PC FPS drop associated with drop in CPU usage... Lag, stuttering, etc.

Side1Bu2Rnz9

Terrarian
I've been playing terraria on the same computer for about as long as terraria has been out on Steam. I've never noticed this issue in the past and it only just recently (last few weeks) has started happening to me.

After about 5-10 minutes of play, I notice an immediate drop in FPS and a slow down / stutter effect that is resulting along side this FPS drop. After running HW monitoring programs to try and get to the bottom of the issue, I think I've discovered why my FPS drops and why my game becomes unplayable... The issue is I don't know how to fix it or if it can be fixed on my end.

The FPS drop and assocated stuttering/slow-down all correlates with a complete drop of CPU usaged on all cores down to idle percentages... I've taken screen shots of my game's F7, F8, F10 showing before and after. I've also screen shot my monitoring showing the stark drop in CPU usage that begins at the exact spot when the game becomes unplayable due to the drop in FPS and slowdown/stutter.

I've tried just about everything I can do ingame to fix the issue... Adjusting settings don't seem to have a noticeable effect, cycling F9 doesn't work, setting priority in Task Manager doesn't seem to fix the issue every time (besides it's not a permanent fix...).

Terraria Settings:
Terraria_Video-Settings.PNG

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K @ 4.7GHz (overclocked)
RAM: 16.0 GB @ 1800MHz
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

BEFORE SCREENSHOTS:
20171226232756_1.jpg 20171226232810_1.jpg

AFTER SCREENSHOTS:
20171226233012_1.jpg 20171226233015_1.jpg

CPU Monitoring:
HW-Monitoring_Terraria.PNG

Hopefully you can see the drop in CPU usage from near 100% on CPU1 down to near idle usage of 20-30%. All of ther CPU cores that were likely used to run Terraria also see a drop (CPU3, CPU5, CPU7). GPU usage and speeds remain unchanged. CPU speeds remain unchanged (they're set to run constantly at 4.7GHz). This only happens with Terraria and it only started happening recently so I'm at a loss as to what changed... Did Terraria have an update? IDK...

I think I have this same issue. Most of the time I'm getting a constant 60 fps, and then sometimes the fps goes to a constant 50 fps and it stays there for a while before returning to 60 fps. With the reduced fps, the gameplay is also slower (even though frame skip is on). This happens in both single player and multi player.

My specs:
i7-6700K @ 4 GHz
GTX 970
16 GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

a Windows 10 update has changed how full-screen games are displayed on screen. some PCs/game combos get a performance increase or drop.

on my computer it's a drop below 30 in exclusive full-screen

Windows 10 has added an option to the compatibility tab for exe file properties. "Disable full-screen optimisations" default is unchecked. enabling this option makes Windows go back to the old way and performance goes back to the way it was and notifications/volume won't show on screen.

when I enabled this setting I got back to 60 fps

specs:
i5-2410M 2.3 GHz
nvidia GT 540M
8 GB sodimm 1333mhz
win10 home 64-bit

Last edited:
a Windows 10 update has changed how full-screen games are displayed on screen. some PCs/game combos get a performance increase or drop.

on my computer it's a drop below 30 in exclusive full-screen

Windows 10 has added an option to the compatibility tab for exe file properties. "Disable full-screen optimisations" default is unchecked. enabling this option makes Windows go back to the old way and performance goes back to the way it was and notifications/volume won't show on screen.

when I enabled this setting I got back to 60 fps

specs:
i5-2410M 2.3 GHz
nvidia GT 540M
8 GB sodimm 1333mhz
win10 home 64-bit

Good information, and yeah, Windows/.NET being a big crackhead.

Back
Top Bottom