spawn, but found that the players visually moved to spawn can be hit with PvP enabled.
The teleporter not working when I tried it could be because of an update since 1.4.0.5, not sure if this is correct.
Recording of using it to kill the other tab using PvP, team is only included to show how far apart the players were:
Return.gif

Last edited:
I tried replicating this in 1.4.1.1 using a steam multiplayer world and two tabs, I wasn't able to replicate teleporting players who appeared at spawn, but found that the players visually moved to spawn can be hit with PvP enabled.
The teleporter not working when I tried it could be because of an update since 1.4.0.5, not sure if this is correct.
Recording of using it to kill the other tab using PvP, team is only included to show how far apart the players were:View attachment 294974
I tested it in 1.4.1 and it still works, it just requires you to spam the teleporter more. Here is the setup I used, force-teleporting someone on no team to teleporter 1500ft. Same method as described, return potion to under-bed teleporter activation.

hz1lud.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom