tModLoader Fractures of Penumbra (WIP)

InsouciantGote

Official Terrarian
Hello everyone! I'm InsouciantGote, creator of this mod called the Fractures of Penumbra!

FPenumbraTitle.png

This mod is still a work in progress. Although an initial release is made, some content or features may not be final and can be changed, and bugs may exist. The given features below, however, will never change.

Do note that this mod won't be suitable or compatible for multiplayer, so this mod only functions effectively in singleplayer.

This forum is being changed for an upcoming port to 1.4. Refer to the Discord server (link provided below) to get more information.

Fractures of Penumbra Features:
icon.png

• Adds routes and endings to the game which can affect the entire gameplay aside from adding ores into the world, gaining new loot, unlocking new content, or spawning new mobs. Be careful with what events you may wish to occur, items that you could use, or bosses that you could kill.​
  • The given feature above can be disabled on a world anytime by a starting item if you want a regular playthrough. This cannot be reversed once activated.​
  • Adds new NPCs, items, bosses, and more content from pre-hardmode to Post-Moon Lord.​
  • Adds Fragments to every boss which are always dropped in treasure bags that are used as accessories to give you various abilities and consequences.​
  • Adds new biomes; one in which it'll be made once hardmode starts and the others which should be made by the player itself.​
  • Active abilities such as stasis​
  • Supports Yet Another Boss Health Bar Mod, Boss Checklist Mod and DiscordRP.​

Fractures of Penumbra Current Progress:
We're currently focusing on pre-hardmode content, although hardmode content is being made as well. The progress is slow due to a lack of members and time but it's still going well. Some plans are not yet clear, but we're still sticking to the objectives.
  • 160+ items, 10 of which are fragments​
  • 3 Town NPCs​
  • 4 new bosses with YABHB and Boss Checklist support​
  • 10+ new enemies​
  • 1 biome​
  • Insanity Mechanic​
  • Custom sounds and music​
  • Changed Chaos State to disable teleportation items, including mirrors and potions​
  • Added recipes to vanilla items such as Ice Machine, Living Loom, and Wood Wands​
  • Added effects when low on health​

Item Examples:

SeedsOfDeterrence.png
EnchantedWood.png

Seeds of Deterrence and Enchanted Wood

- The Seeds of Deterrence is a world-changing item that will allow your world's forests to spawn hostile treants which drop Enchanted Wood that serve as materials for more gear. In hardmode, it will also cause corrupted, crimson, and hallowed treants to spawn. Once you use this item in a world, the effects cannot be reversed anymore.

IceBlock.png

Ice Block

- An accessory that gives you an active ability called Cryostasis which causes you to freeze but become immune to damage (does not clear or make you immune to debuffs even to their damaging effects), lasts until 4 seconds or if you cancel the buff yourself. After using it, it comes with a 2-minute cooldown.

BowOfFocus.png

Precision's Flight

- A pre-hardmode weapon crafted from enchanted wood and fallen stars in a living loom. This bow shoots an additional arrow that ignores gravity, however, it only deals half damage.

LivingCherry.png
MysticStarfruit.png

Living Cherry and Mystic Starfruit

- If you allow the treants to spawn in your world, they'll have a chance to drop these items. These are alternatives for life and mana crystals if you can't find one that easy or if you need one quickly.

PartyCupcakeProjectile.png

Party Cupcake

- Happy Grenades from the vanilla mod are altered in this mod to make them more powerful than the ordinary grenade. With that being done, another weapon with the same properties has to be made, but with a new function. Party Cupcakes are like the normal Happy Grenades; low damage and pops out confetti upon explosion, however, it has a chance to confuse enemies for a while. Do note that this is an explosive weapon, not a food that can be eaten safely.

PrismaticShard.png

Prismatic Shard

- With Last Prism being a fun weapon to use for mages and a weapon to be collected only from the Moon Lord, a pre-hardmode version of this weapon is made. A shard carrying a small fraction of the Last Prism's power; this shard fires 4 beams and takes even longer to charge. It also deals 2 damage.

1624529283849.png

Protodesignator

- The game features summon weapons that let you attack instead of summoning minions, allowing summoners to make more use of mana and do much more than just dodging. This weapon releases a harmless laser that marks your location for friendly vile kamikazes to approach and bombard enemies.

BladedFlowerSeeds.png

Bladed Flower Seeds

- Another unique summoner weapon is this bag of seeds. These seeds are thrown, and when they hit an enemy or if they stay on the ground for too long, they release flower minions. These minions don't take any minion slots, however, they expire after a short while.

DarkPulsarStaff.png

Dark Pulsar Staff

- A combination of the three staves that can be crafted using the materials from the mod's pre-hardmode bosses. This staff fires 2 bolts that homes on nearby enemies, when they hit a target, they go backwards for a short while to home on enemies again.

ScarletElementalCore.gif

Scarlet Elemental Core

- Some items are obtained if you end fights differently, this item is one of them. The Scarlet Elemental Core has no power once you obtain it, it awaits your choice of power; crafting it to another power with some fallen stars and the core itself. Find out what this item does by yourself. Do note that this is dropped only once in a world and it cannot be crafted into another power again.
NPC Examples

Cryomancer.gif

Cryomancer
"I don't need a fancy outfit to be a true cryomancer. It's all about power and skill."

This NPC shows up after killing a certain boss. He serves as your guide for this mod and a merchant for some items such as Ice Mirror and Ice Machine.

AlphaFrostjaw.png

Alpha Frostjaw

A worm boss that rests within the depths of the snowy lands and appears only if there's any human activity that may tamper with the weather like making an anomalous blizzard.

This worm has an extremely durable body, therefore attacking the head or the tail will have to do. Watch out for its spikes and mines

ScarletElemental.gif

Scarlet Elemental

An elemental that is responsible for the seal that's cast upon the scarlet gems. While undefeated, all items that require scarlet gems for crafting cannot be crafted, however, the Scarlet Gem is still craftable which is used to summon it underground.

This boss slowly loses physicality as you keep hurting it, eventually making it impenetrable from attacks that lack the unique energy to deal damage against it. If so, energy zones will occasionally show up which will allow you to hurt the elemental when inside them. These zones expire if there's no elemental present or if you stay too long inside them.

PrototypeVile.gif

V.I.L.E. (Virulent Intelligent Liquidating Exanimate)

A strange alien robot with otherworldly energy and construction based on the creatures within the corrupted and grotesque lands. This machine constantly spawns Vile Drones to assist itself while charging either above or below you to hurt you from jumping or going up or down.

The V.I.L.E summons two drone types: The Vile Interceptor and Vile Kamikaze. The interceptor follows you, dashes shortly, and shoots lasers, while the kamikazes move quickly and will explode once killed or if touched. The V.I.L.E. has various phases which may involve it charging diagonally to punish you from moving up or down, shooting lasers which sometimes come in a spread, and bombarding you from above.

Fragments

Insistence.gif
Intelligence.gif
Prevalence.gif
Resistance.gif
Virulence.gif

Fragments are dropped in treasure bags from bosses. Each boss, including the ones in vanilla have their own. Each fragment gives you a bonus, but also a consequence (if any), so use them wisely. Only one fragment can be used at a time.

Fragment of Insistence (King Slime)
- Increases jump height but reduces your defense.

Fragment of Intelligence (Brain of Chtulhu)
- Increases magic and minion damage based on your current mana but reduces your maximum mana to half.

Fragment of Prevalence (Queen Bee)
- Adds a minion slot and increases minion damage but reduces your damage reduction

Fragment of Resistance (Skeletron)
- Converts any damage above 100 down to 100, then it gains a 1-minute cooldown, but your critcal chance is reduced by 10%.

Fragment of Virulence (V.I.L.E.)
- Increases critical chance but every time you get hit, you are cursed for a few seconds

(There are more fragments available in the game)

Dread Biome

Behind this world you are stepping in is a darkness hidden from our eyes. It will not reveal on it's own, therefore, a player must get a clentaminator and dreadful solution and spread it in a land. With enough tiles, you can get to see what horrors are hidden behind this land.

dread1.png

The grotesque and dreadful environment can affect the sanity of the player, a unique player mechanic that must be taken care of, otherwise, it can cause several advantages and disadvantages.

Insanity

Insanity is a unique mechanic in the Fractures of Penumbra mod. Facing certain horrors in the Dread biome or anything from it will increase insanity. Depending on how much you have, it can cause certain undesirable changes.

How to gain insanity:
  • Entering the Dread biome can give you the Dread debuff. While you have it, your insanity will increase slowly.
  • Disturbing ambience in the dread biome can decrease sanity.
  • Getting hit by dread enemies can increase insanity. The increase varies from enemy type.
  • Using certain items may increase insanity when used.

How to lose or protect from insanity:
  • Using sanity potions can decrease your insanity, however, they have a cooldown.
  • The vanilla’s calming potions can grant you immunity to the Dread debuff. This will not cause your insanity to decrease by its own while you’re in the Dread biome, however.
  • Insanity decreases slowly while outside the Dread biome.

Effects of insanity:
  • Pickaxe speed, movement speed, acceleration speed, damage, and mana regeneration is decreased and mana cost is increased. All of these depend on the level of insanity.
  • Darkness effects are increased depending on insanity level.
  • Dread enemies drop Terror cores more often up to 33%.
  • Dread enemies will lose too much visibilty unless you are near them once your insanity is 60% and above.
  • Horror ambience in the dread biome plays even more frequently.
  • Heat distortion effects will be enabled while your insanity is 60% and above (can be disabled by disabling Heat Distortion in the settings).
  • Death messages will change.
  • Certain items that depend on insanity level will be affected.
  • Music is replaced with a looping ear ringing noise while you are at 95% and above (can be changed into silence via configs).
Insanity can be tracked by a meter which will appear once hardmode starts.​

More content will be given soon; help is highly appreciated!
We are currently in need of more spriters and coders. We are also finding for a musician, which is very important. There's no dev team yet except for myself and a musician, but there are others who still managed to contribute.

Do you like the mod and get updates about its progress? Want to know more or contribute to the mod? Join our Discord server!

Support Banners:

Banner Codes:
Alpha Frostjaw: [url="https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/fractures-of-penumbra-wip.105752/"][img]https://i.imgur.com/MXv2bwP.png[/img][/url]
V.I.L.E: [url="https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/fractures-of-penumbra-wip.105752/"][img]https://i.imgur.com/gDrpU8l.png[/img][/url]
Scarlet Elemental: [url="https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/fractures-of-penumbra-wip.105752/"][img]https://i.imgur.com/fwDnCll.png[/img][/url]

Thanks to the following for contributing!:
Mythriel81

milk
Rovic
Chepyl

Byte the Protogen
NotsoMcMinty
Über Über 1
AppleWithBeak
Da capital
Daedronox
Chapface
TerraTom

Last edited:
I saw this on the mod browser. Just wanted to say that this mod is great.
Great sprites, cool concepts, just overall pretty much a lot of what makes a good mod.
I hope this mod prospers and stuff.

Edit (Just because nobody's commented since mine, at the time of writing):
A multiplayer bug I've noticed with the Alpha Frostjaw. When spawning, it will somewhat quickly despawn, once it gets a certain distance away from the players while attacking.
It also sometimes has it's entire body (but not head) shatter. Upon coming into contact with a player. Not sure why this happens, but these are both multiplayer exclusive bugs, from my testing. Hope this helps to a degree.

Edit 2: The despawning glitch also appears with the V.I.L.E. in multiplayer.

Last edited:
I saw this on the mod browser. Just wanted to say that this mod is great.
Great sprites, cool concepts, just overall pretty much a lot of what makes a good mod.
I hope this mod prospers and stuff.

Edit (Just because nobody's commented since mine, at the time of writing):
A multiplayer bug I've noticed with the Alpha Frostjaw. When spawning, it will somewhat quickly despawn, once it gets a certain distance away from the players while attacking.
It also sometimes has it's entire body (but not head) shatter. Upon coming into contact with a player. Not sure why this happens, but these are both multiplayer exclusive bugs, from my testing. Hope this helps to a degree.

Edit 2: The despawning glitch also appears with the V.I.L.E. in multiplayer.
I just found your edit, so here:
Ah, I see. I'll try to check what I can do about it. There will be a high possibility, however, that this mod may not go well in multiplayer due to some upcoming content, so it might be best to play it in single-player instead. It may sound bad due to this possible limitation, but I'll try my best to make it compatible and playable for multiplayer to make it even more fun for players.

There aren't that many coders aside from myself now, so yeah.

Hello! This mod is incredible and shows plenty of potential in the future. That being said, the sprites are some of the better sprites I have seen from many mods here. I mean, wow! Who did them? They look nice. For example, the Dark Pulsar Staff and the Scarlet Elemental are done well. Also, I usually hate when people do worm bosses because they are hard to make unique and they often het repetitive, but your worm boss looks amazing. It also has unique attacks and abilities. In addition, I love the whole fragment idea/system. Its unique and it sets this mod apart. So, with that being said, this is by far a solid mod. I hope you can continue to update it in the future. It could use some more enemies and maybe an extra boss or two, but thats just me being greedy lol. I love bosses!!! Keep up the great work. I really see this mod being one of the more popular ones on the near future.

Hello! This mod is incredible and shows plenty of potential in the future. That being said, the sprites are some of the better sprites I have seen from many mods here. I mean, wow! Who did them? They look nice. For example, the Dark Pulsar Staff and the Scarlet Elemental are done well. Also, I usually hate when people do worm bosses because they are hard to make unique and they often het repetitive, but your worm boss looks amazing. It also has unique attacks and abilities. In addition, I love the whole fragment idea/system. Its unique and it sets this mod apart. So, with that being said, this is by far a solid mod. I hope you can continue to update it in the future. It could use some more enemies and maybe an extra boss or two, but thats just me being greedy lol. I love bosses!!! Keep up the great work. I really see this mod being one of the more popular ones on the near future.
Ah, thanks! I actually did all of the coding and almost all sprites for the mod. There are others who helped by suggesting, pointing out bugs/errors and providing feedback about the mod. Although the progress is slow, it’s going pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom