tModLoader Frontiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masi

Skeletron Prime
Banner-2.png

Welcome to the Frontiers Mod official Terraria forum page! Frontiers is a vast content mod with 7 sections or Frontiers. Each with their own connected theme. The ice age, jurassic age, meteor age, mystic age, technological age, nuclear age, and the final frontier: Space. Each with a boss and a plentiful amount of items, enemies, and lore to uncover. The frontiers are locked behind a well thought out progression complex. You must defeat the respective boss to move on *the only exception is the first frontier, it is active upon world generation*. Seven Frontiers, seven different stories, new enemies to fight, new people to meet.

The Journeyman
This Town NPC sells quests to the player. These quests can lead the player on a variety of vanilla and mod
Quest1.JPG

themed adventures. When completed, quests award a varying amount of Mystic Medallions. An ancient currency used by The Runecaster Alliance. Quest completion also awards reputation with the Alliance.
There are a few quest types:
Tasks, Bounty Raids, Stash Runs, Hidden Caches, Adventures, and Challenges. This list can and will expand in the near future...

Each quest within the same quest type won't be tediously similar, the types are a broad category. One Bounty Raid could be hunting an outlaw of the Alliance and one could be protecting yourself from bounty hunters. Harder quests will. award more medallions and reputation.

The Runecaster Alliance
Rep1.JPG
A strong alliance of Runecasters from around the universe that fell when the dark ages began. There has been rumors that
the alliance is reforming after hundreds of years of dormancy. Although the art of Runecasting has been deemed lost, you
can spark a new age of Runecasting and help bring back The Runecaster Alliance to what it used to be. Due to the universal
shortage of proficient Runecasters, the Alliance is looking for worthy members to join the council. You can impress the
Alliance by increasing your reputation. Do this by completing quests through The Journeyman. You current reputation with the Alliance can be checked at The Journeyman. At rank 25 an Alliance representative will move in. They will sell Runecaster items, accessories, weapons, and texts in exchange for Mystic Medallions. The future of the Alliance is in your hands.

Runecaster Class
The new class in Frontiers. This isn't a new damage type or couple new weapons, this is a new way of playing Terraria. Most classes are your style of play, like melee, ranged or magic/mage. Runecaster is a full blown new play style. It uses an assortment of weapons from the other classes to create a play style with all
NatureEssence.JPG
classes in mind. If you like two classes but can't decide, Runecaster combines them as well as adds skill and complexity through casting. This class is still being planned out, but when it is ready, It will be a game changer. Runecasters use all weapon types in harmony, so certain pros and cons of classes can be shifted in battle. Runes can be engraved with a handful of essence types commonly found throughout the world. When bound with a Runecaster weapon like a sword, it gives it the essence engraved in the rune. The weapon can now be used in harmony with another runecaster weapon to cast. Although this may sound tricky, switching between weapons in Runecaster can be mastered to provide massive damage boosts. Once an enemy has been hit with the first weapon it has a certain time frame to be hit again to cast upon, this time frame is displayed as a particle effect and can be increased through Runecaster Texts. If you hit again with the proper essence weapon you cast the rune and do extra damage. Let's say you hit a Zombie with a [Magma Essence] rune sword, it gives the particle effect so you know you can switch to another weapon and cast. You switch to a [Frost Essence] rune bow and shoot an arrow. The zombie is hit with the successful cast, because fire beats ice and creates a powerful boost. There is so much to explain and learn. Videos and more screenshots will be posted. Please provide feedback on this in the comments!

7 Frontiers Content coming soon. Please note this layout will not look right on mobile devices in portrait mode.
-Masi

Last edited:
Interesting idea.

I thought though first when you said technological advancement, etc. that it's like stone age --> ancient age/antiquity --> medieval --> premodern --> modern --> digital/future
the ice age, then dinosaurs then alien or whatever sounds much more chaotic tech-wise... but terraria is kind of like that to begin with.

but how would biomes change from one to another? like snow, then turning into forest then whatever? what would trigger these changes, what would happen with structures of previous frontiers, etc.

Interesting idea.

I thought though first when you said technological advancement, etc. that it's like stone age --> ancient age/antiquity --> medieval --> premodern --> modern --> digital/future
the ice age, then dinosaurs then alien or whatever sounds much more chaotic tech-wise... but terraria is kind of like that to begin with.

but how would biomes change from one to another? like snow, then turning into forest then whatever? what would trigger these changes, what would happen with structures of previous frontiers, etc.
The Biome would change by defeating the respective boss, and time will also play a factor. A day or two at most.
The progression will go a little quicker than you might've thought. The 5th frontier is when technology starts becoming a key part, here are the 7 Frontiers in one word.
1st Frozen
2nd Forest/tribal
3rd meteor
4th mystical
5th technological
6th nuclear
Final Space

The Biome would change by defeating the respective boss, and time will also play a factor. A day or two at most.
The progression will go a little quicker than you might've thought. The 5th frontier is when technology starts becoming a key part, here are the 7 Frontiers in one word.
1st Frozen
2nd Forest/tribal
3rd meteor
4th mystical
5th technological
6th nuclear
Final Space

I'm still not quite sure how would they change. Like what about structures, etc.? And what about modifications the players do on the biome?

I'm still not quite sure how would they change. Like what about structures, etc.? And what about modifications the players do on the biome?
So the first frontier which is in the snow biome would have the Tribal Huts with chests. When the tribal boss is defeated the biome will slowly melt over the next few days, this will be done by an "X" amount of snow tiles being converted into our new forest tiles. The huts will become run down once the biome is officially converted. That happens exactly 2 full days after defeating the mini-boss(this is only for the frozen frontier btw). Any modifications to the biome or huts won't matter, all snow tiles will be eventually made into forest tiles. player built structures that aren't part of the world gen are exempt. large trees grow over the next two days also. The structures generated below and aboveground stay the same, the tiles just change. That is different for the meteor though, only a small amount of pre-gened structures will remain after impact. Think normal meteor impact, but a lot bigger and more detailed.

So the first frontier which is in the snow biome would have the Tribal Huts with chests. When the tribal boss is defeated the biome will slowly melt over the next few days, this will be done by an "X" amount of snow tiles being converted into our new forest tiles. The huts will become run down once the biome is officially converted. That happens exactly 2 full days after defeating the mini-boss(this is only for the frozen frontier btw). Any modifications to the biome or huts won't matter, all snow tiles will be eventually made into forest tiles. player built structures that aren't part of the world gen are exempt. large trees grow over the next two days also. The structures generated below and aboveground stay the same, the tiles just change. That is different for the meteor though, only a small amount of pre-gened structures will remain after impact. Think normal meteor impact, but a lot bigger and more detailed.

That sounds complex and difficult to code I guess, but my main concern is more that biomes that change, or things that affect the world changiing/destroying tiles beyond the players' control are rare, I guess and probably because such changes are usually not well received by the players.

Would if affect the actual snow biome generated upon world generation? or some biome unique to this mod?

That sounds complex and difficult to code I guess, but my main concern is more that biomes that change, or things that affect the world changiing/destroying tiles beyond the players' control are rare, I guess and probably because such changes are usually not well received by the players.

Would if affect the actual snow biome generated upon world generation? or some biome unique to this mod?
This would be built into the snow biome similar to the glacier from tremor. Some existing snow biome would remain. So to answer your question. It would effect the world generated biome a little. I wanted this mod to be different and I see a changing, living breathing biome as something new. This biome will be roughly half of the existing snow biome, think of this biome as a canvas for each frontier. Snow, melts becomes forest, meteor hits. Only changes will happen in this biome!

Hi everyone,

I'm a friend of Masi0819 IRL and I offered to help out with this mod. I don't want to over commit to this project as I have a lot of other things in my life keeping me busy and the reason I am doing this is solely out of my own curiosity and I am not getting paid, but I'm hoping to at least help this project get up and running. I definitely think that what he is proposing right now is a little over ambitious and will need to be scaled back some. I will be talking to him today about making some changes so expect an update soon.

This looks like a really cool mod! Are there any support banners coming soon? Keep up the nice sprites!
Thank you! It means a lot! I haven’t thought about support banners yet but I’ll work on some and release them in the coming weeks.

This sounds like a great mod! However, I fear that the textures might be sub par, such as the title.
I’m working on a better title, and the title isn’t a great representation of the textures. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you can enjoy this mod one day!

Update (6/06/19):
I have been updating the forum a lot recently and it seems excessive and each update only adds a tiny bit to the overall post. So I have decided to step back and rather than constantly updating the forum, release a large forum revamp weeks down the road that will show off a much larger amount of new content. This will give the team a better chance to collect and grind away the mod in the shadows. See you all in a couple of weeks!​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom