Biomes & Nature Freshly-planted tree changes

ItsTheKais

Steampunker
Because making wood happen is not as straightforward as it ought to be.

Give each tree type its own unique seed
So let me get this straight. All these trees are so different that they deserve their own names, yet they all grow from (and produce) the exact same Acorn? And one of them is even a palm tree that looks like a coconut right after you plant it? Umm, okay. Whatever you say, pal.

Here's a better idea: each tree gets its own seed that can be planted on any soil type (EDIT: or at least a wider variety - I don't see why bare dirt wouldn't support virtually all of them, for example) and will always produce another of that tree that drops the same wood (and the same seeds). Gone are the days where you had to carefully quarantine a dangerous orchard in order to obtain Ebonwood and Shadewood in any reasonable quantity.

tree_seeds.png

Possible seed variants, left to right: Acorn (wood), Horror Nut (ebon), Gristle Pod (shade), Rainbow Fruit (pearl), Pine Cone (boreal), Coconut (palm), Wingseed (rich mahogany), Spore Colony (glowing mushroom)

Let leftover stumps grow back
The game allows you to cut a tree in places other than the base, leaving behind a stump of variable height. But there's not really a reason to do this beyond decoration, since the stump will remain as it is forever. I propose that stumps can be treated as essentially a sapling, meaning that new tree segments can grow from it in proper conditions. This can be a way of getting more wood when the seed supply is thin, and trees can gradually be grown much taller by making the cut at the top so a "new" tree grows on top of the rest of the tree. (EDIT: or, a more exterior-design-friendly approach: stumps can accept another of the same seed, so players can easily choose between stumps for decoration and taller trees)

Let Rich Mahogany saplings destroy jungle foliage in order to grow
If you've ever tried to grow Rich Mahogany trees, you've probably encountered a bit of frustration regarding those bushes that pop up on jungle grass. You have to either flood your tree farm or go through and cut down all the bushes constantly to make space for the trees, and if you've planted saplings, they can even be destroyed by the bushes! I shouldn't have to explain why all of this is dumb!

Away with the topless trees!
They just look irredeemably stupid.

Let saplings be planted in Clay Pots
A purely decorative suggestion, shamelessly plucked from Minecraft, but who wouldn't want a little potted tree in their home? This also synergizes with the different seed types shown above.

Last edited:
Yes!
also, remember when every other tree had no leaves?
i hated that
i ALWAYS prioritize those trees
because they are uglier than this:
UGLIEST-DOG-IN-BRITAIN-01.jpg

Yes, I literally just looked up "ugly" on google images.

I like topless trees because they give me an excuse to chop them down for wood when I otherwise want to keep my forests looking nice, haha. But the game wouldn't suffer any if they were removed and all trees only grew with tops.

I'm not sure about growing any tree anywhere, it just seems like a botanical thing... like, if you grew them in pots (which I'm fine with, though perhaps the planters would be better as they are larger), you're meticulously managing their environment, but if you just stick them in the ground anywhere and expect them to grow, it just seems like it shouldn't work. Again, the upcoming planters would be a nice way around the whole 'quarantining a dangerous biome for farming purposes' thing.

I know, I know, realism in an unrealistic game. But it just doesn't feel right to grow corrupt plants on pure or hallowed ground, especially when the coding's natural inclination is to convert trees whenever an alternate spreading biome spreads under them. To have to change that fundamental code might be more problematic than just choosing to manage quarantine, which really isn't that hard.

I do really want Corrupt, Crimson, and Palm trees to drop 'acorns', though, I get a bit annoyed when I go on a Shade/Ebonwood farming spree but also have to chop down loads of regular trees in order to replant the Shade/Ebonwood... which leaves fewer acorns to replant the trees that I had to cut down to get those acorns! (I know I could buy them from the Dryad but shhhhhh that's one step too many)

TL;DR, overall, I like this suggestion! The seed designs are very nice, and the concept is valuable, and the only thing I'm not fully on-board with is the planting of anything anywhere aspect.

Living trees have special acorn blocks that, when near dirt and water, grow into a living tree, though VERY VERY SLOWLY.

View attachment 16462

Possible seed variants, left to right: Acorn (wood), Horror Nut (ebon), Gristle Pod (shade), Rainbow Fruit (pearl), Pine Cone (boreal), Coconut (palm), Wingseed (rich mahogany), Spore Colony (glowing mushroom)
Thought that coconut was a confection seed at first :dryadtongue: It does look cookie-like. Good job on the sprites!

Let leftover stumps grow back
The game allows you to cut a tree in places other than the base, leaving behind a stump of variable height. But there's not really a reason to do this beyond decoration, since the stump will remain as it is forever. I propose that stumps can be treated as essentially a sapling, meaning that new tree segments can grow from it in proper conditions. This can be a way of getting more wood when the seed supply is thin, and trees can gradually be grown much taller by making the cut at the top so a "new" tree grows on top of the rest of the tree.
I'll have to disagree on that one.. as you said, decoration, so what if someone wants there to be a stump? I think it would be better if trees would have a chance to grow worldgen big instead.

Away with the topless trees!
They just look irredeemably stupid.
*insert topless joke here*

Agree with everything else.

May i request trees also having growth stages, first, a seed, then a sprout, then a sapling, then a half-grown tree, a full-grown tree, and an over-grown/elder tree (like the very very tall ones but maybe with vines)

Thank you- thank you for addressing this issue in a clean and easy to understand manner that has gotten the support of this many people so far. I'm so sick of Acorns being the only planting type...All my supports <3

Well, this is surprisingly my most popular suggestion, by a wide margin. Thank you for your comments! I've updated the original post in order to address some of your points.

The idea is very nice, and the sprites look pleasant. I have to agree with Daimera and Snickerbobble though.

No growing from stumps(which is probably not feasible with how trees in Terraria grow anyway), and no planting in every tile. Specific seeds for specific tile.

Otherwise, this is a grand suggestion.

Wood is one of my favorite building materials. I fully support any thread that might make it easier to farm wood.

All my yes. All of it. I literally had to scrape the bottom of the barrel labeled "yes" to give you enough yes. And it killed me not to give you the "yes"s I put in this post. I think I should give you a few "indeed"s too. Since I ran out of "yes".

Back
Top Bottom