PC Fresh Newbie to Late-Game Guide (WIP)

Really appreciate the effort you've put into this guide. Clear, well-written, informative, and well-organized. (I'm a returning player who has been out of the loop for 2-3 years, so this is really helpful in getting back up to speed with all the changes since then.) Thanks for taking the time to write it up and for including the screenshots, those are a big help too. Cheers!

Kind of a huge unreadable wall of text (no offence.) I recommend putting the chapters into spoilers so it's easier to read.

Totally disagree, I think it's great as-is. With any sequential process doc, you don't want to hide the steps from the user or it just leads to confusion. Besides, putting large chunks of text in spoilers just increases the maintenance clicks on the user's part and doesn't add any benefit. If anything, I'd add a brief TOC with links to the sections if possible, but I don't think the forum software will support mid-post anchor tags on section headings.

First of all, I'd like to give thanks to everybody who gave kind words and/or likes on my guide.

I'm glad you guys like it!

Second, I'd like to apologize for the lack of updates; I initially meant to include screenshots on everything relevant clear through the end of the Guide, though I think I covered most of what really needs explaining (if there's something any of you had trouble understanding that you think could do better with a screenshot, please let me know and I'll see if I can screen-capture what I mean).

Third, I am pondering doing a series of How-To Youtube Videos to go along with this Guide (and perhaps update the guide with that). With 1.3 coming so soon, though, I'm wondering if I should just wait until 1.3 in case any large sweeping changes are made to how a player should play in early-to-mid game (kinda like how Ropes were added to 1.2; they were a HUGE game-changer).

What do you guys think? Would a few instructional video clips (Let's Play-sorta things) do better than screenshots to augment the guide?

I'm thinking that each boss fight, along with how to deal with underground water/lava, building a good permanent house, and how to mine hellstone would be good starts for instructional videos.

I've been referring to this guide heavily in the last few days and so far the only thing that I've seen that could have used some illustration was the build plans for different structures. I don't recall which part I was reading offhand, though. (I'm meh on adding videos, too - but I'd generally prefer to see things myself in-game first, and use the guide as reference, so I'm not the best judge there.)

Oh, I was thinking that it might be useful to add a note about making / using Sticky Bombs in the Meteorite Mining section. Also, in the bit where you mention making a second world to get access to the Crimson, you could mention that if you watch the world-generation text, it'll say "Making world bloody" instead of "Making world evil" if it's generating a Crimson biome instead of Corruption. Can help save a lot of time exploring worlds unnecessarily.

Thanks again for the great guide!

I've been referring to this guide heavily in the last few days and so far the only thing that I've seen that could have used some illustration was the build plans for different structures. I don't recall which part I was reading offhand, though. (I'm meh on adding videos, too - but I'd generally prefer to see things myself in-game first, and use the guide as reference, so I'm not the best judge there.)

Well, the basic house I already had screenshots for, and the simple EoC Arena (Skeletron's as well) I already had a screenshot for, and I already screenshotted the more advanced house stuff...

The only other structure I can think of that I mentioned in the guide was expanding the EoC arena and Plantera/Brain's Arenas (which are very similar).

Unless there's another I'm forgetting? I could easily screenshot those, yes.

Oh, I was thinking that it might be useful to add a note about making / using Sticky Bombs in the Meteorite Mining section.

Hmm. I never actually tried using those to be honest, that's why I didn't put it in there. I'll have to try it and see how it goes.

Also, in the bit where you mention making a second world to get access to the Crimson, you could mention that if you watch the world-generation text, it'll say "Making world bloody" instead of "Making world evil" if it's generating a Crimson biome instead of Corruption. Can help save a lot of time exploring worlds unnecessarily.

Thanks again for the great guide!

On my computer, the text goes by way too fast for you to actually read parts of that (except for 'Creating Jungles...' which always hangs for a few seconds). Every so often I'll catch the word 'evil' in there somewhere, but I never noticed Bloody/Evil being different, lol. Probably because the text scrolls by so fast.

That'd be one thing I really really hope they do for 1.3; give us a way to select what kind of world we get or some-such as it does have large impacts on a couple different parts of the game.

First of all, I'd like to give thanks to everybody who gave kind words and/or likes on my guide.

I'm glad you guys like it!

Second, I'd like to apologize for the lack of updates; I initially meant to include screenshots on everything relevant clear through the end of the Guide, though I think I covered most of what really needs explaining (if there's something any of you had trouble understanding that you think could do better with a screenshot, please let me know and I'll see if I can screen-capture what I mean).

Third, I am pondering doing a series of How-To Youtube Videos to go along with this Guide (and perhaps update the guide with that). With 1.3 coming so soon, though, I'm wondering if I should just wait until 1.3 in case any large sweeping changes are made to how a player should play in early-to-mid game (kinda like how Ropes were added to 1.2; they were a HUGE game-changer).

What do you guys think? Would a few instructional video clips (Let's Play-sorta things) do better than screenshots to augment the guide?

I'm thinking that each boss fight, along with how to deal with underground water/lava, building a good permanent house, and how to mine hellstone would be good starts for instructional videos.
I think it's a great idea to add the videos

Wow. This guide has helped me imensely in ways i never even thought were possible. I Have been playing the game for 3 days and I didn't know it had so much content and fun.
Really great work there.

Wow. This guide has helped me imensely in ways i never even thought were possible. I Have been playing the game for 3 days and I didn't know it had so much content and fun.
Really great work there.

^^
This is why I love writing guides, hehe.

Terraria is an awesome game, but there's soooooooo much content hidden underneath the surface. Kinda like, you know, how the game is itself? There's SO much stuff hidden underneath the surface of the world that you wouldn't know about until you look at it with some third party program that shows you the whole map or something.

But anyways, enough rambling lol. Thanks for the kind words; I'm glad you liked it!

I'm still planning on doing the video series once 1.3 hits and I've had enough time with it (probably one full playthrough) to do a series of videos to go along with this written guide.

Thank you so much for the guide! I'm new to the game (~one week of intense playing) and got stuck wandering the world. I scavenged all of hell in search of a boss or something that would help me advance, I never considered using purification powder to destroy orbs in the Corruption. Thanks again for the guide, I will use it for future reference!

Thank you so much for the guide! I'm new to the game (~one week of intense playing) and got stuck wandering the world. I scavenged all of hell in search of a boss or something that would help me advance, I never considered using purification powder to destroy orbs in the Corruption. Thanks again for the guide, I will use it for future reference!

Thanks for the kind words!

I got stuck on that very part myself during my first playthrough too.

I kept looking for new stuff to do, I eventually wound up with full gold armor, gold pickaxe, etc... and I'd run into this wierd purple stone and metal I just could not mine and I had to eventually go to the wiki and look up just what that stuff was and what was going On.

That's when I learned about the Dryad and her selling powders and you were supposed to use the powders to mine the blocks to smash the orbs, so I can certainly relate to your story.

From there on, I kept the wiki at my fingertips through the rest of my 1.1 days and by the time 1.2 came out, I had most of it memorized.

Please.... just Please... STICKY this!

I followed what Xylia wrote and I must say i am 100% HAPPY , when I bought Terraria i was totally confused, the steam forums barely helped alot ( expect some people in there which are VERY helpful) and using the wiki to get information was too overwhelming.
Then i stumbled across this guide a friend of mine posted a link and told me to read it, I read it all from start to finish then jumped right straight to Terraria, made a medium world and start reading the guide again from the start only this time I was playing Terraria while reading this guide ( It seriously helps having 2 monitors :) ) .

Thank you VERY MUCH for this wonderful guide because it made my life easier in Terraria :).

Also I did like to ask when the 1.3 patch is out will there be some differences( Like changing some things up because the new patch changed alot of things) in the guide ?

Also I did like to ask when the 1.3 patch is out will there be some differences( Like changing some things up because the new patch changed alot of things) in the guide ?

Most likely, yes.

I know that at the very least, 1.3 will change how Piggybanks and storage in general works and I bet there will be even more stuff changing, with mini-biomes and such.

I am planning on touching up the whole written guide, and also recording some video segments (though I hope some people can forgive not-so-awesome video quality, in-game text is still easily readable) on some of the things that are a little harder to explain in written words (like the bits about how to deal with water and lava and boss fights).

I will probably have to do at least 1 playthrough in 1.3 before I can do that, though -- I want to make sure I know the 1.3 stuff well enough so I don't give out any misleading information or miss the really huge stuff (the guide as it stands now is missing a couple minor things I found out in my most recent playthrough).

I'm also glad that this helped! Cases like yours are the main reason why I wrote the guide in the first place. Like you, I bought Terraria and was completely lost and confused. I was able to eventually wiki my way through it, but it took quite a bit of time and the existing guides didn't tell me what I was trying to figure out, which I had to piece together myself bit by bit, so I thought I'd go ahead and make my own once I was confident with the formula (I had used the concepts in this guide in 3-4 playthroughs before I wrote it).

@HeroofTerra: Thanks! Glad it helped! I've yet to defeat Fishron myself, but I think that's more that I enjoy the early to mid game more. Once you get all tricked out, it is usually just farmfarmfarm for accessories and dungeon stuff, etc... and I don't find that quite so fun so I usually get bored and start another playthrough. One of these days though....

Approaching Wall of Flesh / Hardmode (equals Part 13 in your guide) I want to voice a request: Could you post a screenshot of the Keymold Farm you were writing about? Maybe it's just me, but based on the written description, I'm rather uncertain how exactly the thing is supposed to look like...

Approaching Wall of Flesh / Hardmode (equals Part 13 in your guide) I want to voice a request: Could you post a screenshot of the Keymold Farm you were writing about? Maybe it's just me, but based on the written description, I'm rather uncertain how exactly the thing is supposed to look like...

OH! Yes, yes.

Haha.

I had originally planned on screenshotting that and never did actually do it.

I'll get that screenshot up soon! (I can log in and do it here in a few)

Sorry about that, I somehow completely missed the fact I was going to do that. Actually, since the playthrough I was doing when I wrote the guide, I came up with a better version that works slightly better, even. It is much easier to manage/construct.

OK, Got the screenshots (will add them to the guide proper a bit later, but here they are for the time-being):

First, With a Ruler Equipped:

95F357F10BDF36AAE204A36D663F581EE3D0BE73

Now, Without (so you can see what's going on easier):

E31004AF812C9110E432F90525306305D7CB9CC4

Now, some things to note about this:

1). There are 300 blocks of Pink Ice (which is not available until you start Hardmode). Instead of pink ice, if you can find it, use Purple or Red Ice (depends upon whether or not the Crimson/Corruption spawned in or near the Ice Biome). If there are none of these items in your world, then simply leave a hole there with access to this hole so you can place those blocks in the future. What's important, is you get the main "frame" of the area ready so you can fight the Pirates ASAP.

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE THIS ICE IS SURROUNDED ON ALL SIDES BY 5+ DIRT OR SNOW BLOCKS, AND DO NOT ALLOW ANY GRASS TO GROW NEARBY. See Minimap and note how I packed in solid dirt on all sides.

Sorry for the all caps, but that is very, very important. That's why there's snow near the Teleporter: That is to prevent grass from growing, otherwise the ice would corrupt the grass and it would spread the Hallow all over my forest area.

2). While fighting the enemies, you will stand up against the grass-less dirt block you see directly in front of me and you will swing a broadsword type weapon (Night's Edge, Cutlass, Terra Blade, what-not). While doing this, you should be 99% safe (you may take the occasional ranged hit but it shouldn't kill you).

3). IF the pirates come from the West instead of the East, you will want to place a 3 block high solid wall somewhere nearby to the left (maybe where that tree is to the left of me?). Otherwise, pirates offscreen will shoot at you (even though they can't hit you) and they won't come over. Placing a wall there forces them to come over, hop over the wall, and jump down in the hole. I had one such wall, but got tired of it being in the way so I removed it. I'll put it back if needs-be, later.

4). After you kill your first mech boss (that's when the Steampunker arrives), you can use teleporters, like the one you see in the screenshot. Until then, you'll have to mine out an entrance and hurry up and place blocks before the Pirates (or Solar Eclipse) mobs arrive. I do not recommend mining out the grass-less dirt block you see in the pics above, instead mine out the two blocks on the floor on the other side of the grass-less dirt block and then quickly fill them back in before the enemies get down in the hole.

5). That tunnel you see that goes to the left, that's for picking up drops without exiting the safe area. If you leave too many drops on the ground, the game will start erasing old drops to make room for new ones unless they are picked up. So if you see lots of stuff laying over there, might want to pick some stuff up.

6). Solar Eclipses will spawn Reapers that can go through walls. This shouldn't be too much of a problem (they couldn't kill me while I was using a Cutlass+Molten Armor), as long as you only let them hit you once or twice. They can't do enough to actually kill you and you should be able to knock them back and then keep them knocked back so they don't hit you again. The Campfire and Heart Lantern makes sure you recover your health before the next one comes (and you could always use a potion if not).

7). I put a 2x2 square of water to the right of where I'm standing. This is optional; it is more of an indicator to make sure the biome has in fact changed and that the pink blocks underneath me are actually working. As you can see, the water is pink which means I do in fact have a Hallow biome. The snowflakes prove that Snow is also active. Anything killed here can drop Frozen or Hallow Keymolds.

8). Once you get Hallow or Crimson/Corruption Keymold, simply mine out the ice and replace it with the opposite kind of ice.

EDIT: Somehow accidentally quoted myself haha.

Last edited:
I love this! Except for a few grammar errors ("Poke the Twin Eyes out"), I love it!

I was very moved to do a whole new play through using this guides instructions! :p

I love this! Except for a few grammar errors ("Poke the Twin Eyes out"), I love it!

I was very moved to do a whole new play through using this guides instructions! :p

That might be regional dialect in play there. That's how we'd say it ('poke the twin eyes out') where we live RL. But I'm glad you like it!

And new playthroughs are always interesting, a good way to pass the time until 1.3 drops.

Nice guide, but you did have a couple errors that wouldn't be difficult for a more seasoned player to recognize as a simple error, but for the new players this guide is intended for, you may cause some confusion. An example of this is when you said "like when you fought the Eater of Worlds in the Crimson" in part 17. You don't fight the eater of worlds in the Crimson you fight it in the corruption. Another instance was when you said Night's Bane instead of Nights Edge when you speaking about the cutlass' effectiveness in part 15. Other than that, great guide, I'm sure it took quite sometime to write all of that out and getting the screen shots must've been a pain as well. Good job.

Nice guide, but you did have a couple errors that wouldn't be difficult for a more seasoned player to recognize as a simple error, but for the new players this guide is intended for, you may cause some confusion. An example of this is when you said "like when you fought the Eater of Worlds in the Crimson" in part 17. You don't fight the eater of worlds in the Crimson you fight it in the corruption. Another instance was when you said Night's Bane instead of Nights Edge when you speaking about the cutlass' effectiveness in part 15. Other than that, great guide, I'm sure it took quite sometime to write all of that out and getting the screen shots must've been a pain as well. Good job.

That Night's Edge/Light's Bane thing trips me up all the stinking time, lol. I have no idea why I keep confusing the names of those two swords, lol. I wonder if I'm the only one.

As far as the Crimson/Corruption thing, yeah, that's obviously a typo. When 1.3 comes out, I'm going to do a start-to-finish scroll down through every line adding/replacing stuff (depending on what 1.3 does for the average newbie's life, of course) and hopefully little errors like that will get fixed. I will add these to the notes, though, so that they get fixed. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom