Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
With the release of 1.4 the "frame skip ..." option does nothing. In previous versions I used to use it to reduce the amount of mouse lag (has been an issue to me since 2015 on 3 different computers) to acceptable levels, but now it's not working. Also, turning V-Sync off in the NVIDIA Control panel doesn't work anymore.

CPU: i5-8300H
GPU: GTX1050 4GB
RAM: 2 x 8GB 2667MHz

Frame skip only skips unnecessary frames when turned on so that the game feels like everything is running at a consistent pace during lag, whereas when it is turned off, it draws every frame even during slowdown, which causes it to literally slow down whilst usually maintaining 60 fps. The mouse lag is due to your refresh rate since Terraria only polls the mouse 60 times per second instead of the set mouse polling rate. Look up how to change the mouse polling rate on your mouse brand and see if that helps.

Tbh, devs are not taking any actions about this. This has been going around for years and still haven’t fixed it. I hope they’ll do something about this. It’s so annoying that we have a higher refresh rate than how the game could handle which makes the game a bit annoying to play. Knowing that MAJORITY of the players are using high refresh rate monitors; they could at least add A PROPER support for monitors that have high refresh rates. The game isn’t running smoothly when it supposed to do so. I hope they will make the game pleasant to be played by people with high refresh rate monitor. It’s judt way too annoying tbh.

Tbh, devs are not taking any actions about this. This has been going around for years and still haven’t fixed it. I hope they’ll do something about this. It’s so annoying that we have a higher refresh rate than how the game could handle which makes the game a bit annoying to play. Knowing that MAJORITY of the players are using high refresh rate monitors; they could at least add A PROPER support for monitors that have high refresh rates. The game isn’t running smoothly when it supposed to do so. I hope they will make the game pleasant to be played by people with high refresh rate monitor. It’s judt way too annoying tbh.
It is possible to allow the game to run higher than the 60fps cap by disabling frame skip, but there will always be mouse lag as a result of the game polling the mouse 60 times per second. The only way I'd see them being able to fix this is by making a setting for monitor refresh rate that forces the game to poll the mouse position that many times per second so that all motion throughout the game is consistent. Again, the game DOES support higher refresh rates, it just doesn't support dynamic mouse polls.

Adding full support for higher refresh rates isn't as easy as it sounds. ;)
Could even be engine limitations, as I know they are pushing what the engine can do already, or rather, have been since 1.3 lol.

It is possible to allow the game to run higher than the 60fps cap by disabling frame skip, but there will always be mouse lag as a result of the game polling the mouse 60 times per second. The only way I'd see them being able to fix this is by making a setting for monitor refresh rate that forces the game to poll the mouse position that many times per second so that all motion throughout the game is consistent. Again, the game DOES support higher refresh rates, it just doesn't support dynamic mouse polls.
For me, since 1.4, on the 2 PC's I've tried, disabling frame skip no longer runs the game at more than 60fps. Before, it allowed to run at as much as my system was capable of running it. :/
As for my mouse polling rate; it's already set to 1000Hz.

For me, since 1.4, on the 2 PC's I've tried, disabling frame skip no longer runs the game at more than 60fps. Before, it allowed to run at as much as my system was capable of running it. :/
As for my mouse polling rate; it's already set to 1000Hz.
See, the problem is the fact that the game itself uses vsync, which can overwrite your graphics settings. Or maybe you just don't have enough bandwidth to run 144hz. Make sure that your monitor is in fact displaying at 144hz.

See, the problem is the fact that the game itself uses vsync, which can overwrite your graphics settings. Or maybe you just don't have enough bandwidth to run 144hz. Make sure that your monitor is in fact displaying at 144hz.
I get that. It's just that before 1.4, both frame skip and the Nvidia control panel allowed to "unlimit" the framerate. Even on a 60hz monitor.

I get that. It's just that before 1.4, both frame skip and the Nvidia control panel allowed to "unlimit" the framerate. Even on a 60hz monitor.
Ah. Well even then, it's not like you'd notice any difference other than the fact that your framerate is higher than 60fps considering the fact that you've used a 60hz monitor to test it. If you had a 144hz monitor (or are using one) it will "unlimit" the framerate.

Adding full support for higher refresh rates isn't as easy as it sounds. ;)
Could even be engine limitations, as I know they are pushing what the engine can do already, or rather, have been since 1.3 lol.
Some youtubers like “HappyDays”, “PythonGB”, etc. are running the game so smoothly. Their mouse is also smooth. There should be some way to at least make the game enjoyable. If there’s nothing the dev could do, they would at least have let us know prior to purchase.

How to change monitor refresh rate to force game to poll the mouse positioning? Can ypu please help us.

How to change monitor refresh rate to force game to poll the mouse positioning? Can ypu please help us.
HappyDays and PythonGB are probably using a community mod for 1.3.5.3 called RTResolution that supports higher framerate than the given refresh rate, as well as also removing the forced minimum zoom for those with 4k monitors. However, I don't think it's available for 1.4 yet- or will be at all. The mod itself was last updated four years ago, though maybe we'll see it come back to life. For the time being, only time will tell. As for the mouse polling rate, that cannot be fixed without modifying the game's code, since it's hardcoded for it to poll the mouse 60 times per second. Sorry to get your hopes up.
Also, I don't think you have to run the game at a high framerate for it to be enjoyable. ;)

HappyDays and PythonGB are probably using a community mod for 1.3.5.3 called RTResolution that supports higher framerate than the given refresh rate, as well as also removing the forced minimum zoom for those with 4k monitors. However, I don't think it's available for 1.4 yet- or will be at all. The mod itself was last updated four years ago, though maybe we'll see it come back to life. For the time being, only time will tell. As for the mouse polling rate, that cannot be fixed without modifying the game's code, since it's hardcoded for it to poll the mouse 60 times per second. Sorry to get your hopes up.
Also, I don't think you have to run the game at a high framerate for it to be enjoyable. ;)
Can you give me a link to that community mod? I really wanna enjoy the game with higher FPS coz it is noticeably choppy if you run the game with a monitor that has higher refresh rate than the game. It makes me so sad. I really wanna enjoy the game so badly but it messes the mood coz I am forced to play it with a bad frame rate. Thanks in advance though.

Can you give me a link to that community mod? I really wanna enjoy the game with higher FPS coz it is noticeably choppy if you run the game with a monitor that has higher refresh rate than the game. It makes me so sad. I really wanna enjoy the game so badly but it messes the mood coz I am forced to play it with a bad frame rate. Thanks in advance though.
Not entirely sure if I'd be allowed to link that, I'll have to ask about it. You can find it by just searching for RTResolution 1.3.5.3, though. Like I said, it doesn't exist for 1.4 as of yet, so don't get your hopes too high.

Not entirely sure if I'd be allowed to link that, I'll have to ask about it. You can find it by just searching for RTResolution 1.3.5.3, though. Like I said, it doesn't exist for 1.4 as of yet, so don't get your hopes too high.
Actually there is an updated RTResoltuion v0.3. Adding the 1.4 support. I just don’t know how to install it. I wanna try it. I wanna enjoy the game.

Actually there is an updated RTResoltuion v0.3. Adding the 1.4 support. I just don’t know how to install it. I wanna try it. I wanna enjoy the game.
All you have to do is download the zip, then run the .exe that it gives you, go to Documents / My Games / Terraria and find the Terraria.exe file there, then go to Program Files / Steam / steamapps / common / Terraria and find Terraria.exe there, rename that to TerrariaOLD.exe, then drag the file from the Documents / My Games / Terraria into it, then run it from Steam.

Back
Top Bottom