PC Fresh Newbie to Late-Game Guide (WIP)

Having referred to this guide on my way to Hardmode (having not played Terraria since 1.0), I wanted to provide a bit of context to some of the suggestions it contains and maybe add a slightly different perspective.

- Moving your base and NPCs: You don't need to worry too much about moving all your NPCs, underground, bulldozing your house, and abandoning all your surface work prior to starting Hardmode. Nothing cataclysmic is going to happen instantly upon defeating WoF. Moving your NPCs can be helpful, but it's not mandatory and it's not like you can't do so after starting Hardmode. If the prospect of all that manual labor is boring or uninteresting to you, or you just don't want to abandon the base you spent all of Normal mode building, just go ahead and kill the WoF and keep progressing. (I'd recommend building some base defenses - simple lava traps or dart trap batteries will work fine - but you can stay in your surface base without much problem.)

- Keymold farming: You also don't need to build keymold farms prior to Hardmode. Again, if that's your inclination, go for it - but if it's not, don't worry about it. You can build it later, assuming you even want one in the first place. Once you start Hardmode, it'll be a while before you can use the keymolds anyway, so farming them immediately isn't necessary.

- Biome spread: While Corruption, Crimson, and the new Hallow biomes will indeed spread more quickly after you start Hardmode, they're still manageable. You can worry about protecting your Jungle biome (or just create your own) once you start Hardmode too. It's not going to spread so quickly that you won't be able to contain it anywhere.

- Ores and altars: You can fish like mad during Normal mode and save your crates for Hardmode and then open them to get Hardmode ores without breaking any altars, if that sounds fun for you. If it doesn't, again, don't sweat it. Breaking altars and farming Hardmode ores isn't that bad. (That said, I'd recommend combining Spelunker and Mining potions and equipping an Extendo-Grip when you do go on longer mining trips, especially when looking for Titanium or Adamantium.)

All in all, if you're like me and you just want to keep adventuring and seeking out new challenges, you can go ahead and do just that. The approach Xylia suggests in this guide can be useful, but it's just one approach, and it's very heavy on thorough preparation. If you've never seen Hardmode before, you may feel like that preparation is required, but it isn't. It can be efficient, but it's not mandatory. Feel free to proceed at your own pace and take the challenges as they come, rather than spending a ton of time and energy doing so much preparation that you minimize or negate those challenges before you've even seen them for the first time.

@SuperJay Some good points you raised, though I will explain myself further on the points you raised about "Ores and Altars" as well as "Keymold Farming":

Keymold Farming: While it is true you can't use keymolds until after you kill Plantera (who is after the three mech bosses as described in the guide), making a small arena where you can farm Pirates and deal with Solar Eclipse without getting killed no matter what gear you have (even a Night's Edge and Molten Armor will survive) is nice to have before hardmode even starts. That way, if you should be the poor sod (or, in this case, extremely lucky one) who gets a Solar Eclipse or Pirate Attack on Day 1 or Day 2 of hardmode, you can jump right into the area you prepared and deal with them without having to try and scratch out emergency shelter/arena to deal with said event. It is the same reason why I preach wooden platforms on one of the oceans, or the Plantera Arena in the Jungle -- you want this stuff ready so you can go to it the moment Hardmode starts.

When Hardmode Starts, and you're a newbie... do you want to be getting killed with pickaxe in hand trying to prepare a Jungle Arena for Plantera while being stung by Moss Hornets and torn apart by the Angry Trappers, do you want Pirates to cut you into a million bits, while you're trying to dig some shelter while you're still wearing Molten Armor?

As for the Keymold Bit, well... since the same area used for the Pirates is also used for Keymolds, why not kill two birds with one stone? Keymolds are rare drops, the more crap you kill in biomes the better. If you did have a Pirate Invasion early in Hardmode (naturally, or spawned by you on purpose), wouldn't you like to maximize your chances for a keymold by killing the pirates in a said biome? And why not do a two-fer deal and get Frozen AND Hallow/Corruption/Crimson chance at the same time? That's why I strongly suggest building the Keymold Farm before killing the WoF. That way it is ready from Day 1 of Hardmode so you can use it the moment any Invasion, Blood Moon, or Solar Eclipse happens to start farming the Keymolds as early as possible considering the rarity of these items.

And again, it all comes down to whether or not you want to be fumbling around while there are enemies that can kill you in 5 seconds or less (while you're wearing Molten Armor). IMO, a newbie is better off properly preparing so they can spend more time dealing with the harder enemies than preparing terrain (something that could have been done during Normal Mode).

Just personal preference anyways.

Anyways, onto the next point:

Ores & Altars. I didn't suggest fishing up crates because I consider it to be along the lines of cheating or exploiting and I would not be surprised if this is going to be patched out in 1.3. It has gotten a lot of attention on TCF and I'm sure Cenx and the other developers have seen the threads and testimonials of people getting Adamantite/Titanium Armor on Day 1 Hardmode without smashing a single altar. I don't want to put something in my guide that is considered an exploit and something that I am fairly confident will be nerfed in the upcoming 1.3 patch. If it isn't nerfed, then I would have to question the balance decisions made by the team (unless of course they wanted to nerf it, but couldn't for technical reasons). If 1.3 comes out and that is still a valid way of obtaining Hardmode Ore, then I may include it in the guide. Until then, I'll wait before advising and/or getting people reliant on that way of obtaining their Hardmode Ore.

Hi, @Xylia! I'll respond to your points in more detail below, but I want to assure you that none of my comments were intended as criticism or to imply there's something wrong with your guide. It's great, as I've said before! I just thought that it might be helpful for newer players to understand a bit of the context around all that preparation, and provide a slightly different perspective from about how necessary that preparation was, from someone with a different playstyle than yours.

Keymold Farming: While it is true you can't use keymolds until after you kill Plantera (who is after the three mech bosses as described in the guide), making a small arena where you can farm Pirates and deal with Solar Eclipse without getting killed no matter what gear you have (even a Night's Edge and Molten Armor will survive) is nice to have before hardmode even starts.

For sure! The key words there being "nice to have." They're not mandatory, they're just nice to have. That's the only point I'm making, because not everyone is going to want to do as much preparation as you describe in the guide, and they may get the impression that that preparation is really important, when in reality it's just a playstyle choice. I think the reputation of Hardmode is sometimes a bit overblown (not in your guide, just in general) and I think newer players may get discouraged by feeling like there's so much preparation necessary, because it implies they're going to get destroyed as soon as they set foot on the surface, when in reality it's just not that different right away.

That way, if you should be the poor sod (or, in this case, extremely lucky one) who gets a Solar Eclipse or Pirate Attack on Day 1 or Day 2 of hardmode, you can jump right into the area you prepared and deal with them without having to try and scratch out emergency shelter/arena to deal with said event. It is the same reason why I preach wooden platforms on one of the oceans, or the Plantera Arena in the Jungle -- you want this stuff ready so you can go to it the moment Hardmode starts.

But you can't get a Solar Eclipse or a Pirate Invasion immediately upon starting Hardmode; you have to break an Altar before Pirate Invasions are possible, and you have to defeat at least one Mechanical Boss before Solar Eclipses can begin. You're right, of course, that some players may prefer to do all that preparation in Normal mode, but for those who don't, they aren't going to face some insurmountable obstacles later. The guide could be clearer that it's just a suggestion or an idea, that's all.

Also, FWIW, that's why I did mention building some basic defenses for your base prior to HM. (I did so after starting HM, though, and it wasn't hard.) Some simple lava traps beside your surface home will handle the early Pirate Invasions just fine, in my experience.

When Hardmode Starts, and you're a newbie... do you want to be getting killed with pickaxe in hand trying to prepare a Jungle Arena for Plantera while being stung by Moss Hornets and torn apart by the Angry Trappers, do you want Pirates to cut you into a million bits, while you're trying to dig some shelter while you're still wearing Molten Armor?

I don't know why you would go directly into the Jungle as soon as you start Hardmode, that doesn't make much sense. The general approach as the game is designed would be to kill WoF, break a few altars, and start mining Hardmode ores to upgrade your gear prior to entering the tougher biomes, just like in Normal mode. When you start a new game, you wouldn't (generally) run off to the Jungle and try to start exploring while you're wearing Wood or Copper armor; in Hardmode, it wouldn't make much sense to try to do so without upgrading your gear at all either. Hardmode is the same general style of progression as Normal mode, in my experience.

As for the Keymold Bit, well... since the same area used for the Pirates is also used for Keymolds, why not kill two birds with one stone? Keymolds are rare drops, the more crap you kill in biomes the better. If you did have a Pirate Invasion early in Hardmode (naturally, or spawned by you on purpose), wouldn't you like to maximize your chances for a keymold by killing the pirates in a said biome? And why not do a two-fer deal and get Frozen AND Hallow/Corruption/Crimson chance at the same time? That's why I strongly suggest building the Keymold Farm before killing the WoF. That way it is ready from Day 1 of Hardmode so you can use it the moment any Invasion, Blood Moon, or Solar Eclipse happens to start farming the Keymolds as early as possible considering the rarity of these items.

As I said, these are not bad ideas, they're just not necessary. You're an experienced player and you want to maximize your efficiency - that makes perfect sense. But new players starting Hardmode the first time may not want to or need to do so, just because that's your personal preference or playstyle. I don't want to do so, myself. I'd rather experience the challenge myself firsthand, and it's really hard to prepare for something you've never seen, even with a quality guide to help you. :)

As to "why not?" Because it's work, and time-consuming, and for some of us, building is boring. It's just a matter of different playstyles and priorities.

And again, it all comes down to whether or not you want to be fumbling around while there are enemies that can kill you in 5 seconds or less (while you're wearing Molten Armor). IMO, a newbie is better off properly preparing so they can spend more time dealing with the harder enemies than preparing terrain (something that could have been done during Normal Mode).

I completely understand where you're coming from, and I'm not even suggesting you change your guide unless you want to. I'm just providing a counterpoint for other new players who are entering Hardmode for the first time. It's just not so challenging as to be instant death, especially if you follow the game's cues and work on upgrading your armor and weapons early on.

Just personal preference anyways.

Exactly! See, we agree there. The only reason I posted my comments is because your guide reflects your personal preference, and that preference isn't shared by everyone. I was following your guide myself (and loved how helpful it was in Normal mode, as I've commented upthread) but I was discouraged and slowed down by all the pre-Hardmode preparation. I did some other research and asked around, and found that all that preparation wasn't actually necessary. It can be really useful, for sure, but it's not mandatory. I think part of the issue on my end was that you're trying to avoid spoilers in the guide (which is a good thing), so you don't say why people should do these things, which means your readers don't have the tools to make an independent assessment of whether those steps are truly necessary for their playstyle and experience level.

Ores & Altars. I didn't suggest fishing up crates because I consider it to be along the lines of cheating or exploiting and I would not be surprised if this is going to be patched out in 1.3. It has gotten a lot of attention on TCF and I'm sure Cenx and the other developers have seen the threads and testimonials of people getting Adamantite/Titanium Armor on Day 1 Hardmode without smashing a single altar. I don't want to put something in my guide that is considered an exploit and something that I am fairly confident will be nerfed in the upcoming 1.3 patch. If it isn't nerfed, then I would have to question the balance decisions made by the team (unless of course they wanted to nerf it, but couldn't for technical reasons). If 1.3 comes out and that is still a valid way of obtaining Hardmode Ore, then I may include it in the guide. Until then, I'll wait before advising and/or getting people reliant on that way of obtaining their Hardmode Ore.

Yeah, sorry, that wasn't a comment regarding your guide (let alone a suggestion for you to include it) so much as a related heads-up to new players approaching HM for the first time. I didn't personally find it necessary to do so at all, and like you, I don't even know if it's intended to work that way. Either way, it's not my style. I like adventuring and exploring, and I don't tend to want to spend a long time sitting around doing boring grunt-work like fishing when I could be enjoying myself with something more exciting. :)

But you can't get a Solar Eclipse or a Pirate Invasion immediately upon starting Hardmode; you have to break an Altar before Pirate Invasions are possible,

Huh, learn something new every day.

I always spawned pirates with the Pirate Map, which is the very first thing I do in Hardmode (which is why I mention it in the guide, lol) so I wasn't aware that it isn't possible for them to spawn until an altar is smashed (though to be honest, that is likely first or second in my case, thing a player is likely to do in Hardmode).

But yeah, fair enough lol.

Huh, learn something new every day.

Haha, right?? I've just recently done most of this stuff, so it's all fresh in my mind. But yeah, that's kind of part of my overall intent in mentioning some of this context and framing - I think it's easy for people to get over-intimidated by Hardmode, and not realize that a lot of the harder content is gated behind events like that. They may get the impression that as soon as they kill the WoF, all kinds of new enemies will immediately appear and begin attacking, when in reality, the escalating challenge in HM is structured just like it is in Normal mode. So when you go back to the surface and you're chilling outside your base on a sunny Hardmode afternoon, it's... pretty much the same as it was before. Bunnies hop around. A bird flies by. Some slimes hop in and get destroyed by your minion. Sure, that first night, you're getting some new enemies, but they're not overwhelming. You just need to be more careful is all. It's just like it was on your first day of Normal mode, you know? You're vulnerable again, but you're not powerless.

I always spawned pirates with the Pirate Map, which is the very first thing I do in Hardmode (which is why I mention it in the guide, lol) so I wasn't aware that it isn't possible for them to spawn until an altar is smashed (though to be honest, that is likely first or second in my case, thing a player is likely to do in Hardmode).

For sure - and like you, I built an ocean farm somewhere during Normal mode just to farm the Jellyfish Necklace and Diving Helmet. (Old habits die hard.) :) So having that ready to go as soon as I hit Hardmode - and farming the hell out of some Pirate Maps early on, and lucking into a Godly Cutlass in an early invasion - well, yeah. HUGE help. A Godly or Legendary Cutlass will last a long, long time.

(The one thing I'd consider putting in context in that section is the Nimbus Rod farming. You're totally right that it's really helpful to have, but it can also be a horrible grind to farm it, especially since it depends on the weather. It certainly helps to suggest prioritizing Angry Clouds when they're available - you can of course use Battle Potions and Water Candles to farm em during the rain if you want, but maybe clarify that it could take a while, and it's something to do when they have the opportunity, rather than a required step in their progression.)

Another preparation or early HM tip for newer players is to buy your Wings first thing, as soon as you defeat WoF. If you seed a bit of surface jungle near your base and move the Witch Doctor into it prior to beating the Wall, you can just mirror home, run over to his hut, and buy yourself some Leaf Wings the first night. All for the low low price of 1 platinum. (Which theoretically shouldn't be too hard to have ready by the end of Normal mode, but even if you don't have it, farming those pirate invasions pays an absurd amount of gold.)

I could mention the leaf wings, I find that usually, I barely have one plat to spend and I like to keep that for reforges in case I get a horrible prefix on something important, but yeah I could mention those.

Another thing I've been doing...

You know that keymold farm and how I always pack Pink, Purple, or Red Ice somewhere near my base for invasions? Well, when it begins to rain, I usually step just off-screen of that keymold farm trying to bait Angry Clouds into coming out. Well since I'm so close to snow I find that golems will sometimes spawn offscreen and wander over to me. This is the third playthrough in a row where I've gotten an Ice Feather before killing the Destroyer. Then it is just a simple trip up to a sky island of your choice, kill wyverns 2-3 times (which really isn't that hard to do with a variety of weapons, especially ranged ones) for the Souls of Flight.

I will likely mention this too, as Ice Wings are in the same tier as the Fire Wings I already have mentioned in the guide (both of which are better than Leaf IIRC).

I could mention the leaf wings, I find that usually, I barely have one plat to spend and I like to keep that for reforges in case I get a horrible prefix on something important, but yeah I could mention those.

Yeah, I think it's worth mentioning that it's possible to get the Leaf Wings really early on, b/c if players have the Witch Doctor living in their base, they'll never see the Wings in his inventory. He has to be in the Jungle (I think surface) and it has to be nighttime for the item to show up in his inventory. It's just another option for players who either have the money already and don't mind spending it, or who want to farm that cash quickly. Really, if they've followed your advice and built an Ocean farm already, they can basically print money at will. (With each Pirate Invasion yielding 20-30g, you can literally earn 100g in minutes, especially if you have Water Candles and Battle Potions in the mix.)

You know that keymold farm and how I always pack Pink, Purple, or Red Ice somewhere near my base for invasions? Well, when it begins to rain, I usually step just off-screen of that keymold farm trying to bait Angry Clouds into coming out. Well since I'm so close to snow I find that golems will sometimes spawn offscreen and wander over to me. This is the third playthrough in a row where I've gotten an Ice Feather before killing the Destroyer. Then it is just a simple trip up to a sky island of your choice, kill wyverns 2-3 times (which really isn't that hard to do with a variety of weapons, especially ranged ones) for the Souls of Flight.

I will likely mention this too, as Ice Wings are in the same tier as the Fire Wings I already have mentioned in the guide (both of which are better than Leaf IIRC).

That's really interesting! You're right, definitely worth adding as another possible option. (I think a lot of this is just about providing players with alternate paths to a goal, so they can adapt to their playstyle and experience.) I was getting that with Jungle creatures - my Witch Doctor's little localized surface Jungle that I'd built was just off-screen from my arena, and I'd occasionally get Derplings or Turtles wandering in. And yeah, Wyverns are easy to spawn and not too hard to kill; you might mention that players can return to their arena on the ground and the Wyvern will follow, too. (When my brother and I were building a skybridge in our world, we couldn't go 20 feet without another Wyvern spawning. It got really obnoxious, but we got very good at killing them quickly.)

Oh, and FWIW, the Leaf Wings, Ice Wings, and Flame Wings are all in the same tier and are identical except for appearance. They're among the best wings you can get, too - I think there are only 3-4 other pairs that have better stats, and one of those is from Fishron.

Apparently, Steam changed the Screenshot URL (it was cloud-4.steampowered.com, it is now cloud-4.steamusercontent.com) which broke all the screenshots in my guide.

I'll have to go back and change all the URLs when I get home from work later or something.

Anyone wanting to view my guide before I get the screenshots fixed can right click on the broken image, click "View Image" and then make that change in the browser's URL box and hit enter and it should work.

Very well-done guide! I think you should mention the Cross Necklace in the Destroyer Battle though. For me, at least, it makes the battle ten times easier.

Very well-done guide! I think you should mention the Cross Necklace in the Destroyer Battle though. For me, at least, it makes the battle ten times easier.

I've tried to make as least of an emphasis on RNG farming as possible, and I've chosen methods that employ things gotten from mostly non-RNG sources wherever possible. That, and if you see my guide on mech bosses, you'll note that in the video therein, I have pretty much zero defensive accessories whatsoever (I didn't even use a Band of Regeneration, or a Philosopher's Stone, or any of those), outside of Warding/Armored on my gear.

I'm trying to emphasize that this can be done with utmost minimum gear if the right type of arena and preparations are made, which is the whole point of this guide. Obviously, if you use things like a Cross Necklace, or a Philosopher's Stone (or, indeed, Charm of Myths), or maybe even the Star Veil, the battle will be that much easier than what you see in the videos that I've posted.

Now, I suppose I could make mention of optional farmable accessories that could help, true. I'll keep that in mind for the 1.3 re-write. Thanks for the suggestion!

At long last, I finally remembered to fix the screenshots thanks to someone reminding me. I had completely forgotten about it!

Holy hell, that's a mighty guide you just typed/compiled for us, this is why came to the forums after getting lost in the bloody wiki (Ye gads do I hate wikis) I was looking for this exact thing, thank you so very much for your hard work in providing this for us!

And yeah, I'm pretty much a newbie to this game.

Holy hell, that's a mighty guide you just typed/compiled for us, this is why came to the forums after getting lost in the bloody wiki (Ye gads do I hate wikis) I was looking for this exact thing, thank you so very much for your hard work in providing this for us!

And yeah, I'm pretty much a newbie to this game.

Well, it's been awhile since I've made this guide, but I'm glad to hear it has helped! I'm trying to find the time to re-do it properly for 1.3, but RL has been harder these days.

A great guide, but it really needs a huge update considering the new content like the Cultists,Lunar event and moon lord, as well updates like that key molds don't drop in Pc version anymore(keys drop directly) and such.

But aside from that its a great read!!

A great guide, but it really needs a huge update considering the new content like the Cultists,Lunar event and moon lord, as well updates like that key molds don't drop in Pc version anymore(keys drop directly) and such.

But aside from that its a great read!!

Yeah, this guide was written during 1.2.4.1 and it is missing a lot of things. Right now, I'm finishing up on the "last" thing that needs done -- researching yo-yos which I had put off doing because I didn't really 'connect' with them at first... still find them lacking in some areas, but I will at least include them in the newest guide as I have found that they work great on some things (and terrible on others).

Idd, Yoyo's was something i had to get used to as well, since i had't played the game in a almost 2 years untill recently(WoW and RL kept me busy) but they can be suprisely effective early on and in the later stages as well.

Great guide! I just bought the game and had a very unclear understanding of where to start and what to do and this really helped me a lot. Thanks!

Having just read this approx 135hrs into my adventure when i didn't even know how to build a house; and am now at the stage of pre-Lunatic Cultist i've learnt quickly, especially with the very helpful aid of the wiki. But in saying that your guide has pointed out a few things that i've unknowingly overlooked even for update 1.3 of which i'll detail to below:
1. I built my house no more approx 100 tiles from the spawn location i spawned at, upon opening the world as a "host & play" after some serious base expansion that spawn clearance is now like 50 tiles with one occasion 2 others spawning underneath my glowing mushroom farm floor.
2. In regards to the additional hardmode corruption/crimson biome spread based on the point of WoF kill i have an "uncontainable" amount of corruption to control if i wish to keep the mardmode world (i favourited the pre-hardmode one, copied it from the save location, renamed the file, pasted it back, then loaded the copy and turned that one into hardmode and am frequently backing up both player & world data) as i have now killed the WoF like 10 times just to get the emblems for crafting. I now have a lot of work to do to convert the extra ones back to normal and contain the original (only 1 more left to contain)
3. My only question i have is in regards to "Chlorophyte Farming"; i read the wiki page on it then started setting it up to my disappointment of not a single ore spread. I started by digging a tunnel with a hole at the end (the tunnel and hole have stone walls placed in them) of it on either side of the hellevator at the start of underground layer with the 7*6 mud blocks 20 tiles from the vine ladder in the center of the 3 wide hellevator shaft. This is method is then repeated so the top of the next mudblock is 38 tiles below the bottom of the one above; this has been done twice now for a total of 4 seedable mudblocks and yet no growth. Any ideas as to why i haven't got any growth yet?

This guide has been excellent; i only wish i found it prior to starting on my SP world ;)

Note:
Aside from the addition of the Lunar Event concluding in Moon Lord along with all the items directly related to it, any other items added/tweaked and other additions/tweaks. You only really need to revise the guide; a complete rewrite is unnecessary as not that much has been added really compared to the content prior to the 1.3 update.

Back
Top Bottom