PC Freezing Glitch When Going Into Blizzard

Discussion in 'PC Bug Reports' started by EthanMLego, Aug 21, 2017.

1. EthanMLego

EthanMLego Terrarian

I am having an issue, whenever I walk/fly into a blizzard my character freezes, but nothing else. I have included a link to a video on my YouTube channel showing the issue. I am playing in version 3.5.3 and use no mods. The glitch occurs when using a keyboard/ mouse and a controller. I use a Wii U Pro Controller paired with a Mayflash adapter.

My specs are
    1.16gb RAM
    2.1tb HDD
    3.AMD A12-9800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G
    4.64-bit
    5.Windows 10

EDIT: Updating My Sound Card Drivers Fixed The Issue!
    To do this
    1.Go To Device Manager
    2.Sound, video and game contollers
    3.Right Click Your Sound Card (My Sound Card Brand is Realtek)
    4.Click Update

Big Thanks to Leinfors and the team, figuring this issue out!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  2. Leinfors

Leinfors Quality Assurance Staff Member Moderator Re-Logic

@EthanMLego, could you please verify integrity of the game via Steam?

The following GIF will show you how to do so, if you aren't sure.

Verify integrity.gif

Let me know if that helps with the issue.

EthanMLego likes this.
  3. EthanMLego

EthanMLego Terrarian

I have just tried this, and my character still freezes when going into the blizzard.

4. Leinfors

Can you confirm you aren't using any wavebanks or custom audio files? I know you said you don't use mods, but I need to make sure, as some people don't consider those mods.

EthanMLego likes this.
  5. EthanMLego

EthanMLego Terrarian

I honestly don't even know what those are, so no I do not use wavebanks or custom audio files.

6. Leinfors

Alright, what I'd like you to try and do is get an error log for us.

As with before, follow the steps in the gif. You want to have the text shown in "Launch Options" for Terraria.

Log Errors.gif

After you've done this, the goal is to go in game and let the Blizzard freeze you, but try to quit out normally. Typically, this wouldn't be possible because the Blizzard bug stops you from using the menu, but I've been informed that if you fly up into the sky above a Blizzard, open your menu options, and then fall into it, you will be able to quit out normally once the "freeze" occurs. Doing so should make a proper error log for us to look at.

To get the log, go to Documents>My Games>Terraria>Logs. If you've only played one time since setting logerrors, there should only be one log (the most recent log will be from your most recent session). Upload that here, or on an external upload site, and we can take a look at it. Hopefully we can find the common cause of this issue.

Afterwards, you will want to turn off logerrors, as it will make a log for every play session, and that can take up a lot of HD space over time.

EthanMLego likes this.
  7. EthanMLego

EthanMLego Terrarian

Okay I did that, here is the log file.

Attached Files:

8. Leinfors

Thank you Ethan, I'm going to share this with the coders and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this!

EthanMLego likes this.
  9. EthanMLego

EthanMLego Terrarian

Okay, thank you! I hope they figure it out, as it seems I am not the only one experiencing this.

10. Leinfors

You are correct there; this is a recurring bug affecting a number of people, but unfortunately, one which our entire team is simply unable to replicate. This makes it very difficult to diagnose, because we can't narrow down the cause. But many people have been unable to provide error logs, so my hope is that yours will shed some important light on the issue!

EthanMLego likes this.
  11. EthanMLego

EthanMLego Terrarian

I hope I will be of some help!

Aurora3500 and Leinfors like this.
  12. Leinfors

Sending a PM to you :)

EthanMLego likes this.
  13. Bean Soop

Bean Soop Terrarian

I have the same issue with snowstorms freezing multiple characters. I did the above steps, here's my error log. :p

Attached Files:

14. Leinfors

Thanks for that log, its confirming some important things :)

15. Human

Human Terrarian

I am able to consistently reproduce this bug by getting caught in a blizzard without headphones or any device that can output sound, if that helps at all. However, my machine is quite old, so I have my doubts.