Frost Moon Final Wave in Record Time (Horseman's Blade Semi-Autofarm)

DicemanX

Brain of Cthulhu
Here's the current record for the Frost Moon final wave (1:15am):

VJpcXOc.jpg

Full Picture of the Frost Moon Semi-Autofarm:

ylFqoIw.jpg

Frost Moon Semi-Autofarm Wiring:

TcOFJFq.jpg

How the Farm Functions:

The player teleports into the mob statue box via the blue wire coming in from the right. Teleporting into the box also actuates the floor at the bottom, exposing the lava underneath and blocking spawns there. Once inside the box, the player anchors to the floor and hits the switch below that activates the bird statue on the far left. The summoned bird passes over pressure plates that activate 1-second timers. The timers control both the spear traps above the spawn surface, and the mobs statues in the box. Each statue has 5 separate wires connecting to it at 5 different activation points to boost spawn rates. Eight different mob statues are used to maximize mob spawns, since only 3 of any type of mob can spawn at a time from a statue inside the box.

The player then holds down the left mouse button to start swinging the Horseman's Blade to generate pumpkin projectiles, then triggers the Frost Moon at 7:30pm and consumes the following:

Rage Potion:
+10% critical hit chance

Wrath Potion:
+10% damage

Pumpkin Pie:
Sake:

Ichor Flask:
-20 defense for mobs hit with an ichor debuff

Swinging the Blade will generate lots of pumpkin projectiles - 1 projectile is generated for each hit landed on a mob. During the fight the player will be constantly hit by mobs from statues, which will serve to protect the player against most of the Ice Queen damage. The regeneration rate from gear, Heart Lantern and Campfire completely offsets the mob damage so there's no need to consume any defensive potions.

Optimal Gear:

Legendary Horseman's Blade
Beetle Helmet
Beetle Scale Mail
Beetle Leggings

Lucky Destroyer Emblem
Lucky Fire Gauntlet
Lucky Mechanical Glove
Lucky Celestial Stone
Lucky Moon Stone

The Beetle Armor set is used for the massive boosts to melee speed and damage - the faster the player swings the Horseman's Blade the more pumpkin projectiles are generated.

World Download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4b_4cIU1vVBRHA0TE0xeC1uWG8/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
As expected, another great grinder from you, Dice. Keep up the fantastic work with these! You're certainly making the lives of a lot of Terrarians much easier haha.

With how powerful The Horseman's Blade can be, I can't help but think that the projectile bonus is going to be heavily nerfed in 1.3. I hope I'm wrong though :/

Thanks all, and nice pic AverageTerrarian - made me laugh ;). It might be possible to reduce the final wave time even more - working on it!

Decided to expand the arena:

NlFOp6Q.jpg

Also tested the Pumpkin Moon with this arena - final wave time is 10:28pm. Pretty fast!

FA08752BE8EA5FA30B300301B9E8E5FFAF215351

The farm now features overhead spear traps and an idea from ZeroGravitas' latest video (the house with NPC + pressure plates to activate the mob statues in the player box):

I want to see if I can reach the final wave before 1am.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this :) Here's my personal best using a ghetto version of your arena.
View attachment 12875

Wow, nicely done! That is one massive improvement over the previous wave times! I haven't seen any times better than 1:14am so far on my end. What gear/accessories are you using and with what reforges? Also what's in the mob box and what's the wiring look like? Just curious if there's anything you did that's different from what I've been doing to explain the difference in final wave times. Also, is this in 1.2.4.1? I ask because in previous versions there was something that permitted better wave times:

Gandalf K posted this:

1-jpg.124451

Source: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threa...g-the-final-wave-in-record-time.154083/page-3

With how powerful The Horseman's Blade can be, I can't help but think that the projectile bonus is going to be heavily nerfed in 1.3. I hope I'm wrong though :/
I doubt it. Some insane-in-a-good-way people like DicemanX will always find a way to manipulate and abuse game mechanics, but that's not something regular people like you and me should be punished for in my opinion. :)

Yes this is the latest version and i can get it to reach 12:45ish consistently.
The shark/mimic statues were soaking too many pumpkins so they had to go.
Gear wise I just went for what had most damage and reforged all lucky.
Gear&Wiring.png

Last edited:
Yes this is the latest version and i can get it to reach 12:45ish consistently.
The shark/mimic statues were soaking too many pumpkins so they had to go.
Gear wise I just went for what had most damage.
View attachment 12876

Interesting - based on your wiring you're getting 2 statue activations (not 6) per statue every second. However, that might ironically work in your favor because it might actually be better not to flood the player box with too many critters. I'll have to try this and see if it makes a difference on my end!

I did a test run with 2 activations. Got final wave at 01:20 and died shortly after that (which never happend before).
Might try some pirate invasions next. Starting the night with 50+ pumpkins in the air could be good.

I did a test run with 2 activations. Got final wave at 01:20 and died shortly after that (which never happend before).
Might try some pirate invasions next. Starting the night with 50+ pumpkins in the air could be good.

I usually start killing mobs with the blade before 7:30pm to put pumpkins in the air, and then quickly shift momentarily to the naughty present to trigger the moon event. When you say you did a run with only two activations, how did you modify the wiring? I ask because we're trying to pin down certain wiring mechanics and if you're seeing spawn rates with your current wiring that allows you to reach ~12:45am final wave times then that would indicate that we might have missed something in our testing.

Any chance you could put up a video? Even just the first few minutes after the start of the Moon event would be good - it would be interesting to see if your spawn rate is better because your spawn platform is a bit lower than mine relative to the player, and you use fewer spear traps in each battery which might not interfere with spawning as much (presuming that spears might have any impact on spawn rate, but something has to account for the difference in final wave times). I'll test thing myself as well to see if I can pin down what allows for the reaching of the final wave before 1am!

I usually start killing mobs with the blade before 7:30pm to put pumpkins in the air, and then quickly shift momentarily to the naughty present to trigger the moon event. When you say you did a run with only two activations, how did you modify the wiring? I ask because we're trying to pin down certain wiring mechanics and if you're seeing spawn rates with your current wiring that allows you to reach ~12:45am final wave times then that would indicate that we might have missed something in our testing.

Any chance you could put up a video? Even just the first few minutes after the start of the Moon event would be good - it would be interesting to see if your spawn rate is better because your spawn platform is a bit lower than mine relative to the player, and you use fewer spear traps in each battery which might not interfere with spawning as much (presuming that spears might have any impact on spawn rate, but something has to account for the difference in final wave times). I'll test thing myself as well to see if I can pin down what allows for the reaching of the final wave before 1am!

This was the best my computer could do (it reaches final wave 7:50)
http://www.twitch.tv/mellik/c/5610273
It is laggy as hell but it shows the time when i hit wave 20 and a couple others.
Here's a link to my world if anyone else wants to take a crack at it.
http://www.filedropper.com/eventarena_2

Last edited:
It is laggy as hell but it shows the time when i hit wave 20 and a couple others.

Thanks for putting up the video! Despite the lag, I think I realize exactly what the key is to your superior times. Your pumpkins largely hung around near the spawn surface because your spawn surface is a greater distance below the player box than in my arenas. I'll give your arena a shot a little later - thanks for the world download so that I can test this out for myself! I'll also adjust the spawn surface level on my world to match yours and see what happens.

Last edited:

OK did some testing with your world. I noticed that your dimensions are in fact almost identical to mine, but it's the resolution that's different (it seems based on your pic that you're running at 1200x800, and I'm running at max resolution 1900x1080 or close to that). So I tried to do runs at both resolutions. Here are some outcomes:

Max resolution:

D172B79E00DE3BF4FB4F941708BB405C4DF274F7

1200x800 resolution:

A091A5C6790FE5A63152EECE4291857FC19D07A5

From repeated trials times ranged between 1:45am to around 2:30am for max resolution. Resolution shouldn't actually make any difference from what is currently known, but I thought I'd check anyways.

This is all very bizarre - either this is something related to my computer, or my version of Terraria. It's obviously not map related since I'm using your own map. Do you connect to Terraria via Steam? Would you do me a favor and try the arena in my map to see what sort of times you get?

http://www.filedropper.com/ultimatehmworldv44_1

The arena has two switches once you teleport into it - one turns on the traps and the other turns on the hoik engine to turn on all the statues (a third switch controls the actuation of the ground to reveal lava underneath - the red torch next to that switch should be off if the ground is actuated). The map is close to nighttime already.

Last edited:
I gave it a shot earlier today.
OK did some testing with your world. I noticed that your dimensions are in fact almost identical to mine, but it's the resolution that's different (it seems based on your pic that you're running at 1200x800, and I'm running at max resolution 1900x1080 or close to that). So I tried to do runs at both resolutions. Here are some outcomes:

From repeated trials times ranged between 1:45am to around 2:30am for max resolution. Resolution shouldn't actually make any difference from what is currently known, but I thought I'd check anyways.

This is all very bizarre - either this is something related to my computer, or my version of Terraria. It's obviously not map related since I'm using your own map. Do you connect to Terraria via Steam? Would you do me a favor and try the arena in my map to see what sort of times you get?

http://www.filedropper.com/ultimatehmworldv44_1

The arena has two switches once you teleport into it - one turns on the traps and the other turns on the hoik engine to turn on all the statues (a third switch controls the actuation of the ground to reveal lava underneath - the red torch next to that switch should be off if the ground is actuated). The map is close to nighttime already.

I am connected via steam and using the latest version.
The only thing I think it can be is the accessories where i chose not to go for the Lucky Eye of the Golem.
My pb in Dicemans.png

Back
Top Bottom