PC FPS Drops/Stutter

The Milkman 2

Terrarian
Hello everyone,

Recently I have come back to play Terraria and have been getting serious FPS drops. The game will be running at a smooth 60 fps and then at a random point start to go slow-mo and the fps drops to 30-40 for 2-5 seconds. I have never had this problem before I came back to playing Terraria. I don't think it is my PC that is causing the problems as I have a Ryzen 5 1600, GTX 1060 6 gigabytes and 16 gigabytes of ram. I have already tried downgrading to an older driver for my GPU and have re-installed Terraria. In addition, I have verified the game files. Furthermore, I have done a re-install of the game and clearing steam's download cache. I don't know what to do to fix this FPS issue.

Delete your config.json (located in \Documents\My Games\Terraria) and redo your settings. Set Frameskip to "Off" and Multicore lighting to "Off" then let me know if this fixes your issue or if more investigation is required.

did you try disabling the walking achievement? I've heard that that can cause fps drops...

Download and install a utility called HWMonitor. Launch the game and when you get to a moment where your FPS is stuttering alt-tab and launch HWMonitor. Check your GPU Temperatures and report them here.

upload_2019-5-8_19-27-29.png

Alright let me see your CPU temps as well.

Let's also make sure Terraria runs on a separate core from your other processes.

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc
  • Find Terraria.exe
  • Right click it and select "Go to Details"
  • Right click Terraria.exe again and set priority to High.
  • Right click Terraria.exe one more time and click "Set Affinity"
  • Deselect CPU 0, 1, 2, and 3.
  • If you still get frame drops try re-selecting cores 1-3.
  • If you still get frame drops after that it's safe to re-select core 0 as well.

When is the last time Terraria ran smoothly, can you think of anything that's changed in your system environment between that time?

Also, does reducing the amount of applications in the background further improve performance or is there still issues?

Closing applications does not improve performance. In addition, the last time Terraria ran smoothly was in late 2017 around December. I think the only change I made to my computer was upgraded from 8 gigs of ram to 16 gigs. I have already tried taking out the new ram that I had added. There were no improvements when I took out the ram.

This is a perplexing issue indeed. When you tried an older driver it was from a date when the game still worked correct? Just wanted to double check.

Interesting, after doing some testing it seems with the older driver and setting my game to high priority though task manager allows the game to be stutter/fps drop free. Also, do you know a way to set Terraria to start high priority automatically?

Thank you for the help I appreciate it a lot.

I'm glad we could get that resolved, unfortunately there isn't a clear easy way to save priority in Windows for Steam applications.

When the 1.3.6 update releases it may be worth seeing if you can get a stutter free experience on the newer driver version on the new game version, I suppose for now you'll need to manually set the priority.

I know this post is older, but I had a similar issue with a much simpler solution. Somehow my video setting had been changed to windowed. A quick click to fullscreen completely resolved my framerate problems. Hopefully this can help someone else!

I know this post is older, but I had a similar issue with a much simpler solution. Somehow my video setting had been changed to windowed. A quick click to fullscreen completely resolved my framerate problems. Hopefully this can help someone else!
Thx dude it worked for me

Delete your config.json (located in \Documents\My Games\Terraria) and redo your settings. Set Frameskip to "Off" and Multicore lighting to "Off" then let me know if this fixes your issue or if more investigation is required.
I know this thread is super old but I searched google about the same thing and this thread showed up, I can't find "Multicore lighting" in my config file

Back
Top Bottom