Question Forum Question Thread V2.0 (1.3.1 Edition!)

How many tiles does a Super Dart go before another one ready to shoot? If it seemed unclear, I want a Super Dart Trap fire, and then re-fire itself with its dart. So, how many tiles should the dart pass before they hit the re-fire plate?

Edit: Also, how many tiles the dart passes in a second?
You might want to take a look at this.

How many tiles does a Super Dart go before another one ready to shoot? If it seemed unclear, I want a Super Dart Trap fire, and then re-fire itself with its dart. So, how many tiles should the dart pass before they hit the re-fire plate?

Edit: Also, how many tiles the dart passes in a second?
The darts travel at 45 blocks per second. They can fly up to 60 seconds, at which point they will break. They have a maximum range of 2700 blocks. They can only be fired every 3.33 seconds, so there would be approximately a 150 block range before it can be re-fired.

Edit: Dang I got sniped by niranufoti

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, first post! :)

I'm trying to make a lever that when activated only turns something else on for a few seconds then turns off permanently... Possible?

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum, first post! :)

I'm trying to make a lever that when activated only turns something else on for a few seconds then turns off permanently... Possible?
You can use Dart Traps and Teal Pressure Pads for generate a delayed secondary impulse. When you hit your Lever, you will turn on your stuff and fire the Dart, and then after a delay the Dart will hit the Teal Pad and turn your stuff of.

You can use Dart Traps and Teal Pressure Pads for generate a delayed secondary impulse. When you hit your Lever, you will turn on your stuff and fire the Dart, and then after a delay the Dart will hit the Teal Pad and turn your stuff of.
thanks ill try it...
brb..
[doublepost=1469640927,1469639640][/doublepost]

Problem is the Dart delay, if you hit the lever twice within that 3 second delay, you will reverse the "activation" (aka door will stay open instead of closed).

there must be a logic circuit that can do this, I just can't figure it out right now... :/

EDIT: in minecraft you could send a signal to a lever so it would turn itself off thereby closing the (timed) loop, doesn't seem to be able to in terraria...?

thanks ill try it...
brb..
[doublepost=1469640927,1469639640][/doublepost]

Problem is the Dart delay, if you hit the lever twice within that 3 second delay, you will reverse the "activation" (aka door will stay open instead of closed).

there must be a logic circuit that can do this, I just can't figure it out right now... :/

EDIT: in minecraft you could send a signal to a lever so it would turn itself off thereby closing the (timed) loop, doesn't seem to be able to in terraria...?
Hmm, I will try to make something to turn around this issue...
[doublepost=1469643091][/doublepost]OK, I have solved the issue. So, what's the solution? Use more darts!

1.png

2.png

There are two darts, the one on top used to conduct the impulse by blocking the following ones during delaying time. The one on below is self explanatory, it's for create the delay, and also reset the impulse blocker.

So, how it works? When you hit Lever, two darts will be fired. The top one hits the Teal Pad, activating the stuff(an enclosed torch in this example) and also de-actuating the blocks right in front of darts, effectively blocking another input before the delay exhausted. After the delay finished, the below Dart hits the Teal Pad, de-activating the stuff and actuating the impulse blockers to make it ready for another input.

Notice: Darts sometimes pass one block walls, so use two or more blocks for the actuator based blocking thingie. I didn't think about it while building this.

Edit: The thing developed way faster than I thought. I figured it out that it only needs one dart and two pads, also have the double-block blocker. So, here's the screenshots;
i1.png

i2.png

Edit2: Noticed way too late I put the wrong images on there, lol

Last edited:
Hmm, I will try to make something to turn around this issue...
[doublepost=1469643091][/doublepost]OK, I have solved the issue. So, what's the solution? Use more darts!

View attachment 130325

View attachment 130329

There are two darts, the one on top used to conduct the impulse by blocking the following ones during delaying time. The one on below is self explanatory, it's for create the delay, and also reset the impulse blocker.

So, how it works? When you hit Lever, two darts will be fired. The top one hits the Teal Pad, activating the stuff(an enclosed torch in this example) and also de-actuating the blocks right in front of darts, effectively blocking another input before the delay exhausted. After the delay finished, the below Dart hits the Teal Pad, de-activating the stuff and actuating the impulse blockers to make it ready for another input.

Notice: Darts sometimes pass one block walls, so use two or more blocks for the actuator based blocking thingie. I didn't think about it while building this.

Awesome! will keep this Dart version in mind, for other projects! But I just now found a logic gate solution for the problem and it is a lot simpler to build.

The Timed Door Mechanism: (will activate any mechanism for the "timed" period when clicking lever or switch)
Requires:
Lever or Switch
XOR Gate
Timer

81339b3e558a069a610bad160f532cdf.png

9298f3caebbb671fa2421abb587c65e1.png

@SteveisNoob thx man for leading my train of thought in the right direction.. :)

Awesome! will keep this Dart version in mind, for other projects! But I just now found a logic gate solution for the problem and it is a lot simpler to build.

The Timed Door Mechanism: (will activate any mechanism for the "timed" period when clicking lever or switch)
Requires:
Lever or Switch
XOR Gate
Timer

81339b3e558a069a610bad160f532cdf.png

9298f3caebbb671fa2421abb587c65e1.png

@SteveisNoob thx man for leading my train of thought in the right direction.. :)
Hmm, interesting. It's more useful when you want exactly 1-3-5 minute timings, to save allot of free space! :D

As far as I know, the one that was activated last pulses first. That's how cascading timers work - hook up a bunch of timers, each to the next one and previous one, and the signal will travel from one to the next.

Timers have their own stack. Stahn Aileron has an ancient post that discusses.

I hope this thread is the right place to ask this.

Are spawn requirements any different now than they were in 1.3.0.8? Any changes at all from 1.3.1 to 1.3.4.3? If there was no change. . . where exactly can I learn all the details about mob spawning rules? I wanna build a mob grinder using some new stuff and need to know exactly so I can plan the rooms accordingly.

Is there a working free cam mod at the moment?

Is there a spreadsheet with enemy characteristics? (like sizes, ai type, possible to teleport, pass through blocks, so on)

Hope this is the ok place to ask, didn't seem like something to do an entire thread about… is there an (idiot's) guide to logic gates? Id like to start learning how to use them. Preferably something a novice could understand. Thanks!

Hope this is the ok place to ask, didn't seem like something to do an entire thread about… is there an (idiot's) guide to logic gates? Id like to start learning how to use them. Preferably something a novice could understand. Thanks!
You can check out what @Niranufoti recommended, or you could check out this youtube playlist that goes a bit more in to detail later on.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL979fiFVzLI5xCr_vrggXMhhejuoaM3HP
And if you ever have questions on how to do something or how something works you can always ask on the forums! :)

Thanks @Niranufoti & @idkwhoiam129! Im well on my way on my first (simple) project. I appreciate the links a ton! :dryadpassionate:

Edit:

So I finished up my first project... I wanted to make an elevator with the up/down arrows that would light up and turn off when you flipped the corresponding switch. Way easy for you guys probably but for a total newb to these I am proud to have figured it out all by myself `:happy:

elevator3.gif

Last edited:
Howdy, Fellow Terrarians! I just recently joined T-MEC, And the forums for that matter! I've been playing Terraria for A long time. Although, I never created a Forums account until now, And I'm glad to be here with other terrarians who also enjoy working "mechanically".

So, my Skills and talents? Well I do pretty well with Inlet/Outlet Pumps, Mechanically controlling doors, and creating Event Related(Not Bosses) Machines to grind them up, Example Pumpkin moon, Frost Moon, etc;
[doublepost=1490532831,1490497453][/doublepost]Good Day, Fellow Terrarians, I have a question. I have this Geyser Mob Trap (GMT) that operates off of simple pressure plates, One of my first designs.

However, I'm looking to create an improved version by using logic gates that only go off when a mob is above it and not a player? I don't know if that's even possible but I'm just asking. And If I make a breakthrough here, I might be able to influence the building of GMTs for people who better understand how to use logic gates.

Just Asking ~ EXPFF

Last edited:
Good Day, Fellow Terrarians, I have a question. I have this Geyser Mob Trap (GMT) that operates off of simple pressure plates, One of my first designs.

However, I'm looking to create an improved version by using logic gates that only go off when a mob is above it and not a player? I don't know if that's even possible but I'm just asking. And If I make a breakthrough here, I might be able to influence the building of GMTs for people who better understand how to use logic gates.

Just Asking ~ EXPFF
Depending on how complex you want it, the most simple solution would obviously be using pressure plates that only trigger for NPCs (the yellow ones, I think). If you actually want it to not trigger when there's a player above it, I'd suggest using Player Above Sensors and Faulty Lamp Transistors.
In case you're not familiar with Faulty Lamps:
What gate is used doesn't matter [...]; neither do lamps placed above the faulty one.

When the faulty lamp gets a signal, the gate is randomly activated with a certain chance. This chance [is] determined by the logic gate lamps below the faulty one, more specifically (number of active lamps)/(number of total lamps), e.g. if you have three active ones and one inactive one between the faulty lamp and the gate, there's a 75% chance of activation.
By putting just a single lamp between the faulty lamp and the gate, the transmission chance is always 100% or 0%, controlled by that lamp's state – that's why we call it a transistor.
The actual mechanism would be based on switching off the transistors while there's a player in the area, thus disconnecting the pressure plates from the traps until the player leaves again. You could wire up the sensors to an OR gate to switch off the whole thing if a player is anywhere, or just have individual Sensor-Transistor components controlling the traps inside the sensor's area.

Depending on how complex you want it, the most simple solution would obviously be using pressure plates that only trigger for NPCs (the yellow ones, I think). If you actually want it to not trigger when there's a player above it, I'd suggest using Player Above Sensors and Faulty Lamp Transistors.
In case you're not familiar with Faulty Lamps:

Thanks, I've been wanting my NPCs to stop dying ;)

Thanks, I've been wanting my NPCs to stop dying ;)
Remember, when dealing with mechanics, the game doesn't discriminate between friendly and hostile NPCs (unless I've missed something important), so building a trap that only triggers on monsters, but not on townies, is pretty much impossible.

Back
Top Bottom