TCF Suggestion Forum Idea : Dislikes

MrFizzard

Terrarian
Hi,

So we have these things here called "likes". I have heard of these ratings on other web pages. I propose that we add....

DISLIKES!!!

Mainly because I want to have a stat that I can be proud of, and also one that has meaning. No I am not a troll. No I do not spend my entire spare time finding ways to make things difficult for others. I leave that up to other people. That job role is filled. Here is another way to look at things:

I used to play an online game called Ultima Online. You were given an adjective prefix to your name depending on your deeds and actions. Good having Illustrious, Glorious, Glorious Lord, etc, while the other side have Vile, Infamous, Dread Lord, etc. Now Infamous isn't exactly a bad thing and depending on how you look at it could be equally commendable as Illustrious.

Thanks for reading and feedback is desired and welcome. Please be sure to be as detailed as possible and stray away from vagueness. I struggle sometimes with comprehension ( English never was my forte in school ) so a simple one sentence reply won't suffice.

Yes, I am Dread Lord serious here.

The only time I'd use the dislike button would be for this thread

I'm not a fan of the idea. If someone dislikes something, I'd rather them either just ignore it or provide a comment detailing (politely) why they dislike it. The dislike button would probably really kill real feedback for things like game suggestions.

My issue is that I think this is likely to be abused, or at the very least do more harm than good (if it does any good at all, that is).

People don't like being judged unfairly, especially negatively. This means that if people dislike them or their content, they want to know why that is, to see if it's justified. Allowing people to simply indicate dislike without any form of elucidation is going to instill a certain feeling of frustration, anxiety and/or worry ("Will they like my post/art/suggestion? What if they don't like it? Why don't they like it? Should I stop posting stuff?") in members posting on these forums (almost all humans care about what other people think about them, even if they say they don't). All in all, not feelings, or indeed an atmosphere, that you'd want to cultivate.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of people being able to express their dislike for or disagreement of something in a respectful and constructive way (as I am doing right now ;) ). However, a simple 'dislike' tag is not constructive in my opinion. I think that such a tag will damage the general forum experience rather than improve it.

We have a portion in the rules referencing that criticism of any sort should be constructive. Having a simple "dislike" feature seems as far away from constructive as you can get. It says nothing about why someone disliked something and if that person isn't willing to spell out their reasons, then why spread a bunch of negativity in the first place?

a dislike would be far too vague to actually expand on any issues in the blog. furthermore, if you get wrapped up in some drama your posts could be dislike bombed, easily putting people off from reading it because "oh hey this must be a bad suggestion" and putting people off actually reading and/or constructively criticizing you, whilst pushing a further sense of "what the actual hecc is wrong with this idontgetit".

This would be like YouTube, sometimes, someone dislikes a person, but does not seem to reveal themselves, so they dislike every single post they can dislike, we don't want that, if someone does not like something, we need to know why, and this is why I think it's a terrible idea.

Serebiiforums had a reputation system based around post likes and dislikes. It didn't last for very long.

Among the various technical problems the system started producing, people were using dislikes to bully people they didn't like.

That behavior shouldn't be encouraged and goes against the spirit of this particular community. So while your suggestion is a decent one, it wouldn't work here.

Back
Top Bottom